EBV, ABS, ESP inoperative + loss of PAS & general meltdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilG

Car
'08 S211 320 CDI Sport
This has now happened twice, both times when my wife has been driving. I have been unable to provoke the car into doing this behaviour and I've driven it a lot more. Not sure what she can be doing differently!

IMG-20200916-WA0000.jpg

It has gone away with ignition cycle, and PAS comes back. She said this happened on a roundabout and felt the rear end slip slightly (felt like one wheel). Could this be ABS having a meltdown?

Scanned the codes with my iCarsoft, there's tons:

P2000 torque from traction system unreasonable
P1860 unreasonable right rear wheel RPM on CAN bus
P1861 unreasonable left rear wheel RPM on CAN bus
D409 scary CAN meltdown message about brakes
D40A another scary CAN meltdown message about brakes
D40B another scary CAN meltdown message about brakes
D40C another scary CAN meltdown message about brakes

It seems unlikely that this is just one speed sensor. Car is a 2008 S211 320 CDI. Anyone got any idea what to try next?

This has now happened twice, both times when my wife has been driving. I have been unable to provoke the car into doing this behaviour and I've driven it a lot more. Not sure what she can be doing differently!

Anyone got any idea what to try next?
Sorry to hear about your problem. I think it is impossible to mimic a wife's behaviour and I wouldn't try. Besides I wouldn't let my wife drive my car and your post has ensured it stays that way. ;) :)

This could also be down to a faulty battery or alternator.

Slipping/failing auxiliary drive belt, briefly under-driving the PAS pump and alternator? Are you getting any squealing at all from the belt, particularly after a damp climate start up?

All cars of this era onwards throw 10s of false error messages when the battery voltage is significantly lower than required. I think it is because the sensors require a stable battery voltage to read correctly, and so many sensors briefly output values outside of their programmed ranges, thus lots of error messages.

For very intermittent, but multiple parallel (seeming unrelated) errors, I would always start by suspecting the battery and/or charging circuit.

Martin.

When you say a roundabout, could she perhaps be stationery and flooring it to get out?
Many drivers don't understand the different driving style that is needed from a small fwd to a large rwd car like this.

These cars will very easily spin up the back wheels when flooring it.

Thanks all, yes I also suspect the battery is weak. I noticed it was 11.9V when not running, running over 14V so sounds like the charging system is fine. It did also not start with the vigor it should on relatively warm summer mornings.

I have ordered a battery tester to check it out, hopefully it is just that and not a dying control module!

Update on this - battery tested as BAD. It was only about 50% of the expected cold cranking amps (CCA). I bought an eBay cheapie (to the right spec) and replaced it (making sure to keep 12v on the car) and all seems to be well now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom