• Yes

Votes: 29 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are having a raffle to raise funds to help out. Sponsored by a fizzy drinks maker

yes it will be the Coke-a-Cola tombola for ebola

:D

It's not been clear so far as to what attempts have been made to control it in Africa.

The case in Texas appears to show that the disease does not spread easily in the general population. Health workers appear to be disproportionately at risk.

As an example - Norovirus is highly contagious by direct and indirect contact but simple measures can control its spread as long as the public actually observe them.

The unfolding story is now that a second Texas healthcare worker is infected and has just been on a plane with 132 passengers who they are now desperately trying to trace. You just couldn't make it up. So far the USA has also doubled the number of cases in less than 20 days and that's with full protective clothing and training. I suppose I should just not panic? We all know that the American healthcare service is inferior to the NHS, don't we?

The unfolding story is now that a second Texas healthcare worker is infected and has just been on a plane with 132 passengers who they are now desperately trying to trace. You just couldn't make it up. So far the USA has also doubled the number of cases in less than 20 days and that's with full protective clothing and training. I suppose I should just not panic? We all know that the American healthcare service is inferior to the NHS, don't we?

Save your panic until it becomes clear as to whether there are any infections linked to the healthcare worker *outside* the hospital. Or to the original patient.

And yes you could make it up. Our society isn't used to the idea of quarantine and movement restrictions.

If there's a 70% fatality rate then Ebola can be quite logically and brutally controlled. Society may not be quite prepared for the solution either.

Last edited:
The unfolding story is now that a second Texas healthcare worker is infected

What may be rather more poignant are the reports about how that lack of isolation of other patients.

We're watching *our* healthcare systems following a deadly learning curve.

image-2969302145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Has anybody else got the feeling that this really isn't like Bird Flu, Sars or Swine Flu?

And, does anybody know if Donald Rumsfeld is a share holder in that Pharmaceutical Company receiving US Govt grants to develop a vaccine. The man was all over vaccine companies for the previous scare/s, and damn near got all his oil back from the Iraqis', cleaver fellow is the Don. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is investing in this also...??

Air France flight with 180 quarantined in Madrid Airport.
Morocco withdraws as 2015 Africa Cup of Nations host over ebola. More panic?

Uk Govt and Welcome Foundation pledge £10 million for vaccine cure. Facebook founder pledges $10million for vaccine. Even more panic?

Then panic is good. :thumb:

Even more panic?

Then panic is good. :thumb:

This isn't panic.

There has a been a shift in the perceived value of effort in trying to improve treatment and prevernstion of this disease.

Panic would be shutting down airports and restricting travel and having procedures in place to forcibly quarantine victims' contacts.

The reaction in some countries to H5N1 to dealing wth travellers was rather stronger than what we've seen with Ebola so far in the west.

I think the Texas case has demonstrated a western arrogance and complacency that we're somehow better in terms of skills and procedures. The view seemed to be that the medical services here could deal with things better than those in Africa. (The US probably took the same view of the Spanish). And yet we've seen 3 healthcare workers infected by two patients in different countries.

Private Eye 1377

2afevyb.jpg

According to WHO Nigeria is now an "Ebola free" country. Thank God for that! I was beginning to worry that it might effect the million pounds I am due to get for helping out that Nigerian chap with his inheritance money. My £10k investment is safe--- phew.

Cases of infection doubling every three weeks.
4000+ dead so far.
71% mortality rate.
Cases in USA and Europe.
USA case: Two relatives under armed guard to contain them indoors, 100 more under observation (that came into contact with the deceased).
Transmittable via contact with living, deceased, anything that has been in contact with either.
The stated intention of Isis to deliver a fatal virus to its enemies.
Isis now regards UK as enemy (along with much of the Western world).

Nah, nothing to be concerned about.
Anyone know where I can get my C63 chipped to 500hp?...

14 days since your last post and the deaths have now exceeded 10,000.

Would anyone care to guess the toll in another 14 days time?

14 days since your last post and the deaths have now exceeded 10,000.

Would anyone care to guess the toll in another 14 days time?

I think you will find that the latest figures are 10,000 cases of which 5,000 died.

I'm starting to feel old here. In the 80s we were all going to die of AIDS if we'd had sex. Then mad cow disease was going to spongify your brain if you'd had a burger/kebab. Then we had bird flu and the country was going to fall apart as no one would be at work unless they'd had a jab. Now this. Surprised I've made it this far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom