Eco Houses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are all electric.
I've not previously thought to compare in the way you have done above.
Our annual solar generation to 1/12/22 was 3899kWh (must be sunnier in Suffolk than Norfolk)
Our electricity purchase was Day - 5758kWh, Night - 2407kWh, totalling 8165kWh.
The Solar iBoost+ installed in Aug/Sept should help us use more of the electric we generate & reduce the amount we buy.
The comparison is done on the latest Scottish Power app, and there are plenty of other permutations of how you can compare things.
We have just 14 panels on the roof in addition to a hot water heat exchanger which helps feed the heat store.
I know the village we used to live in (some 3 miles away now) had one of the least rainfalls in the country, but I'm not sure of the sunshine figures!

The comparison is done on the latest Scottish Power app, and there are plenty of other permutations of how you can compare things.
We have just 14 panels on the roof in addition to a hot water heat exchanger which helps feed the heat store.
I know the village we used to live in (some 3 miles away now) had one of the least rainfalls in the country, but I'm not sure of the sunshine figures!
We have 19 smaller panels, allegedly 3.70kW (smaller panels fitted roof shape better).solar panels.jpg

Last edited:
With another winter coming up and gas and electric prices going to be as high or higher than last year (because of no government subsidies) I hope everyone has been busy insulating during the warm summer months ?
I say this because I realised yesterday that I haven’t heard a single story from friends and neighbours about anyone doing anything .
Cold weather is going to be a shock again in a month or so !

In my 'hard to heat hard to treat' 1930's 3 bed, I've spent this year getting rid of what I hope is the last of any drafts that I can track down.

When we moved in for example, there was a half inch gap under the front door, so if you lay on the hall floor you could see the drive 😅

I've also installed anti backdraft in-ducting shutters for the three extractor fan, as likewise you could just look theough them to outside. I bought a few to inspect and went with the aluminium ones in the end as they seemed to be easier to fiddle with and fine tune so the closing spring was at the perfect tension (i.e. not very much) to fully open when the fan runs.

I for one am very jealous of the eco house owners comfort and lack of bills over the winter. I'm kind of locked into this house, and any move would be to a similar house in worse energy performance condition, of a generic new build with 6 neighbours overlooking the micro garden, all knowingly built on local flood plains.

In my 'hard to heat hard to treat' 1930's 3 bed, I've spent this year getting rid of what I hope is the last of any drafts that I can track down.

When we moved in for example, there was a half inch gap under the front door, so if you lay on the hall floor you could see the drive 😅

I've also installed anti backdraft in-ducting shutters for the three extractor fan, as likewise you could just look theough them to outside. I bought a few to inspect and went with the aluminium ones in the end as they seemed to be easier to fiddle with and fine tune so the closing spring was at the perfect tension (i.e. not very much) to fully open when the fan runs.

I for one am very jealous of the eco house owners comfort and lack of bills over the winter. I'm kind of locked into this house, and any move would be to a similar house in worse energy performance condition, of a generic new build with 6 neighbours overlooking the micro garden, all knowingly built on local flood plains.
Good job buddy , I knew you would be on it ! Have you got a link to those shutters (do they bang in the wind ?) . My flapped one for the kitchen extractor has always been noisy in the wind .
I’ve resorted years ago to putting a sponge on the end of a stick that is rammed in from the outside to stop the flap moving , yes it needs taking out before using the extractor ;) . We have actually named it “venty “ as it feels like part of the family .

Changed our narrow boat earlier this year for a newer same make different layout. Our older one had solar on the roof which worked fine but our new one has non so as soon as we get back from France in a couple of weeks i will be on it, thinking maybe 4 this time. We were frozen in for a couple of weeks last winter and i got a bit over zealous with the log burner, had to go to the on site bar for a few hours to cool down fron the
28 deg Cabin 😇. Thinking of going Spain for 6 weeks after new year this time, much cheaper than coal and logs.

It was something like this from either Amazon or eBay.

The ducting for my extractor I specifically and accurately fitted smooth plastic 4" pipe and made sure all joints were reasonably air tight (e.g. so it'snot extracting into the wall cavity!). This shutter fits inside the pipe. It was a bit too tight a fit with the foam, so I cut that off and a few wraps of black electrical tape gave a very snug fit when pushing into the end. The rubber seal creates the best seal out of the ones I bought.

There are plastic ones, but I broke the one I bought trying to fettle the spring tension, hence I went with aluminium.

@Mactech
what is the set up on your eco house for extractors/ventilation whilst minimising drafts (air leakage)? Does it have passive heat recovery, or something else? Or no extractors?

Just a little reminder about stopping drafts. Our boat has ventilator vents in the door's to the deck, very drafty without a deck cover on, new boat has one. I put a couple of cushions against them one night with the log burner glowing nicely watching telly, two hours later the CO2 alarm went off, please be careful with things. On boats the air circulation is calculated on the safety cert for a reason 😇

@Mactech
what is the set up on your eco house for extractors/ventilation whilst minimising drafts (air leakage)? Does it have passive heat recovery, or something else? Or no extractors?
Ours is far from an eco house however when it was converted from a different type of building the planning consents were dependent upon some requirements.

One of which is that instead of traditional extractor fans there’s an air recirculation system which you might ordinarily find in a hotel, shopping centre, or office.

Internal intakes in the ceilings of the kitchen, bathrooms and main living spaces extract warm moist air to pass through a heat exchanger which is in the loft.

The heat exchanger transfers the heat to fresh incoming air from external intakes outside, which is filtered and routed back to living spaces and bedrooms as warmish air.

Apparently it’s something like 92% efficient in terms of retaining heat, but makes a big difference to actively managing moisture content in the air inside the building.

The trade off for fraught proofing and sealing the living spaces requires that there’s a mechanical alternative to do the job. There’s still ventilation beneath the floor, etc.

air recirculation system
A great system but more suited to a new build, i looked at this many years ago as i was looking to self build, it was a very new idea at the time. It was being show cased at a show in Birmingham, 80s i think. They demonstrated various intake and outlet vents for walls and ceilings with rectangular ducting for the wall cavity, i remember asking about skirting board outlets and was answered with " we hadn't thought of that ".😇

The ducting for my extractor I specifically and accurately fitted smooth plastic 4" pipe and made sure all joints were reasonably air tight (e.g. so it'snot extracting into the wall cavity!). This shutter fits inside the pipe. It was a bit too tight a fit with the foam, so I cut that off and a few wraps of black electrical tape gave a very snug fit when pushing into the end. The rubber seal creates the best seal out of the ones I bought.

There are plastic ones, but I broke the one I bought trying to fettle the spring tension, hence I went with aluminium.

@Mactech
Vent ordered buddy :)

A great system but more suited to a new build, i looked at this many years ago as i was looking to self build, it was a very new idea at the time. It was being show cased at a show in Birmingham, 80s i think. They demonstrated various intake and outlet vents for walls and ceilings with rectangular ducting for the wall cavity, i remember asking about skirting board outlets and was answered with " we hadn't thought of that ".😇
Yes it would be invasive to retrofit. In our case it’s a very old building but it was gutted ready for conversion so it was installed during the conversion. I dread to think how many metres of pipe work it has created.

Very easy to retro-fit the systems in bungalows & maybe chalet bungalows, but existing houses would be more difficult.

@Mactech
Bought one on your money back guarantee offer buddy ;) , all fitted to the hob extractor , it was a 6” one and seemed to open the flaps easy enough even on the lowest blower setting .
So bring on the next storm to test it out !

My trusty 23 year old Vaillant boiler developed a leak a few weeks ago on the exit condensing side . I did have the spare part ready in a box as I knew it was an upcoming fault on that boiler model .
In the end I just thought I’ll get a new boiler instead , after 23 years I was on borrowed time . I had bought it for £400 , so it cost me nothing .
Anyway after much research I plumbed for a 21 kw Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 boiler ….what an absolute monster , Everything gets hot so fast .
Roll on the cold weather :cool:

My trusty 23 year old Vaillant boiler developed a leak a few weeks ago on the exit condensing side . I did have the spare part ready in a box as I knew it was an upcoming fault on that boiler model .
In the end I just thought I’ll get a new boiler instead , after 23 years I was on borrowed time . I had bought it for £400 , so it cost me nothing .
Anyway after much research I plumbed for a 21 kw Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 boiler ….what an absolute monster , Everything gets hot so fast .
We bought ours in December to avoid the government levy (£180ish) charge.

Gowd knows when I’ll get it fitted. 🫣

IMG_0037.jpeg

We went with a Greenstar 8000 just over 14 months ago (or was it 26?). Yes, they are very good compared with the older ones. I did think about moving it from the 'old airing cupboard' in the bathroom to the kitchen and taking some space back from the cupboard, but as per this Eco House thread, I think we are all heading for thermal stores and plant rooms, and the existing space will probably be sufficient for a thermal store when that is forced upon us (either by legislation or by the sheer price tax that will no doubt be in place for not having one). Ultimately, as the majority of a property energy expenditure/demand is for heating water (excluding the newer demand of EV charging), from an engineering perspective, thermal stores have to be a major part of reshaping out energy infrastructure.

We went with a Greenstar 8000 just over 14 months ago (or was it 26?). Yes, they are very good compared with the older ones. I did think about moving it from the 'old airing cupboard' in the bathroom to the kitchen and taking some space back from the cupboard, but as per this Eco House thread, I think we are all heading for thermal stores and plant rooms, and the existing space will probably be sufficient for a thermal store when that is forced upon us (either by legislation or by the sheer price tax that will no doubt be in place for not having one). Ultimately, as the majority of a property energy expenditure/demand is for heating water (excluding the newer demand of EV charging), from an engineering perspective, thermal stores have to be a major part of reshaping out energy infrastructure.
I did look at the 8000’s , but with all my house insulation I didn’t need one that powerful (I know they can be optimised down )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom