EBC Red stuff brakes - check regularly

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Alps, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Alps

Alps MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    have had EBC brakes on my cars for years now, current set on the E55 for hte last 3 years, been through 2 track days and still only a third worn after 25K miles.

about a month ago i started hearing a click everytime i braked, probably happening for a while but i only noticed due to the windows being open.

I was also hearing a rattle which i thought was the undertray screws being loose.

anyway, took it into MB for its B service... nothing, all clear, last week i took it to my MOT guy and first thing he pointed out was brake pad material sitting at the bottom of my caliper. basically the pad had come off its backing and that was the clicking sound.

Lucky for me i have 4 pads per caliper in the front so the brakes still worked!

anyway, apparently mb dont take wheels off for A & B services anymore and the brake inspection is visual... uhmmm...

also a email to EBC and they sent me a replacement set of pads straight away.

spent most of the day resizing the ~EBC redstuff pads to fit properly in the caliper (this is normal with these pads). The old pads where fried.

FYI:- EBC Reds are not good with heat, they are just good for low dust, yellows are the heat resistant pads but high dust.

2 people like this.
  2. acej

acej MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350, AMG GT S
    My pads aren't fairing to well with track use. Has anyone used yellow stuff or Rado performance pads. I have heard some horror stories About the yellows and their durability?

3. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    I use deriding ds2000 or Pagid pro for track use although there are now a lot of good reports about the new Sparco pads EBC never worked for me I've destroyed them all green yellow and red, currently running Pagid pro and the cars done 10 Laps if the ring with them on plus normal road use and I reckon they about a quarter worn

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

4. acej

acej MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350, AMG GT S
    Thanks

My research brought back similar results for the ebc. How are the pagid on the road do they need warming up?

5. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    No they bite from cold but people tell me the pro ones are now difficult to source in the UK they didn't use to be but I've not tried recently but I do know a Motorsport company in holland that stocks them if you do decide to go that route and can't find them

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

1 person likes this.
  6. After Shock

After Shock Active Member

Car:
    E320 CDI 320 Estate. AMG wheels
    Can anyone explain how MB (most dealerships) can do a proper service and inspection WITHOUT removing the wheels???

7. AMGeed

AMGeed Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 E63 Biturbo
    It's pretty easy to see whether there is plenty of pad thickness left and check the discs for wear without removing the wheels. That said, a major service should include wheels being removed for a thorough inspection IMO.

Would another 45mins labour at £100+ per hour be acceptable to do this though? The dealerships aren't going to do it for free.

The guy I take my Focus to for servicing removes the wheels every service, but that's just his way.

8. mattc43

mattc43 Active Member

Car:
    Probably best i don't say, but love the forum so lurking about!
    Not entirely sure how they comment on the inner pad thickness without removing the wheel?!?

9. sallison1504

sallison1504 Active Member

FYI

This is called pad slap. Usually occurs due to ill fitted pads coming loose or as you described, excessive use.

10. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    My red stuff on the 43 crumbled. Awful fitment too.

11. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    The heat has to go somewhere and it looks like whatever holds the friction material to the metal plate is taking the brunt...

1 person likes this.
  12. Doodle

Doodle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Nice to see a decade on EBC pads are still delaminating. There are far better options out there.

13. OP
    OP
    Alps

Alps MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    done 600 miles so far and all good, no squeel this time, last time they squeeled for the first 1000 miles.

i personally think the track days must have caused the issues due to heat! the pads were not cracked or brittle, just the one pad come off the backing.

1 person likes this.
  14. def90cars

def90cars MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 AMG C63S, W204 C63 AMG PPP, Abarth 595 Competizione, Fiat 500 Twinair, Toyota Carina E GTi
    At the MOT they don't remove the wheels and in fact aren't allowed to remove wheel trims, and the only mandatory safety check you HAVE to do.