Ebay paying for car sale into my account.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
I've advertised a Civic on eBay, they requested my bank account details so as to pay me directly.
This is a new one on me, previously it would have been Paypal, and I always rejected such payments as aside from not trusting Paypal I wouldn't accept paying a % on something of £,000's

So do eBay pay the whole or deduct a bit?
Would I be at risk should a buyer 'change their mind' within some allowable eBay period?

If eBay do pay all and the buyer has committed I can see advantage. if eBay are taking payment and I don't have the risk of a failed payment / funny money.

Paypal take a percentage as a transaction fee, I think it's currently 2.9%. The buyer can pay this up front by choosing to send the payment as a 'gift'. Don't forget E-bay may also charge you a percentage as a sellers fee, not sure what they do now but they used to send you an invoice for it.

First off ebay have to "verify" your bank account by sending 2 small amounts into the account (in my case it was 1 and 9 pence!), once you've seen them in your account you have to verify the account by going to Account Verification and entering the 2 amounts they sent. Then you can list something for sale. I've only recently done this myself, set up a seperate bank account as no way would I give Ebay DD access to my main account! It took them about 2-3 days to make the 2 micro transfers!

The money goes to Ebay, they immediately deduct the listing and seller fees plus VAT, then they hold the balance for 14 days in case there are problems with the sale - and if there's a dispute, as they have the money, they can side with the buyer and there's nothing you can do about it!!

14 days later they transfer the balance electronically to your account (and email you to say they've done it). However, they still have DD access to your account - which is why I opened a new account and will only ever leave £50 in it (no overdraft facility). For selling a car no way would I give them access to a main/important bank account - and if that amount came into my "Ebay bank account" I'd immediately transfer it out!

Ebay and Paypal have parted ways about 3-4 months ago. Ebay now pay directly to your bank account.

List as classified advert

Ask buyer to do BACS payment after viewing car

Easy

Ebay and Paypal have parted ways about 3-4 months ago. Ebay now pay directly to your bank account.

6 years ago it seems, shows how long it's been since I used it, and I'll never be using it again as a seller if I have to give them my bank details.

and I'll never be using it again as a seller if I have to give them my bank details.
That was also my initial reaction, I only had 1 bank account and no way was I giving Ebay DD access to that. As we don't do social media, Facebook Marketplace was not an option, and I could not find an alternative I was happy with. Took a while, but I persuaded my bank to give me a second sterling account purely for Ebay use, only got everything up and running about 3 weeks ago, so far it's OK. I'll only ever keep £50 in that account, no overdraft facility, so that's the most Ebay could steal from it!

The process asked for my account details, but was easily side stepped. I didn't have to give so I didn't.
From the ebay community it seems ebay don't take payment for cars anyway??

It's in as a classified, I gave up on the button pressing wannabees many years ago.
I paid £19.99 and that's it apparently.
If an offer looks appetising i wait till bought and paid for before cancelling the 28 day ad.

I had a look at Auto Trader but at over £30 for 2 weeks it cost extra. But what really annoyed was that I couldn't structure the text, it was one long description w/o line spacing.

It was on Gumtree for a while w/o a sniff, so it will be interesting to see if ebay gets a pull on the line, as a comparison.

I only ever pay the insertion fee through a separate account, usally takes around 3 day's always put on the add as cash on collection also if you put available elsewhere you can cancel the order after sale and pay no more fee's 🙂

...if you put available elsewhere you can cancel the order after sale and pay no more fee's 🙂
That's just thieving. If you provided a service & the person who benefitted from that service rooked you out of the money you were due would you think that's OK?

You've already paid for the service with the insertion fee

Classified advert. £19.99 fee and no other charges. Much better then AutoTrader etc…

6 years ago it seems, shows how long it's been since I used it, and I'll never be using it again as a seller if I have to give them my bank details.
Sold my spare alloys , one in Feb this year an one in June, IIRC, paid via Paypal in Feb and bank transfer in June.
As far as bank account details are concerned, old hat now I know, but all the details they want were clearly printed on any cheques you wrote, so why the hesitancy now.

That was also my initial reaction, I only had 1 bank account and no way was I giving Ebay DD access to that. As we don't do social media, Facebook Marketplace was not an option, and I could not find an alternative I was happy with. Took a while, but I persuaded my bank to give me a second sterling account purely for Ebay use, only got everything up and running about 3 weeks ago, so far it's OK. I'll only ever keep £50 in that account, no overdraft facility, so that's the most Ebay could steal from it!
I’m really not convinced that EBAY are thieves in that sense.

The money goes to Ebay, they immediately deduct the listing and seller fees plus VAT, then they hold the balance for 14 days in case there are problems with the sale - and if there's a dispute, as they have the money, they will side with the buyer and there's nothing you can do about it!!

FTFY.

The money goes to Ebay, they immediately deduct the listing and seller fees plus VAT, then they hold the balance for 14 days in case there are problems with the sale - and if there's a dispute, as they have the money, they can side with the buyer and there's nothing you can do about it!!
I've bought and sold on ebay for a good few years now , with no problems whatsoever , until a few ago. I'd sold a set of Thule roofrack feet to a chap in Scotland and sent them via Hermes. Hermes tried to deliver them on two occasions but there was no-one home, they then disappear off the Hermes system. Ebay's rule is that until the buyer actually takes delivery then it's still the seller's responsibility so I end up having to reimburse the buyer because he hasn't been at home when Hermes tried to deliver, which I think is grossly unfair.

I’m really not convinced that EBAY are thieves in that sense.
As my main account for various reasons has always has a similar balance with a couple of extra zeros to the left of the decimal point, there's no way on Gods green I would ever give Ebay, Paypal or whoever DD access to that! A friend had his Ebay/Paypal account hacked, £3k disappeared from his bank account and it took his daughter 6 months to recover it!

Sold my spare alloys , one in Feb this year an one in June, IIRC, paid via Paypal in Feb and bank transfer in June.
As far as bank account details are concerned, old hat now I know, but all the details they want were clearly printed on any cheques you wrote, so why the hesitancy now.

Yes but I didn't give the people I gave cheques to authority to take money from my account whenever they liked.

I never sold a lot of stuff on Ebay anyway, and haven't sold anything on it for years, so it's no great loss to me.

I've bought and sold on ebay for a good few years now , with no problems whatsoever , until a few ago. I'd sold a set of Thule roofrack feet to a chap in Scotland and sent them via Hermes. Hermes tried to deliver them on two occasions but there was no-one home, they then disappear off the Hermes system. Ebay's rule is that until the buyer actually takes delivery then it's still the seller's responsibility so I end up having to reimburse the buyer because he hasn't been at home when Hermes tried to deliver, which I think is grossly unfair.
This aspect of who is responsible for none delivery has become something of a nightmare.

I recently bought two items from a business seller which Hermes lost, after trying (allegedly) to deliver. I asked eBay to refund, the seller refused until Hermes reimbursed him. ( I had paid for insurance but Hermes refuse to deal with a buyer). eBay advised that "an attempted delivery counts as a delivery" which is clearly incorrect. They maintained this by email, and then did not respond further. I finally wrote to eBay pointing out that consumer legislation makes a business seller responsible for goods until in the customer's actual possession.( very onerous for a seller and open to all sorts of scams). They finally paid me back but pointed out that being an "online platform" they were unable to enforce consumer legislation. This despite the fact that the various consumer acts are all over their T&C's! To be fair though out of several hundred transactions on eBay only a handful have gone wrong for me and they have been sorted out.

Did you get your items back from Hermes?

I made two mistakes when posting the item, I didn't put a return address on the parcel and paid an extra 60p for a signature on delivery.
Trying to contact Hermes is a nightmare but I sent them an email purporting to be a technical queery and had a response. They then passed the buck to Packlink who, in all fairness, dealt with the loss claim very quickly and settled my claim yesterday for their standard minimum of £25 + cost of postage. The item was sold for £35 but I didn't opt for the extra insurance so lost £10 on the transaction.
I've bought and sold quite a lot on ebay over the years but you have to have your wits about you , there are a lot of lying barstewards on there, especially the ones who sell alloy wheels that are "like new" when they've clearly been refurbished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom