eBay Strikes (perhaps) again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Hi,

I was wondering, is there a way to pre-empt with eBay a non-paying bidder report by a seller?

The reason I ask is that the seller of a Comand system is "reluctant" to ship using EMS Speedmail with tracking.

Clearly I want the reassurance that my money has not slipping into Lithuania without a Comand returning my way so... I am not paying a bean until I get an invoice that states EMS Speedmail as the means of shipment.

This will clearly result in a NPB and I want to get my 2p in first.

Is there a way?

Ta

Lakwa

Unfortunately it is the sort of question you should have asked before winning, what method of shipping does he want to use?

have you noticed all the COMMANDS for sale are from lithuania... :(

I wouldn't trust it to be honest :dk:

Quite a few people on here have bought them from there without a problem. As long as it is trackable and the seller has paypal protection then go for it!

I thought all purchases with PayPal were protected these days, or is that for UK buyers/sellers only?

I too think this should have been agreed before bidding.
If you do not pay, E-Bay will take his side, regardless of any postage disagreement. (assuming his advert did not state, buyer preferred postage method used)

Russ

You are protected more as a buyer than a seller.
Recently had 2 cases, one was buyer who decided he didn't want to pay. Could not do anything apart from raise a dispute, get my seller fees back and then his account gets striked and monitored.
If you are a buyer who receives nothing and you paid with paypal: raise a paypal despute, try to resolve with seller, escalate if not satisfied, then raise with ebay too. As long as you have tried to resolve and left it 14 days then you will get refunded.
I think ebay is still too lean with timewasters, non payers etc, the site is rife with them. They should give them a week tops to deliver or your money back.

unfortunatly, if you had any specific shipping concerns or requirements these should of been put to the seller via email before you bid on the item.

the seller will of stated their choice of shipping in the auction and therefore by bidding you agreed to do it their way.

so, if you dont pay then you'll get a strike (IF the seller starts a dispute that is - maybe they wont if you explain). You can also explain and they may be willing to "mutually" forgo the transaction - but keep it friendly stating you are willing to pay for the extra postage etc. even though the seller will be pi$$ed off with a non paying bidder, all they will really want is their fees refunded, which will be a lot for the item you purchased so they will currently be quite a lot out of pocket just because you bid without checking first, which if you think about it is unfair.

the seller wont be able to leave you bad feedback, in this case and in many others i feel would be justfied.

Sorry but i see this from the other side of the fence - i sell a lot on eBay and if you place a bid or click that buy button then you agree to my terms - or you ask me before bidding. i would probably be willing to ship whatever way someone wanted aslong as they paid for it though...... people who bid/buy and never pay are just causing hassle for the seller.

good luck in sorting it anyway. if you pay via paypal, you'll be covered anyway so not sure what the problem is if the buyer has decent feedback - just because you're nervous doesnt mean he shouldnt be paid for an item won if there isnt any real bad feedback to say he is dodgy apart from his selling location.

its very hard for sellers to "deliver within a week". many have a full time job and ebay is just to get some extra cash and also sellers are not Royal Mail.... the current way ebay deal with buyers vs sellers is too sided towards the buyer anyway (lots of sellers are getting ripped off).

Last edited:
unfortunatly, if you had any specific shipping concerns or requirements these should of been put to the seller via email before you bid on the item.

the seller will of stated their choice of shipping in the auction and therefore by bidding you agreed to do it their way.

Baron_Samedi, I'm afraid that I agree with many of the comments here. Conditions such as payment and shipment method should have been cleared up at the outset - not after you have won the auction.

Remember, PayPal is there to protect you the buyer. It places responsibility upon the seller to obtain proof of postage (and if I recall correctly, urges sellers to use a trackable postage service). In the event of dispute, if the seller can't provide any evidence of dispatch you would get your money back from PayPal.

If the seller doesn't accept PayPal (and didn't display it as an option on the advert) and wants a bank transfer well I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck. Either take a chance or risk negative feedback.

I've read some positive feedback from some of the Lithuanian sellers.

Understood Peeps,

But... EMS Speedmail was an option in the listing.

However the invoice only specifies Normal Lithuanian Airmail and no messages get replied to if I ask to pay the extra specified in the listing.

Thanks for the warmth on the Paypal side Naj, I feel better that the seller needs to demonstrate despatch rather than me prove that I have not received the goods.

Perhaps I am being a bit nervous, but I want to buy the unit, it's just the lack of response that bothers me...

Delivery time I am clearly eager about given the potential postal strike, but I accept that despatching goods can take a day or two.

Last edited:
Understood Peeps,

But... EMS Speedmail was an option in the listing.

However the invoice only specifies Normal Lithuanian Airmail and no messages get replied to if I ask to pay the extra specified in the listing.

Thanks for the warmth on the Paypal side Naj, I feel better that the seller needs to demonstrate despatch rather than me prove that I have not received the goods.

Perhaps I am being a bit nervous, but I want to buy the unit, it's just the lack of response that bothers me...

Does the invoice have an option for addition or discounts (I think only sellers get that), I was thinking you may wish to pay the additional cost for the EMS speed mail - that way you can demonstrate that you paid the full cost of the 'premium' shipping.

Print a copy of the advert and any payment that you make. Good luck...

Cheers Naj,

I shall indeed print the listing :thumb:

The listing and then the "checkout" offer me no opportunity to change payment or upgrade....

Pay with Paypal, make sure you use a credit card for the paypal transaction.

If it all goes awry, don't even bother with a paypal dispute, it's a waste of time, contact your card provider and process a chargeback. Paypal do not defend these (as they don't want to pee off the card providers) and the seller will be debitted immediately no matter how it was shipped or even if you'd signed for it.

Its the main reason, as a business seller, I hate accepting Paypal, it's is rife with fraud and there's not a thing you can do to stop it.

I've twice sold goods, shipped to the verified address with a courier (UPS and FedEx respectively) both signed for, both buyers processed chargebacks, they got their money refunded and got the goods......As a seller I can't even leave bad feedback for this never mind have any financial recourse.

If you pay with paypal you ll be covered. I made a bad purchase from the states on a fake phone which proved to be the case. Ebay withdrew the listing and could not do anything. Returned the item (I beared the cost) to the seller and raised a claim for a refund with paypal. 2 days and they voted in favour, the money was returned down to the last penny.

I bought loads on ebay and as far as you use paypal do not worry about a thing.

Righty,

Thanks again for all the posts on my little dilemma.

Bit of an update, but the Lithuanian Chappy emailed me back late last night to say that he "finally" had updated his invoice to ship by EMS Speedmail tracking, delivery in the UK by Parcelforce.

Feeling a darned sight better I coughed up and now wait :crazy:

Cheers!

I really don't want to get into the dispute thing, but the seller really doesn't help himself.... he is now being slow with the tracking number :doh:

Even though my eBay summary claims he has despatched.

Pleased you're sorted,next time,just ring pay-pal & ask their advice,i find most of em very helpfull.

Pleased you're sorted,next time,just ring pay-pal & ask their advice,i find most of em very helpfull.

you must be dealing with a different company who stole my £250 then :rolleyes:

paypal and ebay are the worst company i've come across online.

that is of course, coming from a sellers perspective. I am sure if you contacted them as a buyer they fully satisfied all your needs and just left the mess to the poor seller who probably ended up suspended.

he isnt obliged to issue a tracking number, but you can start a paypal claim and he will then have to enter it. not sure what you need to ask paypal. the "dispached" envelope you see in your "my ebay" is simply because he has clicked its been dispatched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom