Ebay Germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pentoman

If I see an interesting interior part for my 190E on ebay Germany, are there any fees to pay to bring the part into the country? Apart from what the seller charges for international delivery.

Would you recommend my doing this? My German is GCSE level, and that was years ago.. so I'm a bit screwed if it doesn't go through smoothly, but on the other hand it's a rare steering wheel you don't find on ebay UK.

Russ

Shouldn't be a problem if it is a private seller, if it is a company, ask them to mark it as a gift that way theres no import duty payable from her majestys finest .....

Try www.freetranslation.co.uk they offer a free translation service ( surprise surprise ;) ) , its a bit rudimentary but you can get the general idea of whats going on, i have used it in the past with success with dealings with german ebay .

Good luck

One other thing Ive noticed, most german sellers are not paypal registerd but you can still pay with paypal if you have the sellers email address
Don't be tempted to use one of these money sending companies, it's risky and they charge commision.

another Russ

No need to mark anything as a 'gift' within the EU - that's the whole point of having the EU to start with - free trade between member countries! Most Germans can either speak/write some English, or they have a friend who can - email them and see if you get a prompt and sensible reply before you commit to buy. I've bought several things from Germany in this manner and never had a problem.

should be ok, but be aware that if they dont take paypal then your only real payment choices are:

international bank transfer (most banks charge around £15 to do this) + whatever u want to send

cash (risky sending cash in the post but i have risked this and been ok in the past)

international money order (cheaper than bank transfer but still costs extra to do)

I use Ebay Germany a lot but they are just over the border from here. You can use Paypal or do a transfer (uberweissung), which is the normal way in Germany. There are no charges if you use an Iban bank code. The IBAN is another benefit of the EU and use of it is subject to an agreement that the bank will make no additional charges. The IBAN combines Country, bank code and account code info in one ID.
The only problem you might have is that your UK bank may want to charge you for the pound to Euro exchange.

BonzoDog said:
I use Ebay Germany a lot but they are just over the border from here. You can use Paypal or do a transfer (uberweissung), which is the normal way in Germany. There are no charges if you use an Iban bank code. The IBAN is another benefit of the EU and use of it is subject to an agreement that the bank will make no additional charges. The IBAN combines Country, bank code and account code info in one ID.
The only problem you might have is that your UK bank may want to charge you for the pound to Euro exchange.

i used IBAN and Barclays bank charged me abour £15 for it. Halifax said they would also charge a similar price to do it. they said that is the only option or a international money order, again at a cost

Iban

SilverSaloon said:
i used IBAN and Barclays bank charged me abour £15 for it. Halifax said they would also charge a similar price to do it. they said that is the only option or a international money order, again at a cost
It cannot be - a bank mischarging its customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom