Ebay and Email Hacked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
My uber account was somehow hacked a couple of weeks ago resulting in me deleting the app and no longer using uber. Not sure how this happened as I don't use uber on pc

Yesterday, I had to change my password in order to log into ebay and saw messages stating "unauthorised use of my account" where there were many listings for a particular item on sunday.
There were also messages from buyers demanding their money back!
Anyway, this was all sorted this morning via EBAY phone call and now my password is changed and cannot be changed until i enter a pin sent to my mobile.

I have not received any emails from my talktalk account since Sunday am, which coincides with when my ebay account was hacked.
TT are investigating this still and i have changed my email password, but still no emails, even via their webportal.

It would seem that my emails are being intercepted somehow - how is this possible?
I have now had to go through all my accounts with that email and change all the passwords.

I consider myself to be pc savvy, and have malwarebytes real time security. I have not opened anything suspicious or entered passwords anywhere.
Could this be related to the TALKTALK data breach last year?

How do I go about gaining control of my email?
I am switching to BT fiber on 13th March btw

Thanks

If you have changed your password and you can get into the TT web portal and you see no emails, then its a TT issue and should not really be related to your account being "hacked".

Most of the times when people think the likes of Uber / Ebay are hacked its normally because of something else being hacked and they have used the same password on other sites. I recently saw something like 50m gmail account details and been dumped from Gmail. Its the server thats hacked, thereby giving elevated privileges to the hacker who can then access the user database etc.
Unsure about the TT breach, not sure if I bothered to look but even if the user/passwords were encrypted it doesnt really protect you much if you use a common password.

I have sympathy for you, I had my eBay account hacked which was dealt with extremely quickly by them.

No idea how this happened.

If you managed to go online and change your email password and update your email client then you should be ok unless TT are intercepting them.

Mind you my technical knowledge is pretty poor took me 3 hours yesterday to set up the new CCTV DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply chaps, much appreciated.

I hope it's a TT issue with emails, as i have been able to change my email password. I did think it may be down to them as I would have expected to receive emails via their portal once the password was changed.

They have 24hrs now to reply.

re ebay they were very quick, and blocked my account. As I am not receiving emails, I was totally unaware until i tried to log in a few days later.
It's somewhat reassuring to see they have their eye on the ball, UNLIKE my credit card issuer who authorised 5 uber requests for payments from Hong Kong before I checked my account and got it blocked.

I'll update later when it's resolved.

Have a great day!!

If you have been "hacked" it is worth considering to what extent you may have been "hacked" but as yet be unaware?

Credit Cards
Amazon Account - Any online shopping accounts!!

It can also be worth thinking about who may have been involved. My recent credit card glitch started 'after' I was was asked to hand over my card in a bar as a security against a tab.

I was contacted the same night by my card company asking if I had just purchased theater tickets? I had not.

Sounds like you have the same password for multiple sites? Always make sure it's different for everything.

Does TT have an email forwarding facility in it's options? I know outlook/hotmail does

Does TT have an email forwarding facility in it's options? I know outlook/hotmail does

Possibly. - It might be hidden away in the settings somewhere and less than obvious.

Until it expired I had Virgin forwarding everything to gmail.

I had an email from Google last year to say that it had detected an attempt to access my gmail account from Romania (complete with map showing the source). I use KeePass to generate and store my passwords, all of which are unique and random - I don't even know what the password is because all I do is click and drag. So I've no idea how they got hold of it. However, I changed it and swtiched on 2FA. No problems since.

I had an email from Google last year to say that it had detected an attempt to access my gmail account from Romania (complete with map showing the source). I use KeePass to generate and store my passwords, all of which are unique and random - I don't even know what the password is because all I do is click and drag. So I've no idea how they got hold of it. However, I changed it and swtiched on 2FA. No problems since.

Lets hope and Pray that KeepPass is secure then eh :)

The best passwords are the ones that only you would ever know, mixed in with non standard characters for good measure and always different for different sites.

Right, problem solved - now getting emails. TT said that there was an attempt to hack into my account so they blocked it.
You'd think they would tell me this when I rang on Monday to check why I wasn't receiving any emails!

My password for ebay was not the same, so not sure how they got it?
Maybe they did a password reset and had the link sent to my email which they hacked and were able to then log into my ebay?

I do not use the same passwords - all my accounts linked with any payments have different passwords, I have just changed them all again!

I am now struggling to remember passwords when i need to log in.....
My brain isn't what it used to be.....

This has been a real pain, i hope this is the end of it!
Thanks for your help

Lets hope and Pray that KeepPass is secure then eh :)

The best passwords are the ones that only you would ever know, mixed in with non standard characters for good measure and always different for different sites.

I've used KeePass for many years and use it for all my passwords . It's Open Source and unlike cloud-based programs, it lives on your computer. After you've opened it, you load your password database with a single master password and either a key file or a Windows user account. It can generate passwords of any length (20 chars by default) using any character, including special ones. By default, all your passwords are displayed as asterisks and you just drag and drop them into where they need to go, so you never need to know what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom