Ebay. Caveat Emptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Just as a warning. I recently won an auction for what was advertised as a Brand New Nokia 3200. The advert, when printed, came to 3 full pages of A4 text all of which was the technical specification of a Nokia 3200.

I didnt realise until after I'd paid that hidden in the vast amount of text was the sentence. " These specifications are for a real Nokia 3200 you, however, are buying a Dummy phone". I contacted the seller who told me where I could go in no uncertain terms and that he would never refund the money and more fool me and all the others who dont read every word.

I pointed out misrepresentation of goods is illegal but to no avail.

I then started the full complaints process against this guy who has since been chucked off of ebay and Paypal have found against him and refunded my money.

This has taken several weeks of hassle to sort out, ebay gave him my phone number, paypal gave him my address. He gave me a very hard time.

I wouldnt wish this aggro on anyone. Be careful out there guys!

glad you got the money back - do you have a link to the advert? it should make for interesting reading :)

Andy

Did he contact you by phone or at your address? At least you did get your money back.

andy_k said:
glad you got the money back - do you have a link to the advert? it should make for interesting reading :)

Andy

The ad and the user have been wiped but basically the heading was BRAND NEW NOKIA 3200
The text was everything about the phone from the nokia site with one alteration (!)

In law they use that term "reasonable". A reasonable person would not spot the alteration done in the same font colour etc.

At least ebay agreed.

RichardM said:
Did he contact you by phone or at your address? At least you did get your money back.

Very forcefully by phone but we actually feared a visit. It's not been nice at all and I've learnt a lot of lessons about, ebay, paypal, strangers and ones security!

...on the other hand...
I just bought an E300 diesel on Ebay and it is a joy all round. Full spec as described, car immaculate, very pleasant people involved and no nasty suprises. The modern translation of Caveat emptor is "if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is"...!
(my first posting on this site, as the owner of all sorts of german auto engineering over the last 25 years...)

W4E300 said:
...on the other hand...
(my first posting on this site, as the owner of all sorts of german auto engineering over the last 25 years...)

Welcome to the Forum. :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom