ebay code reader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gnasha

I have seen this on ebay is it a Carsoft manufacturer?

Item number: 270814987570

has anybody used this on OBD 38 pin connections? live data? transmission codes available?

Gnasha3

Hi Gnasha,

Did you end up buying this and giving it a try?

I've just started looking at the best way to access data from a 38 pin connection - I've got a year 2000 CLK.

I'm not over confident that the products I've seen on ebay will give comprehensive information...

Hi Gnasha,

Did you end up buying this and giving it a try?

I've just started looking at the best way to access data from a 38 pin connection - I've got a year 2000 CLK.

I'm not over confident that the products I've seen on ebay will give comprehensive information...

Are you actually after the best cost versus quality compromise that suits your budget or are you really after the best solution (in absolute terms)? The answer would be quite different for the two cases.

I'm guessing that the absolute best solution may be more than I want to spend, but...

To set the scene: I'm a DIYer who's done a fair bit of work on lots of cars (usually "old-school") with minimal, or no, OBD - so I don't have a lot of experience in this area.

My car very occasionally goes into "limp mode" for no discernible reason, and I'd like to see what error codes are stored. It seems to me that I can get at these codes fairly quickly and cheaply by buying a 38pin/16pin converter lead and a code reader from ebay. My reservations with this are that it doesn't seem guaranteed to work, and may be limited in terms of only retrieving a portion of the data available (e.g. I don't know if transmission data is accessible). I don't want to be hampered by knowing the error code, but not having additional information for further diagnosis, if that makes sense.

I don't mind spending more on a solution that

- Will definitely work with my car
- Will give access to as much data as possible
- Will work with any other car I might have in future

But of course would prefer not to spend many hundreds of pounds - probably not be worth it for the limited use it'd get.

Also don't mind whether it's a hand-held reader or laptop/software based...

I don't mind spending more on a solution that

- Will definitely work with my car
- Will give access to as much data as possible
- Will work with any other car I might have in future

But of course would prefer not to spend many hundreds of pounds - probably not be worth it for the limited use it'd get.
I was wondering if a Star diagnosis tool would be within your budget but even a clone does not seem to fit in.

I'm afraid that there is no tool that fulfils your list of requirements at any cost. The point is that there is no tool that reads all the data that is accessible with Star but then again, Star does not read any data from other than MB vehicles (MB industrial motors etc.).

Perhaps there is an OBD-II code reader as a good compromise, members familiar with those should try to help you.

I have the Car Soft program and it works a treat for me. Does a lot of things, not as much as the STAR but more than adequate enough to do the jobs.

Keith

Just to add to what I said above. If you have a 38 pin like I have then if you buy the Car Soft program you will also need to buy a Car Sift Mercedes multiplexer to go with it.

I bought mine from EBay.

Not sure what the latest ones are though.

That will do it but you should be able to pick it all up for a lot less than what they are asking.

Better off buying the correct multiplexer, software & cables seperately. You should be able to pick up the multiplexer for £60 - £80. Cable about £10.00 or less and the software for peanuts.

Keith

Keith,
Will send you PM for details

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom