EBC Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
ok, looks like i need to do something with my rear brakes according to the stealership, and i'm just trying to work out if now is a good time to swap the lot out for EBC discs+pads

so, anyone got any experience with EBC units on a C-Class Coupe ? (other models and opinions always welcome too)

There seems a couple of options......

3GD Drilled and Slotted Sport Rotors

Ultimax BlackDash USR Slotted Rotors

Greenstuff - 2000 Series - Premium Street Pad

EBC Redstuff Brake Pads

so, anyone got anything they can add ?

I'm using Redstuff pads on my car and they're great! Standard drilled discs though. There's a chap at work who is fanatical about his Elise and I think I'm right in that he told me drilled discs are more liable to cracking, so he just uses the grooved discs now.

ive always used genuine disks, and used greenstuff on my last pad change on the C36, they were very good and amazing how much less dust they produce.

Red stuff should be for more powerfull cars and i hear they are not so good until warmed up, also hear redstuff can be a bit harsh on the disks.

Since most of the cars braking is done by the front, I wouldn't bother with drilled/slotted discs on the back.

Stick to standard with Greenstuff pads.

ok, early replies are indicating what i thought ... Green Stuff pads, reds for heavier more powerful cars, only reason i wasn't sure on that is that this is an auto, and i have found compared to my previous manual, that i am naturally harder on the brakes ... so swasn't sure about the green vs red question.

Drilled has been known to cause cracking, but as i understood it that was an issue with completely cross drilled, rather than just Dimple Drilled - which is one of the reasons why they went for that i think.

I may well be sticking with stock discs right now, will know a little more later on, but i know it needs rear pads very soon, and a fluid change and fronts are about 50% worn ... not sure on the discs yet, but i may just plup to do the lot in one go.

Stock MB discs vs these ??? ... anyone like to try and stick them in a comparison type table ?

I'm leaning towards the Ultimax discs with Green Stuff pads - cost wise i can't see them being any more expensive than the MB one lol

(i've had the dimpled discs before from them on a previous car and was very impressed hence the interest, however i can't compare that to this as it's a different beast all together)

they just quoted me 180 for rear pads fitted, so

1. doubt i will be surprised
2. doubt they would be any less than EBC's
3. the stealership wont be getting the work !!

EBC themselves recommended redstuff for cars 'over 200bhp' to me. Can't see any logical reason for that, as I'd have thought it more to do with the car's weight than hp! FWIW, I've not found the Redstuff ineffective when cold

hmmm, interesting, yes i saw that too, yet as you said, on the US sites and info they lean more towards trucks and SUV's for the red stuff, stating vehicle weight as a reason

On Celica GT4 St205 I had drilled and grooved EBC discs all round along with Yellow stuff ceramic pads. They were awesome! Stopped the car dead once up to temp. First thing in the morning the first press of the pedal was a bit numb but after it was great. On track it was amazing.
I've had red stuff pads on my Honda Prelude Vti clamping on OEM discs and they too were great. Low dust too which is a bonus, but the same as the yellow stuff pads the first press was a bit numb but good after. Maybe because I work shift and had to use the car at 5.30am/6.00am most mornings.
The only thing is with the EBC discs are they are a bit noisy. Other than that I would use them again!

Just changed mine on the W208 EBC from experience are not the best, I replaced with Brembo discs and went for Pagid Pro pads, rebuilt the calipers using AP racing parts, Pistons and seals.

Urban myth about cross drilled discs never had one crack in 30 years of racing and road use as long as you get the right discs also drilled and grooved discs on the rear will be a benefit, made a big difference on mine form the solid vented discs.

There's a great disc supplier in Northampton that does drilled and grooved Febi Bilstein discs, choice of pads is up to you but I would not recommend EBC, green too soft and dont perform red too hard but ok when warm

Just my 2p worth:thumb:

Thanks for the input guys, just got the reports back, all discs ok, front pads at 50% ish but rears at 20% .... and the front discs where changed 20 months ago, so right now i think it'll be pads only on the rear and then look to switch out the whole lot later when there is a little more worn otu.

flanaia1 what pads do yo uuse may i ask ? - it sounds like you've done a little research / testing on this subject.

Has anyone considered mixing with reds on the front and greens on the rear ?

Thanks for the input guys, just got the reports back, all discs ok, front pads at 50% ish but rears at 20% .... and the front discs where changed 20 months ago, so right now i think it'll be pads only on the rear and then look to switch out the whole lot later when there is a little more worn otu.

flanaia1 what pads do yo uuse may i ask ? - it sounds like you've done a little research / testing on this subject.

Has anyone considered mixing with reds on the front and greens on the rear ?

I have Pagid Pro on the W208 but am also running Ferodo DS2000 on our Audi A8 which runs 400+ bhp and I must say the Ferodo are brilliant. I tried the pagid on the recommendation of good reviews on the Lotus and Porsche forum and they are good but I would say the ferodo have the edge, but it could be an unfair comparison as the Audi has 6 pot calipers, but there is no dust at all from the ferodo but more expensive than pagid. I would honestly recommend either both miles better than EBC IMHO :thumb:

Brembo on the W208, Alcon on the Audi :thumb:

Heh - my remapped Volvo ran Brembo discs and DS2000 pads, lasted ages and didn't fade, warp, glaze or crack... unlike the stock ones, which eventually caused my dealer to have a quiet word along the lines of "we're not convinced that we should replace these under warranty again mr kemp"...

My Rover 400 had an AP racing upgrade. My spacewagon had grooved disks and greenstuff (don't ask...)

None of my MBs have ever felt like they needed brake upgrades for road use.

I had a full set of Red stuff on a VW Golf GT Tdi I used to own.
They DO NOT require a warm up from cold and when used in anger they were astonishingly good.
My worry was that someone would hit you up the back end.
EBC rtecommended Green stuff for the Golf but I went out on a limb and fitted the red stuff (What'll do a lot will do a little)..
They were actually more expensive than the original VW pads.
I will be fitting EBC's to my B class before long because the dust off the front is really getting on my T*ts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom