Eco Houses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The solution to the above problem was as simple as it was effective.:)
Remove locknut from ceiling vent disc. Lubricate thread. Superglue spare hose fitting to disc to act as adjustment knob. Wind disc up to full closed position.
Result: 4dba reduction of spill over hifi noise in to the study. :cool: Proper result! Cost zero!

IMG_0949.JPG

My duct system starts at the MHRV unit with 150mm dia ducts which go round the house, reducing to 125mm dia then 100mm dia with branches off the main run to each room. We get "cross talk" between rooms - in my study directly below a bedroom where the branches off the main duct are perhaps only 1m apart I can hear the TV in the room above.
Since installing my system the supplier I use has added a new duct system which I have used in a couple of new houses. The MHRV unit is connected with 150mm ducts to 2 manifolds (one inlet & one extract). From these manifolds separate smaller ducts go to each room - minimises the sound transmission between rooms.
Just looking for a link & I find they have changed again to a similar system Ubbink Air Excellent System

Some of you will have spotted we had a visit from Eunice on Friday. Due to living it the wilds of Norfolk, it seems we are connected to the national power grid on a small piece of 2 amp flex or similar. By mid afternoon Friday we were getting numerous brief cuts in power until the voltage dropped dramatically, so it was unable to fire up either fluorescent or some LED bulbs. By midnight there was a complete cut.
Power was not back on until after dark yesterday (Saturday). I know we are a lot luckier than some, and I now have some idea of the advantages of the good insulation of our eco house.
Despite numerous entry and exits, the core temperature of the house dropped by considerably less than 2 degrees despite the howling winds and sub 4 degree external temperatures. I'm not sure how that compares with other eco houses, but I was very thankful as we have no alternative heat source without electricity on as the house has no chimneys.
I know in our previous house we might have had a roaring log fire in one room, but the rest of the house would have been freezing!

Some of you will have spotted we had a visit from Eunice on Friday. Due to living it the wilds of Norfolk, it seems we are connected to the national power grid on a small piece of 2 amp flex or similar. By mid afternoon Friday we were getting numerous brief cuts in power until the voltage dropped dramatically, so it was unable to fire up either fluorescent or some LED bulbs. By midnight there was a complete cut.
Power was not back on until after dark yesterday (Saturday). I know we are a lot luckier than some, and I now have some idea of the advantages of the good insulation of our eco house.
Despite numerous entry and exits, the core temperature of the house dropped by considerably less than 2 degrees despite the howling winds and sub 4 degree external temperatures. I'm not sure how that compares with other eco houses, but I was very thankful as we have no alternative heat source without electricity on as the house has no chimneys.
I know in our previous house we might have had a roaring log fire in one room, but the rest of the house would have been freezing!
It's the wind wash that sucks the heat out of "leaky" houses which is why draught proofing is the single most important factor in making a house feel comfortable. Humans can stand a lower temperature if it's not draughty. Your houses airtightness, coupled with the insulation really helps prevent heat decay. All new houses should be built this way with a heat recovery system too. Of course our major housebuilders take little interest in new technology; what could GB possibly learn from "foreigners" who live in more comfortable houses with more severe winter conditions? In this I'm thinking of the homes I've visited in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia etc, etc.....I think you get my point.

Whilst Insulate Britain goes about it the wrong way their aim is laudable. We could build houses that take 1KW or less to heat but that would require attention to detail during the build. The sooner we move mainstream building to modular off site construction the better

As I slowly, slowly do up my heat waste nightmare that is known as a 1930's house, I have purposefully kept the old airing cupboard and not made the bathroom bigger.
I am constantly thinking of thermal stores and remembering post #1 in this thread.
Provided I can get a decent level of draft proofing on the house (and it is many times better than when I moved in) I think it will be fairly comfortable with much improved energy consumption (reduction).
The old airing cupboard space I wistfully hope will be big enough to accommodate a thermal store/heat exchanger ; it looks like it would fit one from by brother in law's newish build house, but nothing so large in once space as the Plant Room MacTech has :cool:.
I really think if 'we' are going to reduce domestic energy consumption, thermal stores are the way to go, capturing all that wasted heat and solar energy. But they do have one problem.
If we are able to be 'self sufficient' with energy, there is a tax revenue stream gone, so I don't see much change in the future other than if you want it, pay for it yourself.

I am very jealous MacTech - a good choice of house and a lovely location we holiday in usually at least once a year (March coming up 🥶)

In these times of huge energy cost rises and global warming giving us mid 30's temperatures, the eco house is, again, showing the benefits of proper insulation.
We have learned to close the doors and windows in the serious heat and then shut the curtains on the south side to avoid solar heating.
We can then enjoy a temperature gradient of 10 degrees and sit inside at a comfortable 25 deg whilst the roof solar panels produce a surplus of electricity which will pay for any fuel oil top ups required in the winter.
I fixed my incoming electricity tariff for two years in December last year and I have seen my bills continue to reduce as I continue to understand how to 'drive' the house more efficiently. I'm also 'selling' more power back to the grid this year at (as you might imagine) a higher rate.

I claim no credit for designing this eco home but it is certainly is looking like a sound investment in both the current economic and real climate.

Things you thought you were unlikely to say: 'It was cool enough in Norfolk today to have the doors open....' :rolleyes:

Given the stark reality of energy costs, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our move into an eco house in Norfolk from a Georgian 'draughty castle' in the soggy North West has been even more cost effective than I could have dreamed.
Energy usage over 7 years 'up North' ran at 37Kw/h per day (!) for sparks (an electric Aga was the main culprit.) and annual oil usage of 4000 litres.
In Norfolk , now I have comparable figures over the last 12 months, are 7Kw/h per day and an annual oil usage of 700 litres.
But given the house generates an average of 8.5Kw/h per day, and most of its own hot water, it almost pays for the oil bill.
I'm left this year with a weekly energy bill of about £12 per week! I can cope with that.
Can you fuel your car on that? I can't, and at the moment I have three of them.....food for thought.....

Given the stark reality of energy costs, it is becoming increasingly obvious that our move into an eco house in Norfolk from a Georgian 'draughty castle' in the soggy North West has been even more cost effective than I could have dreamed.
Energy usage over 7 years 'up North' ran at 37Kw/h per day (!) for sparks (an electric Aga was the main culprit.) and annual oil usage of 4000 litres.
In Norfolk , now I have comparable figures over the last 12 months, are 7Kw/h per day and an annual oil usage of 700 litres.
But given the house generates an average of 8.5Kw/h per day, and most of its own hot water, it almost pays for the oil bill.
I'm left this year with a weekly energy bill of about £12 per week! I can cope with that.
Can you fuel your car on that? I can't, and at the moment I have three of them.....food for thought.....
But you are living in Norfolk!🙄🤣

Interesting thread considering it started pre energy emergency.
I’m trying to get my head round running a vent with a fan from the lounge (to our bedroom upstairs ) where the log burner is to try and create a better spread of heat and airflow around the house rather than just heating the lounge .
Now is a good time to be in an eco house (you , not me )

It's kind of ironic how people are now looking at burning more dirty fuels (coals and wood) in contrast to what government has been pushing towards in terms of reducing their use. Own goal!

It's kind of ironic how people are now looking at burning more dirty fuels (coals and wood) in contrast to what government has been pushing towards in terms of reducing their use. Own goal!
Needs must , I can’t afford the gas if it keeps going up .

Wow, so your annual energy bill is in effect now under a couple of hundred quid, whereas for 37kWh per day and 4000 litres of oil, the lucky people who brought your old house will be paying over £10000 a year once the new price cap kicks in!

We’re about to move into a big old draughty place. I think I need to accelerate plans to install solar tiles!

Wow, so your annual energy bill is in effect now under a couple of hundred quid, whereas for 37kWh per day and 4000 litres of oil, the lucky people who brought your old house will be paying over £10000 a year once the new price cap kicks in!
Yes, they are big numbers! If you are earning £100k plus a year, then it's not really a big deal, but if you are now not earning and reliant on a pension, then an addition £10k a year is a serious uplift to your disposable income.
On a year to year basis, I am using 30% less electricity this year than last as I learn to 'drive' the house more efficiently. We use the washing machine and dishwasher when we have excess solar power and use the heat recovery system more effectively. It really isn't a hassle if you learn to plan ahead.
Very similar to the way I get 55mpg from a 2 tonne limo....and enjoy the luxury!:thumb:

We’re about to move into a big old draughty place. I think I need to accelerate plans to install solar tiles!
....and install effective insulation!:cool:....or maybe I should just sit down on some major roads and annoy people :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom