Ebay full of NUTTERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my lifetime the global population has increased by 3.5 times, does that mean there are 3.5 times as many stupid people?

Much as I like a good row about the status of engineers....
On the subject of Ebay... I've found that NO potential buyers read past the second line of the description, so they constantly bombard you with questions that are answered in the text.
Perversely, if you shorten the description to keep it tight, you get less bids.

Maybe I should just populate the listing with a couple of hundred random letters/numbers, just to give it a bit of gravitas?

Ebayers really are a strange bunch.

And the fact that I have to supplement my income with Ebay-selling (~10,000 sales to date) should make it obvious that I am an Engineer too (a proper one).

I'm an engineer by profession not trade and couldn't agree with you more Rory. I worked hard for my degree and have 10 years in the automotive industry now.

I also agree with Bobby, but only on the point that the "boiler engineer" is paid more. I know a lot of none professional work now that pays considerably more than what I earn and it just goes to show how dumbed down the engineer term really is, so much so that I've considered a career change several times - so YES it does have an affect, certainly won't be as many 'real' engineers in the future in this country.

Just to add, I'm not one of these project engineers either, who just seem to babysit a vehicle part and have very little knowledge on the development that's actually needed for a product - all they do is track a sign off sheet (DVP)… Another pet peev of mine.

My oldest friend is a plumber (we've been mates since we were 5) - in the early years he always earned more than I did. He drove a MB (a very nice (used) 1965 - 280SE) I drove a 1965 Mini. However as I went up through the management ranks my salary rose with every promotion & his did not.

You said:

Next thing my boiler "engineer" will be demanding to get paid the same money as a person with a university degree

To which I responded:

The same as a nurse?

My point was that nurses now need a degree but will earn a lot less than a boiler engineer.

They always earned a cr@p wage which is why my wife stopped. In SA they would combine married couple's incomes and tax us as a single entity. After adding her wage to mine and pushing us up a tax bracket or 2 her effective income was not worth the hours, poor conditions and abuse she had to put up with.

We need a new thread to discuss these issues. - apologies to the OP:p;)

My oldest friend is a plumber (we've been mates since we were 5) - in the early years he always earned more than I did. He drove a MB (a very nice (used) 1965 - 280SE) I drove a 1965 Mini. However as I went up through the management ranks my salary rose with every promotion & his did not.

That's it, the only way for me to further progress now is within management, away from engineering. Which I don't want to do yet.

What if you're an engineer AND a cab driver?? :cool:

Typical forum. Starts off about ebay and ends up about what engineers should or should not be called.

Typical forum. Starts off about ebay and ends up about what engineers should or should not be called.
That’s what would happen if we were chatting over a beer, a venti skinny wet decaf latte, or a diner kebab, so why not on a forum too. :)

There have been some well-known Engineers from India. One was a Test cricketer... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom