EBC RedStuff pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
I am going to be fitting some EBC RedStuff pads on my E55. I am aware that they need filing to fit properly. Does anyone know where they need filing?

They shouldn't need filing at all. Just make sure that the calliper's cleaned up thoroughly before you put them in and they'll be fine.

I've never heard of pads needing to be filed. They should be a tight fit, as any movement gives you knocking when you first touch the brakes, or brake in reverse.

I assume the fitment is no different to yellowstuff, which didn't need filing to go in the GTiR. - I don't know if they come with a break-in coating, but that took a few miles to clear with mine.

Thanks guys. I guess I will found out when I get them fitted.

If replacing the pads only, do the front calipers need to come off? Or can the pads be lifted out once the pins are removed?

Callipers stay in place. Pins out, pads out, pads in, pins in.

Are you doing this yourself by the way?

Just to clarify - OP has an E55, they're different pads/calipers to what all you guys have - in theory all pads should fit properly out of the box..

However, in the real world this isn't always the case. The (aluminium) Brembo 8-pot calipers have four brake pads each at the front. The inner face pads tend to get stuck anyway (even OE) as the stainless guide plates move out away from the calipers due to the corrosion of the alloy calipers. This causes the pads to be too tight and hence they don't move freely.

The EBC pads may or may not be a smidgen different in dimension to the OE pads. Even half a millimetre could cause a usually tight fitting brake pad to be too tight to fit.

Alps used these EBC pads on his E55 and said he had to file them down a bit to fit. If they need filing down it will be on the sides - but until you go to do the job you won't know if they need it or how much. Maybe as simple as a thicker paint coating on the sides or as much as needing a mm or two shaved off for a proper fit.

I'm sure he'll be able to advise how much he needed to remove but as I say you'll need to remove the old pads and see first before doing anything :)

And as above - just the pins need to come out - the caliper can stay in place if you're not changing the discs.

You'll obviously need to remove the wear sensors though :thumb:

PS - order new pins. And have a hacksaw ready just in case :) be ready for a fight!

I did my own E55 (albeit a few years back now) and changed all the pads. As Will says, 4 per side, though I didn't have to do any fettling with the new ones.

My only concern was the SBC system, so the car remained locked and the key out of the way.

Red stuff are lawful, get yellow stuff from EBC direct. They fit straight in. I put yellow stuff in my mates E55 and genuine MB in mine, same fitment

Callipers stay in place. Pins out, pads out, pads in, pins in.

Are you doing this yourself by the way?

I am considering it yes. I expect that if I give a garage the money to do it then I'll be looking at a big cost in labour if anything is wrong. The only caveat is that if a garage does it and there is an issue, such as a knackered caliper, then they are best placed to do it. The fronts were done in the last 2 years I believe so hopefully shouldn't put up too much of a fight.

Just to clarify - OP has an E55, they're different pads/calipers to what all you guys have - in theory all pads should fit properly out of the box..

However, in the real world this isn't always the case. The (aluminium) Brembo 8-pot calipers have four brake pads each at the front. The inner face pads tend to get stuck anyway (even OE) as the stainless guide plates move out away from the calipers due to the corrosion of the alloy calipers. This causes the pads to be too tight and hence they don't move freely.

The EBC pads may or may not be a smidgen different in dimension to the OE pads. Even half a millimetre could cause a usually tight fitting brake pad to be too tight to fit.

Alps used these EBC pads on his E55 and said he had to file them down a bit to fit. If they need filing down it will be on the sides - but until you go to do the job you won't know if they need it or how much. Maybe as simple as a thicker paint coating on the sides or as much as needing a mm or two shaved off for a proper fit.

I'm sure he'll be able to advise how much he needed to remove but as I say you'll need to remove the old pads and see first before doing anything :)

And as above - just the pins need to come out - the caliper can stay in place if you're not changing the discs.

You'll obviously need to remove the wear sensors though :thumb:

PS - order new pins. And have a hacksaw ready just in case :) be ready for a fight!

Cheers, new pins will be getting ordered, as I need to do the rears as well (discs needed too). Alps is the one who advised me of the need to file the pads. I am just hoping it goes smoothly as I am not that mechanically minded, but changing pads is something that I have done before.

I did my own E55 (albeit a few years back now) and changed all the pads. As Will says, 4 per side, though I didn't have to do any fettling with the new ones.

My only concern was the SBC system, so the car remained locked and the key out of the way.

I'll be disconnecting both batteries and SBC.

Red stuff are lawful, get yellow stuff from EBC direct. They fit straight in. I put yellow stuff in my mates E55 and genuine MB in mine, same fitment

I had YellowStuff in my M5. NEVER again. My wife's Twingo felt better.

Funnily enough, that's usually the response from Nissan owners on the subject of Redstuff. - Never had a problem with Yellowstuff myself.

Lol. I guess different courses for different horses.

I've seen various posts about RedStuff and other than making the rotors wear a bit quicker they seem to do ok

Spot on advice.
My Brembo pads had to be filed slightly to remove some paint on the edges for a loose fit. I also had some corrosion on one caliper that was a problem until cleaned up.
Apart from that, should be no more difficult than any other pad change.

I had Redstuff in my SL500, and no issues at all, car stopped well (that's the basic need!!), didn't overheat greatly and produced minimal dust. Can't comment on the Yellowstuff as I've never used them. Know others using Redstuff and happy

As Will said ; its the thicker paint on the metal plate the pads sit on and any corrosion that pushes the steel calliper plate out which causes the tightness.

you will see where its tight and just file a bit there.

new calliper pins defo and spray the old ones up with penetrating spray a few hours before attempting the job

As Will said ; its the thicker paint on the metal plate the pads sit on and any corrosion that pushes the steel calliper plate out which causes the tightness.

you will see where its tight and just file a bit there.

new calliper pins defo and spray the old ones up with penetrating spray a few hours before attempting the job

Hmmm, but that'll get onto the discs?

Most of that evaporates and any remaining is easily removed with clean cloth.

Are you talking yourself out of doing the job?:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom