ECO mode - Stop/Start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Is there any use of this?

At start I was thinking it is a good feature and it will help saving fuel etc. but it is gettig a bit annoyning when engine stops when you don't want it to be like roundabouts etc.? So I deactivated it only to realize that it comes on automatically when you start the engine again. Is there a way we can deactivate it completely? when do you guys normally use it and is there really a benefit of this?

I don't believe you can. I just press the button which deactivates it as soon as I start up. I think it's a fuel saving, and emissions thing.

Yes, in the settings someplace it can be de activated I am sure I have seenit mentioned someplace or other.

I'd love to know how to deactivate it! Drives me mad ....

Yes, in the settings someplace it can be de activated I am sure I have seenit mentioned someplace or other.

Can you please share it for the benefit of everybody please :thumb:

I have gone through my manual and could not find how to deactivate it completely...it does mention you can press the ECO button and deactivate it but that is after you start the engine as it comes on automatically. If you forget about doing that then you only realize about it when it stops completely on your next full brake.

Nope, it can't be permanently deactivated.

It does actually save quite a quantity of fuel if you drive extensively in urban conditions, and it's easy to learn how to modulate the brake pedal to let the car lightly creep while almost stationary if you're in a momentary stop condition, such as at a roundabout, which will stop the engine cutting.

Maybe I am wrong then. But just to humour myself I shall check tomorrow.

There isn't anywhere in the settings that I have seen or have seen anyone report.

I don't find it an issue. It only activates if you have a certain amount of pressure on the brake pedal, so if I don't want it to activate at a roundabout I adjust the pressure on the pedal to stop it activating.

If it I am in a position where it is better to switch it off for a while I will do that.

The only way to disable it that I have seen is to disconnect the battery running it (one in the boot in my case).

Eco stop/start can be permanently deactivated.:cool:

We can do it. Its not something that you can do yourself.

Hi Alfie, when you say perm deactivate you mean it cannot be activated again or you mean it won't get activated until we want it so by pressing button?

How much would you charge for this and how long will it take? Thanks.

Last edited:
Nope, it can't be permanently deactivated.

It does actually save quite a quantity of fuel if you drive extensively in urban conditions, and it's easy to learn how to modulate the brake pedal to let the car lightly creep while almost stationary if you're in a momentary stop condition, such as at a roundabout, which will stop the engine cutting.

I know what you are saying and I have actually managed to stop the car without it going into halt mode few times but then you have to keep reminding yourself that if you brake hard it will go in halt mode and that bit is annoying! :wallbash:

Hi Alfie, when you say perm deactivate you mean it cannot be activated again or you mean it won't get activated until we want it so by pressing button?

How much you would charge for this and how long will it take? Thanks.

We can turn it off so it can never be used. If you wanted it turned back on then you would have to come and visit us again.

Costs £150 inc and takes about an hour.

We can turn it off so it can never be used. If you wanted it turned back on then you would have to come and visit us again.

Costs £150 inc and takes about an hour.

Thanks Alfie but I am rather looking for some workaround where the current functionality remains but it does not gets activated on an engine startup...don't want to disable it altogther as I may need it during rush-hour..

It's an emissions thing - the car has to start up in its default state. Same reason the auto box defaults to eco mode.

I can't remember which manufacturer it was, but one of them isn't "fitting" stop/start now as the extra cost wasn't worth the emissions test benefit. Once the test changes so there isn't so much idling I imagine more will drop it.

Thanks Alfie but I am rather looking for some workaround where the current functionality remains but it does not gets activated on an engine startup...don't want to disable it altogther as I may need it during rush-hour..

The workaround is in your own foot.

D@mn! It appears I was wrong. Could not find any mention in settings. How/why I thought I had read it there is beyond me, and worse, I actually had it in my mind to try that at some stage!

Now I am on a mission to work out where I had read something about it.

Simple solution is to press the button once when you start the car. That'll turn it off for the duration of the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom