ebay bidding question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
I have my eye on a new bike for my son for Christmas - its unique - and I HAVE to secure it. The trouble is I am in London all weekend when the auction ends. I want to put my top price in as a bid tomorrow night - lets say the bike is at £130 now, if I bid £210 will it immediately jump to £210 or the next increment, say £135 - and so wait the next bidder to "up" it?

I don't want to get into auction sniper etc. I just want to leave a bid which is the highest i would be prepared to pay and thats that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Smillion

it will increment taking your top price as the highest it will increment to. I would expect the increments to be £5 at that level.

If you "have to secure it" then put in a bid that you know will not be beaten.

eBay will increment the auction by fixed amounts so if the current bid is £150 and you bid £500 the current bid will become yours at £155. If someone tries to beat you at £160 eBay will check to see that going up the next increment (to £165) does not exceed your limit and as a result of the £160 bid the current bid will become yours at £165 and the other bidder will instantly get a message saying they've been outbid. This will continue until someone bids more than you. Although the increments may increase as the bid value goes up.

At the end of the auction only you will be able to see the highest amount you were prepared to pay - unless you were outbid.

smillion said:
I have my eye on a new bike for my son for Christmas - its unique - and I HAVE to secure it. The trouble is I am in London all weekend when the auction ends. I want to put my top price in as a bid tomorrow night - lets say the bike is at £130 now, if I bid £210 will it immediately jump to £210 or the next increment, say £135 - and so wait the next bidder to "up" it?

I don't want to get into auction sniper etc. I just want to leave a bid which is the highest i would be prepared to pay and thats that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Smillion
You enter your maximum bid and eBay bids on your behalf an amount just high enough to beat the high bidder's maximum bid. It is explained in the excellent help files on Ebay.
Regards
Karl

edit: whoops sorry, too slow...got side tracked while posting

smillion said:

It will only jump up to £210 if the current highest bidders highest bid is £210 minus the bid increment) or more - You don't know the current high bidder's highest bid, just the amount he needed to beat the previous high bidder.

I can't remember the bid increment - it depends on the current price.

For instance, lets say the increment is always £1 - auction start price is £1
Bidder A bids £10
Auction shows 1 bidder, price £1
Bidder B bids £10
Auction shows 2 bidders, price is £10 - bidder A is winning (he bid first)
Bidder B bids £20
Auction now shows 3 bids, price is £11 - bidder B is winning
Bidder C bids £19
Auction now shows 4 bids, price is £19, bidder B is winning (he bid first & higher)
Bidder C bids £31
Auction now shows 5 bids, price is £21, bidder C is winning
Bidder A bids £32
Auction "jumps" straight up to £32 (because Bidder C hidden bid is £31)

- I think I have the right number of bids and the logic is straight there :)

The trouble with bidding early is it forces the price up , because people naturally will bid again if they get outbid and bid higher then they intended to) - Snipers help to avoid that - I use bidslammer ..

R

[edit, i'm even slower then all of you at posting a reply]

There is one other thing to consider, if you were to enter say a £500 bid to gaurantee winning, someone else may do the same thus making it a very expensive 'must have' bike.....

oooh, do I detect a smidgeon of hostility here...
Not surprising really, that was the type of most basic information, you should really be able to find for yourself...
This type of thing is normally frowned upon on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom