• Yes

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
I am worried about the Ebola problem and don`t understand why the the rich countries around the world have not responded sooner. I think it is all too little to late and could easily escalate into a pandemic.

Why are you worried? It's not the easiest of bugs to catch for one thing. What about malaria or an airborne virus that is easish to catch like the flu? Either of them regularly kill FAR more people worldwide every year than ebola

WHO | Ebola virus disease granted the current outbreak has eclipsed the historical numbers in that link at 4000 deaths so far but

WHO | Influenza (Seasonal) says
Influenza occurs globally with an annual attack rate estimated at 5%–10% in adults and 20%–30% in children. Illnesses can result in hospitalization and death mainly among high-risk groups (the very young, elderly or chronically ill). Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths.
WHO | 10 facts on malaria 207 million cases in 2012 with between 473000 to 789000 deaths, 90% of those in Africa and most of them children

If you're the worrying type i'd stop watching/reading the news as they never let the truth get in the way of a good panic

Last edited:
Why is it worrying?

High mortality rate.

Potentially long incubating period, makeing it difficult to isolate.

A very nasty way to go...

And, potential breakdown of law and order in the event that health workers - followed by police and other government agencies - refuse to deal with infected patients.

As Druk hinted, the only missing element is that (as far as we know) it is not airborne - yet...

But I am still of the opinion that there is no point in worrying about things we can't do much about anyway (on a personal level, that is - obviously countries and governments can and should act now).

It will either happen, or it won't... time will tell. Who knows, the young lad with the VW Polo may have gotten it right after all :D

Of course im worried,i am medically ignorant.

I heard this quote a few year ago and it springs to mind now:

"There are two kinds of worries - those you can do something about and those you can't. Don't spend any time on the latter." - Duke Ellington.

No problem was ever improved by worrying about it.
Prudent action and preparation would be a good idea.

At least if it spreads, we have the ability to closely monitor or close the borders. Oh, wait...

Certainly concerning.

Ebola has the potential to cause massive disruption in Africa, loss of lives, breakdown of an already failing infrastructure and economic failing.

Mitigating factors outside of Africa are a clearer understanding of the disease and its means of transmission, better communications and an organised medical, military and police.

That said, Spanish Flu killed around 75,000,000 between 1918 and 1920, and HIV/AIDs 40,000,000 to date.

And, of course, not just Ebola. Marburg at least, if not worse.

WHO | Marburg virus disease - Uganda

Addressing the incidence of hospital acquired infections in the UK might be a good starting point closer to home ? As far as Ebola and other contagious diseases are concerned, the one thing we are not short of is complacency.:rolleyes:

I you think the (un)popular press are hysterical now, wait until it reaches Sangatte.

Anyway, whatever happened to bird flu?

Wasn't that meant to wipe us all out a few year ago?

...That said, Spanish Flu killed around 75,000,000 between 1918 and 1920, and HIV/AIDs 40,000,000 to date....[/URL]

You can avoid contracting AIDS.

And we are generally good at developing flu vaccines.

But Ebola is pretty much an unknown quantity as far as Westerns are concerned.

Don't worry Mr. Mainwaring, Nigel and his crew are going to be in charge soon and as long as we all read the Daily Mail, eat a full English every morning and drink pints of beer we'll all be fine.*

* possibly.

Malaria has killed about half the people who have ever lived.
The problem with Africa is corruption. I have been in and out of Africa since late 50s to 1999.

Ebola is past the bird flu death figures already. Bird flu, swine flu, are nothing compared to Ebola, it's nasty - very nasty.

Addressing the incidence of hospital acquired infections in the UK might be a good starting point closer to home ? As far as Ebola and other contagious diseases are concerned, the one thing we are not short of is complacency.:rolleyes:

Quite. And what is more, the manner in which the executive in addressing these issue is breathtakingly incompetent.

We are governed by mediocre feckwits :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom