Eco ML?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
I dropped my wife off at the airport this morning in her ML320 CDI and on the return journey my intrinsic curiosity got the better of me and felt I had to find out what sort of economy I could get from a now fully run in 4x4.
I’m no ‘hypermiler’ so my speed was only limited by traffic conditions and national speed limits. I do admit to using a great deal of forward observation and the fundamental laws of conservation of energy. The air con was on and traffic conditions didn’t really warrant the use of cruise control.
But there was also a following wind!:) The more loaded (!);) and congested out bound trip was 8mpg less that this.
The pleasant result leads me to conclude that aerodynamics are important in everyday driving and that I was right to lower my S Class in pursuit of improved efficiency. The overall figures for that car year on year have risen from 40 to 43mpg.
I also feel Mercedes have done a good job with the efficiency of the latest four wheel drive system (as in ML, GL and R). An Audi Quattro from 10 years ago would take a 5mpg bite out of the economy of any similar engined two wheel drive model.
They may not be very PC, but there is no reason why a large Mercedes 4x4 should be regarded as an ecological disaster unless perhaps it’s an ML63!:devil:

Last edited:
I will have to tell my dad,

He loves his E320cdi estate as that gets over 40mpg easy but he would like a 4*4 for when they are over in europe in the winter months. He would however miss not getting 40mpg.

Ideally he would love a E320Cdi 4matic but thats not available in RHD :(

It has now done 9000 miles:eek:

We have essentially the same V6 CDI in our Vito, with similar mileage (8500). Driven steadily on the motorway the best mpg I've seen is low 30s.

You are quite right that with 'bulky' vehicles aerodynamic drag is a big factor. Driving 15 mph slower (or having a 15 mph tailwind ;)) makes a major difference when cruising. I suspect the Vito is a little lighter than an ML, but has a bit more frontal area.

In the year Ive owned my ML320 CDI, Ive covered 12000 miles, and averaged 28.2 mpg, mainly driving in and around London, not many motorway miles.
I have seen 38 mpg on a 300 mile motorway run, which I think for a large vehicle this is very good.

I own a 4x4, because I do spend some time off the beaten track, only last Saturday I was on a steep hill in about 4" of mud, even on road tyre the grip was fine.

Suits my needs perfect.

We have essentially the same V6 CDI in our Vito, with similar mileage (8500). Driven steadily on the motorway the best mpg I've seen is low 30s.

You are quite right that with 'bulky' vehicles aerodynamic drag is a big factor. Driving 15 mph slower (or having a 15 mph tailwind ;)) makes a major difference when cruising. I suspect the Vito is a little lighter than an ML, but has a bit more frontal area.

Yes, I suspect that the Vito has a larger frontal area and bigger drag coefficient than the ML. At best it's only a few kilos lighter.

That may be countered by the fact that our ML is used to carry slightly longer haired Blue Merle border collie than your Vito:rolleyes:

Of course, he's much more aerodynamic once he has put the crash helmet on!:D :eek:

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect that the Vito has a larger frontal area and bigger drag coefficient than the ML. At best it's only a few kilos lighter.

The V6 Vito Dualiner Long has a quoted kerbweight of 1940 kg.

After a bit of Googling I get 2185 kg kerbweight for an ML320 CDI?

That's 245 kg heavier!

The V6 Vito Dualiner Long has a quoted kerbweight of 1940 kg.

After a bit of Googling I get 2185 kg kerbweight for an ML320 CDI?

That's 245 kg heavier!

Yes that is a 'few' kilos lighter! I was looking at the Viano MPV weights. I'll have to have it explained to me the differences twixt a Dualiner and a Viano:eek:

Fundamentally the Viano has 3 rows of seats rather than 2. Generally plusher as well e.g. carpets, more sound insulation, etc.

Just got back from the Lakes still on the same tank of fuel as I left Norwich with last week. In the ML! :thumb: It returned this 38.4mpg on the return run and I am going to make 750 miles before having to fill up again.:D
I was passed at about 1400 feet:eek: by an ML63 on the A66 near Appleby Horse Fair....nice noise! I could hear it above the quietness of my wood burner, but it would frighten the horses and not sure I would want to pay his fuel bills!
I also passed an ML earlier in the week on the M25 with the reg WO08LYS.... ;) I was on the bike at the time, no one on here is it??

Last edited:
New ML's after June 30 will have 300cdi Blue Efficiency engines or 350cdi Blue Efficiency. A few available now.

I had a trip up to the Lake district last weekend and was again pleased with the comfort and economy of a fully loaded ML.
Anybody ever seen 48mpg in a big 4x4?:dk:
The overall for the journey was a still respectable 38mpg including climbing around the lakes.:)

Last edited:
I had a trip up to the Lake district last weekend and was again pleased with the comfort and economy of a fully loaded ML.
Anybody ever seen 48mpg in a big 4x4?:dk:
The overall for the journey was a still respectable 38mpg including climbing around the lakes.:)

Damn those faulty Mercedes electrics ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom