EBV ESP ABS lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy2007

Car
Audi S8, BMW E30 Motorsport convertible
Hi all.

I have a 2008 C63, yesterday it developed a fault as follows:

EBV, ESP, ABS warning lights, Run Flat indicator inoperative. The power steering also stopped working.

The car will start with no faults then after driving a few yards (up to 15 mph) the warning messages appear.

I have read previous posts on this forum and on another forum that these warning messages could be due to a faulty ABS sensor or indeed a steering angle sensor or worse still a faulty ESP unit.

FYI the car has covered 62000 miles.

Please feel free to add any comments if you have had similar issues.

I had this problem few months ago, was told by other members it was the abs module, had a mate put fault finder on, it was indeed the abs module, was already to buy 2nd hand one off eBay, when all of a sudden the fault cleared and everything has been ok since

From my experience it's usually a fault front wheel speed sensor, closely followed by the steering column switch module for failure rate. I've never diagnosed a faulty ABS unit on one of these.
When the steering column switch module is the culprit, usually the buttons on the wheel don't work.
Was the car hot or cold at the time?

I had the same happen to me few months back. It was the abs module. It was something like £1300 (cant remember exactly) but was covered by warranty.

2008 C-Class will be taking the tyre pressure loss from wheel speed (rather than having a transducer in each wheel), won't it?

In which case one of the wheel speed sensors would be my starting point too. - Without that there's no ABS, no ABS means to ESP. - It's the power steering which is confusing.

From my experience it's usually a fault front wheel speed sensor, closely followed by the steering column switch module for failure rate. I've never diagnosed a faulty ABS unit on one of these.
When the steering column switch module is the culprit, usually the buttons on the wheel don't work.
Was the car hot or cold at the time?

The car was hot, steering wheel buttons work fine. I've also used an i980 scanner which confirms an esp internal fault.

Sounds expensive. Does make you wonder why they fitted the abs unit so close to the left exhaust manifold. Them daft metal shields simply can't cope with the amount of heat under there and cook the abs unit. They should of put the battery in the boot then the abs unit could go where the battery was.

Update...

Car is booked into local indy who will be sending the unit off to 'ECUTesting.com'. I have checked out their reviews and all seems good. I have been quoted 195 for a full rebuild (assuming there genuinely is an internal fault with the ESP/ABS Unit). They charge 45.00 GBP for a full test, so if nothing is wrong with the Unit then I will only lose out on the test fee.

I will post an udate once i get the rebuild done.

I get the feeling this ESP/ABS internal fault on the C class/ E Class etc is not entirely uncommon, I also believe Mercedes Benz have a habit of using poorly manufactured components in certain areas (I previously ran a CLS55 AMG and had to replace window regulators, an SBC unit, airmatic shocks etc). A rebuild of 195.00 is a much better alternative to 900.00 plus VAT for a new unit. Interestingly I test drove a CL 63 before I bought my C 63, everything was going well on the test drive until we pulled up at the owners drive and the ABS/ESP lights came on along with a loss of power steering..... exactly the same symptoms I am currently experiencing on the c63.

Update...

Car is booked into local indy who will be carrying out an A3 service and sending the unit off to 'ECUTesting.com'. I have checked out their reviews and all seems good. I have been quoted 195 for a full rebuild (assuming there genuinely is an internal fault with the ESP/ABS Unit). They charge 45.00 GBP for a full test, so if nothing is wrong with the Unit then I will only lose out on the test fee.

I get the feeling this ESP/ABS internal fault on the C class/ E Class etc is not entirely uncommon, I also believe Mercedes Benz have a habit of using poorly manufactured components in certain areas (I previously ran a CLS55 AMG and had to replace window regulators, an SBC unit, airmatic shocks etc). A rebuild of 195.00 is a much better alternative to 900.00 plus VAT for a new unit. Interestingly I test drove a CL 63 before I bought my C 63, everything was going well on the test drive until we pulled up at the owners drive and the ABS/ESP lights came on along with a loss of power steering..... exactly the same symptoms I am currently experiencing on the c63.

How did the rebuild go ?

I do have the same issue on my E class 2008. The ABS, ESP, TPS were inoperable and power steering also disabled after driving for a minute or two. All stemmed from running over a puddle and having the car idle for 2 days in subzero temperatures.
Since then have had the axle and wheel speed sensor replaced on the rear right side and still get the code 4575: RPM sensor: rotation direction is incorrect. Have not been able to get a proper answer from Mercedes dealers and other "European car specialized" mechanics.

Update on my own car for future people on the post, I got rid of all of my lights/issues by changing the ABS rotation sensor with one from the dealership! (an extra 70ish dollars) I had tried a non-dealer sensor initially but that did not completely fix the issues, so don't go down that avenue.

Update...

Car is booked into local indy who will be carrying out an A3 service and sending the unit off to 'ECUTesting.com'. I have checked out their reviews and all seems good. I have been quoted 195 for a full rebuild (assuming there genuinely is an internal fault with the ESP/ABS Unit). They charge 45.00 GBP for a full test, so if nothing is wrong with the Unit then I will only lose out on the test fee.

Hi Randy,

I have same problem as you. ABS, ESP, EBV is not working, runflat indicator, and power steering. Can you tell me how did you solve it? What was the problem?

Thank you
Martin

Last edited:
Ive had a few cars in that had this very similar fault. ESP, ABS, and quite often steering angle sensor. Some had sticking calipers warping the disks in turn which affected the wheel speed sensor and the ESP. Some just had a dodgy ABS sensor. One I done had the retaining screw for the brake disk off it. well it wasnt actually off it but head of it had been grinded off and the rest of it left in the hub. this is an old school way and on older cars didnt really matter that the wheel bolts would hold the brake disk flush. But with cars with the ESP sensors on them and all sorts of other stuff, it will pick up all those things thru the wheel speed sensor and from the offset alignment it will cause messages on the dash aswell.

Hi Randy,

I have same problem as you. ABS, ESP, EBV is not working, runflat indicator, and power steering. Can you tell me how did you solve it? What was the problem?

Thank you
Martin
Its possible to be the ABS control module, it controls ABS, ESP & power steering. You need to get the car to an indy or a dealer to have the fault codes read.
If it is the ABS control module, it used to be about £1,000GBP for a replacement

Never came across the ABS control module to be faulty. 9/10 = wheel speed sensor. But it throws up other faults ESP etc. Anything that sais plausable pressure error concerning brakes will be a bad caliper or master brake cylinder or both BUT will be combined with a lazy brake pedal. Pads wear down. Piston sticks then seal bursts in caliper or M/B/C.... or both. Something to look out for on them.

Its possible to be the ABS control module, it controls ABS, ESP & power steering. You need to get the car to an indy or a dealer to have the fault codes read.
If it is the ABS control module, it used to be about £1,000GBP for a replacement

Well, it was the ABS control module that caused that issue on my old W204 C63, and the indy described the reasons to me, and said that it has caused bother on a few other other W204 non AMG models

Interesting. Was there wheel speed sensors at fault too or just the module?

Well, it was the ABS control module that caused that issue on my old W204 C63, and the indy described the reasons to me, and said that it has caused bother on a few other other W204 non AMG models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom