Ebay full of NUTTERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trouble is that most stupid people don’t know they are stupid

Exactly (& I'm smart enough to get the dig), I have a good education, degree, IQ test records, psychrometric testing throughout my career, and a successful career behind me to "know" that I'm not stupid.

We live in a world where we call a guy that fixes our boiler an engineer (no disrespect, but you Mr. boiler fixer are not an engineer). Engineers used to be people that had a 4 year degree from university and a professional registration.

Talk about dumbing down the nation and making everybody feel equal......

Luckily I’ve only dealt with a couple of thick people on eBay over the years.
I certainly wouldn’t bid on something that was collection only knowing I wouldn’t be able to collect but I’d certainly message the seller and propose to pay the delivery and wrapping cost just in case. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won’t.
If they do and it’s something I want and it’s cheap enough then great, if not, there’s always another one looming.
It’s only common courtesy to ask first rather than take the Mick.
It does make me chuckle at what people will buy though.
I recently sold 2 Bowers and Wilkins tweeters that were both damaged.
£40 plus delivery!! They were sat in a drawer at home doing nothing and the buyer was well chuffed. Couldn’t believe my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “Engineer” badge reminds me of the “AMG” badge. A small minority get really excited about misuse, but the majority really couldn’t care less.

The “Engineer” badge reminds me of the “AMG” badge. A small minority get really excited about misuse, but the majority really couldn’t care less.

Well we don't call legal clerks, solicitors or Nurses, Doctors. Nurses might not have been the best example as some say it's a profession these days but they are still not Doctors. Engineer is a profession just like Solicitors and Doctors. Unless you are in the US where I think they drive trains.

Nothing new, engineer a train driver. Laundry = clothe refresher, American civil war.

What's the difference between a Royal Mail POD and a piece of paper signed by the buyer saying he or she collected the goods from your home? Do Ebay not accept the latter as proof?
My son sold an item via Ebay and the buyer paid with paypal. The item was delivered and signed for by the buyer but they made a claim to paypal stating item not received. PayPal gave them their money back without making any contact with my son. When he noticed the refund on his account and complained to paypal they were very unhelpful and refused to reverse the refund despite him having proof of delivery.

My son sold an item via Ebay and the buyer paid with paypal. The item was delivered and signed for by the buyer but they made a claim to paypal stating item not received. PayPal gave them their money back without making any contact with my son. When he noticed the refund on his account and complained to paypal they were very unhelpful and refused to reverse the refund despite him having proof of delivery.

Along the same lines... the last time I sold a used hard disk through eBay which I eluded to earlier, the buyer bought it and paid for it promptly.

In the advert I always specified 2 business days and 2 days delivery but usually I dispatched the next working day which I did in this case.

The item didn't arrive day 2 so the buyer raised a "no show" case with eBay saying it had not turned up.

Of course it turned up day 3 but the buyer didn't cancel their item "no show" case so I contacted them.

Why did eBay allow a "no show" case to be raised when the time specified in the advert for handling and delivery had not yet elapsed?

The buyer messaged back to say they had now received the item and thanks.

So I asked them to cancel the "no show" case but they then ignored me.

They then wrote positive feedback stating something like "Thanks for the drive ;o)".

So I contacted eBay and pointed them to the message and feedback from the buyer stating he'd received the item in multiple ways.

They sided with the buyer saying that because I had no tracking information, tough.

So because I'd tried to keep the prices of delivery as low as possible (i.e. 2nd class with no recorded delivery), the buyer and eBay shafted me.

It was only £15 or so I got for it so I messaged the buyer back stating something like "Happy Christmas and enjoy the cheap used second hand hard drive, your need is clearly greater than mine!".

That's the last time I bothered because I can do without the grief frankly!

Would that mainly be the people who have AMG badged a non AMG ......;):)?
Maybe some, but I think they would be in the minority. I would imagine that it will be mainly be people who don’t even own a Mercedes. I doubt if many AMG owners care too much either.

Does that really matter?
It does - people have worked hare
Maybe some, but I think they would be in the minority. I would imagine that it will be mainly be people who don’t even own a Mercedes. I doubt if many AMG owners care too much either.

People who don't own a MB are the target audience of the AMG fakers because they don't know the difference only, that "AMG" is better. Same as people who wear knock-off designer clothing, watches etc - people who own the genuine stuff can spot the knock offs and people who have never owned a genuine article of designer gear don't know the difference. :)

Do you mean a Doctor has worked hard to be a Doctor and and Engineer has worked hard to be an Engineer?

I didn't meant to post that bit. However, to answer your question, that is not what I meant and the statement is clearly incomplete.:)

It is all about the dumbing down of the nation. Lowering standard and giving titles to people that they have not earned. Next thing my boiler "engineer" will be demanding to get paid the same money as a person with a university degree "because I am an engineer". Unfortunately we are not all equal no matter how much the bleeding hearts want it to be so.

I didn't meant to post that bit. However, to answer your question, that is not what I meant and the statement is clearly incomplete.:)

It is all about the dumbing down of the nation. Lowering standard and giving titles to people that they have not earned. Next thing my boiler "engineer" will be demanding to get paid the same money as a person with a university degree "because I am an engineer". Unfortunately we are not all equal no matter how much the bleeding hearts want it to be so.
I’m not convinced myself, but vive la difference. That said I suspect many “boiler engineers” already earn a similar amount to Engineers with an engineering degree.

The same as a nurse?

The same as a nurse?

I'm married to a RN/Midwife (she has not worked for years) but based on my experience of what she had to put into the care of her patients, they are grossly underpaid.

However, I've never heard nurses referring to themselves as doctors. Also these days, there are a lot of RNs that have university degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an engineer by profession not trade and couldn't agree with you more Rory. I worked hard for my degree and have 10 years in the automotive industry now.

I also agree with Bobby, but only on the point that the "boiler engineer" is paid more. I know a lot of none professional work now that pays considerably more than what I earn and it just goes to show how dumbed down the engineer term really is, so much so that I've considered a career change several times - so YES it does have an affect, certainly won't be as many 'real' engineers in the future in this country.

Just to add, I'm not one of these project engineers either, who just seem to babysit a vehicle part and have very little knowledge on the development that's actually needed for a product - all they do is track a sign off sheet (DVP)… Another pet peev of mine.

In the civil engineering profession, in order to officially call yourself an Engineer, nowadays you would need good A levels, followed by a 3 year degree in the subject (not an easy degree, to say the least), followed by a further M.Sc year. If you got through that lot, you would need several years experience, followed by a professional exam and interview at the Institute of Civil Engineers. If you passed, you could then call yourself a Chartered Civil Engineer. I agree that the word "engineer" has been dumbed down, and is now used for many trades who, without doubt, did not have to reach this level of achievement.

As for the salary once chartered, about half that of a London cabbie!.

But then again, like nurses, Mr Telford, Mr Bazalgette and Mr. Brunel didn't do it just for the money!

I'm married to a RN/Midwife (she has not worked for years) but based on my experience of what she had to put into the care of her patients, they are grossly underpaid.

However, I've never heard nurses referring to themselves as doctors. Also these days, there are a lot of RNs that have university degrees.

That was my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom