ebay feedback system stinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
i recently sold 5 faulty hard drives on ebay,put in the advert "faulty dont work no refunds or returns"the guy received the hdd's then mails me to say they are faulty and wants a refund.i say jump in the river and you should have read the advert.
he has left negative feedback aginst my rating .
new ebay rules a seller cant leave negative feedback against a buyer.
ive contacted ebay and they say they cant help its the rules.
it STINKS

I've been very fortunate with Ebay so far. But am hearing more and more stories like this.

Your situation is really unfair and Ebay need to change the rules on this.

You're right - it stinks!

I'm confused.

I wouldnt even contemplate selling a faulty hard disk. Why would someone even buy such a thing unless they misunderstood the advert?

I appreciate a negative rating is upsetting but I still can't get my head around selling something so completely useless to anyone.

I'm confused.

I wouldnt even contemplate selling a faulty hard disk. Why would someone even buy such a thing unless they misunderstood the advert?

I appreciate a negative rating is upsetting but I still can't get my head around selling something so completely useless to anyone.

People may want to buy them to use them in art, or for the control board for to resurrect a dead drive of the same model. I used to stick the dead carcasses of laptops I'd already stripped for parts on there. People bought them.

People will and do buy anything on e-bay

People however do NOT read the adds fully.

I agree the system seems wrong, but as mentioned what use are faulty harddrives? New ones I buy at work come with a 5 yr warranty which will see the machine scrapped anyway?

odd thing to sell, even odder to buy.

Still think the feedback situation wrong.

People may want to buy them to use them in art, or for the control board for to resurrect a dead drive of the same model. I used to stick the dead carcasses of laptops I'd already stripped for parts on there. People bought them.

Oh ok, I guess I see so many dead drives that I have no appreciation for them.

I also have no idea about art :D

To be honest mate don't even know why Ebay did this as now the Buyer's seem to blackmail you more simply because they know nothing will happen to there Feedback and A lot of Buyers just bid and don't buy which is on the increase now yet again same issue they know they won't have any damage on there feedback !!! Very bad idea

as usual we are loosing the origional thread,ive 100 faulty hdd's i bought for £1 each,ive been selling then on ebay and getting £5 each,one buyer bought 25.ive no idea why they want them,i dont really care as long as they pay for them.
the thread was about the new ebay feedback policy not about the items being sold so can any replys be on this point only.
THANKYOU

i recently sold 5 faulty hard drives on ebay,put in the advert "faulty dont work no refunds or returns"the guy received the hdd's then mails me to say they are faulty and wants a refund.i say jump in the river and you should have read the advert.
it STINKS

You do have a right to have the negative feedback removed. If what was written is untrue, it is DEFAMATORY and they have an obligation (under their own rules) to remove it. Tell them this and they should remove it.

Over and above this, the seller situation with ebay does stink and need changing.

as an eBay buyer, I really like this new feedback system

No longer can buyers who pay promptly for stuff be held to ransom by crap sellers who threaten negative feedback in retaliation.

We've currently got a dispute going on with a seller who had 100% positive feedback. They have given us terrible service, accused us of all sorts of things and threatened to leave us negative feedback if we leave it for them!!! When I pointed out the new rules I got 4 or 5 threatening emails :)

Safe to say, their 100% feedback will be gone after this
:)

As both a buyer and seller I quite like the new feedback system... It does push me to highlight any problems the items I sell have though, just to make sure the bidders understand! In addition, it takes a bit of the edge off havin 100% feedback off. More and more people will have the odd negative, which will make buyers more understanding to the odd negative (as a pose to a majority of negatives). This will allow 'bad' sellers to be revealed by piles of negatives, while real sellers will have the odd one or two.

As for dead HD's there's tons you can do with them. I have a HD clock hanging in my room, I've seen speakers made out with them, people buy them to transfer the platters to another casing and attempt to recover data, and quite a few more things. Needless to say, a dead HD isn't always useless :)

Michele

Last edited:
As both a buyer and seller I quite like the new feedback system... It does push me to highlight any problems the items I sell have though, just to make sure the bidders understand! In addition, it takes a bit of the edge off havin 100% feedback off. More and more people will have the odd negative, which will make buyers more understanding to the odd negative (as a pose to a majority of negatives). This will allow 'bad' sellers to be revealed by piles of negatives, while real sellers will have the odd one or two.

Nobody will end up with piles of negs, as with the new rules neutrals count as negs and if you get a couple you're banned.

it STINKS

"no refunds or returns" is a pointless thing to put as you have to allow refunds and returns under the distance selling laws.

If I were you I'd change the wording of your auctions to mention returns.

if i advertise an item as faulty no returns and an idiot buys it then says he wants a full refund because its faulty,why should i be out of pocket with postage when he takes the p*ss.
there fees keep going up but their service going down

if i advertise an item as faulty no returns and an idiot buys it then says he wants a full refund because its faulty,why should i be out of pocket with postage when he takes the p*ss.
there fees keep going up but their service going down

It's the law I'm afraid.

As a trader you have to take returns, nothing to do with ebay.

"no refunds or returns" is a pointless thing to put as you have to allow refunds and returns under the distance selling laws.

If I were you I'd change the wording of your auctions to mention returns.

This only applies to businesses, in law and on eBay, not individual private sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom