EBC Brake pads for 500SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
The brake pad lamp has come on and comes on when I brake. So knowing I need new pads not sure if it's front and or rear yet or even if discs need replacing until I get it checked at ATS.
I have used EBC pads before on my 350z and found then very good but the benz is old and a different beast.

Has anyone used them on these cars? I'm thinking the Red Stuff pads.
Also wear sensors. Do they need to be replaced and is it straightforward?

Where would I get sensors from?

Thank you in advance.

Used EBC brakes for a while now, Red stuff very good for low dust and spirited road driving, not good for Track.

they normally come with sensors in the box, if not ECP or MB parts department.

hope that helps

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch EBC kit with a bargepole, experienced far too many issues such as pad breakup/delamination. By the time you've moved far enough up the range to get a pad that actually works, more often than not it squeals like a stuck pig.

If the lamp has come on, you'll need to change at least the sensor that tripped. I'd allow for new ones all round, they rarely come out in one piece after they've been there a while.

If you don't want mb pads then I would say textar. They are a good product and ecp sell them.

Genuine MB Pads are the best IMO... Reasonably priced too.

I also done like EBC... My SL60 had redstuff pads, very very noisy at speed. Changed them to MB and now silent.

Pagid are a Euro Car Part in-house own brand, not OE and neither are English Braking Company (EBC).

I'd stick with OE suppliers such as ATE or Textar, or buy genuine OE - Mercedes aren't normally too expensive for brakes. Certainly worth getting a price before shopping around.

Aren't they owner by TMD friction a very large brake pad manufacturer who make pads and discs for Porsche etc? Don't think that they're an ECP own brand but I stand to be corrected.

I did over 30 track hours with Pagids on my Porsche without issue so I see no problem with them.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna take the car and see what I need. May aswell replace them (pads) all round.
Sensors-are they from merc too or would they come with the pads?

It's a heavy car and whatever brakes are on it have disappointed me a few times since I had the car in march. Brake dust on fronts is really heavy too.

Ive used all sorts of pads in the 911 inc some race based ones , only use standard pads now either Pagids or if I can get them, Textar.
Relatively cheap, which is good the rate I go through them on track..

Never used EBC on my benz but did for my Range Rover. Terrible pads......warped my front rotors within 5k miles of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom