Ebay and copied software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
Noticed a lot of software on Ebay at the moment on copied discs such as the following example of Tom Tom. Many come with the disclaimer as I have copied in below the link.

I am assuming it is illegal to do this?? What is the consequence of doing this or dont any authorities look at what is being sold on ebay??

Tom Tom 3

Please do not bid unless you are sure.
Whilst you will be able to use all of the functions
you will not be able to register this software.
This will come on non original discs.
Pictures are for illustration purposes only.
PDA and GPS receiver not included

Chances are that it hasn;t been spotted/reported, notice that it's only a 1 day listing!

I bought a copy of the epc (I knew it had to be a copy) on ebay. I emailed the seller if it was the US or UK version. He replied it was both the US and the UK.
It arrived and was totally the US version that was a pig to get working but useless to anyone in the UK.
I complained and got a refund.
I guess you only get what you pay for.

Thmsshaun said:
Noticed a lot of software on Ebay at the moment on copied discs such as the following example of Tom Tom. Many come with the disclaimer as I have copied in below the link.

I am assuming it is illegal to do this?? What is the consequence of doing this or dont any authorities look at what is being sold on ebay??

Tom Tom 3

Please do not bid unless you are sure.
Whilst you will be able to use all of the functions
you will not be able to register this software.
This will come on non original discs.
Pictures are for illustration purposes only.
PDA and GPS receiver not included

You can sleep easy at night now he's been banned from Ebay

Captain Peacock said:
You can sleep easy at night now he's been banned from Ebay

It was by pure accident that I came across the link of the seller selling the illegal copies from this Mercedes site, I had no option but to report the matter not only to Ebay but Tom Tom as well, ps. I am not normally a "snitch", I have not been thanked by Tom Tom for informing them as yet to what was going on, I do not wish to be neither, but that's by the way. We all could do this kind of selling if we had the nerve to do so, copy and sell, but in the long run jobs are at stake as well as the Tom Tom company loosing revenue, they brought out a good product enjoyed and used by lots of people

we all like to gain a bit for free, myself included, but this person was to me going over the top for a fast buck or two,on the QT with his quick fly by night auctions, I didn't like it, neither did some of you.

There are some of us on this forum who do sell their products and wares on Ebay, myself included, Ebay needs to be an honest and safe place to trade, there is no room on Ebay trading site for people like this.

Quantum2+2 said:
I bought a copy of the epc (I knew it had to be a copy) on ebay. I emailed the seller if it was the US or UK version. He replied it was both the US and the UK.
It arrived and was totally the US version that was a pig to get working but useless to anyone in the UK.
I complained and got a refund.
I guess you only get what you pay for.

the US one can be used here too. my CLK vin worked on my US copy. u just have to make sure that your car model is also available in the US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom