ECO mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasons

SUPPORTER
Car
w204 c220 cdi sport
hi driving my C220 cdi W204 I noticed an issue with the eco mode when I started the car the eco symbol was yellow as normal but during the journey I looked at the speedo and noticed the symbol was missing I hadn't switched it off, the button was off as well I tried turning the button on but nothing was happening it stayed off the whole journey albeit a short 5 mile journey but when I reached my destination I keyed off and on and the symbol reappeared on the dash when I restarted the car later on the system behaved as normal eco symbol yellow then turned green after a couple of minutes, is this a sign something is on the way out like the battery or I read somewhere the system will disable itself if the timing chain is out .

It could mean that there's a fault that's disabling the Stop/Start function, you'll need to get the fault codes read using STAR (or iCarsoft scanner, if you have it). One common issue is a faulty brake vacuum sensor (cheap and easy fix).

But firstly take the car for a long drive (or better still, use a trickle charge) to fully charge the two batteries.

It could mean that there's a fault that's disabling the Stop/Start function, you'll need to get the fault codes read using STAR (or iCarsoft scanner, if you have it). One common issue is a faulty brake vacuum sensor (cheap and easy fix).

But firstly take the car for a long drive (or better still, use a trickle charge) to fully charge the two batteries.
I had the same problem...turn on the key, all dash lights and Green ECO switch on. Start the engine, all dash light's off inc. green ECO switch light. Not normal behaviour, but now after doing a iCarsoft scan, which not show any codes, after driving it for a bit ( good bit ) its back to normal operation again. So its an electric's issue !!! But its a strange fault, the car start's perfectly every time..no hesitation, so the battery has to be up to standard, and yet a slight variation in voltage, triggers an ECO fault? Strange.

I had the same problem...turn on the key, all dash lights and Green ECO switch on. Start the engine, all dash light's off inc. green ECO switch light. Not normal behaviour, but now after doing a iCarsoft scan, which not show any codes, after driving it for a bit ( good bit ) its back to normal operation again. So its an electric's issue !!! But its a strange fault, the car start's perfectly every time..no hesitation, so the battery has to be up to standard, and yet a slight variation in voltage, triggers an ECO fault? Strange.
I had a similar issue with my R172 when I first purchased it from a private seller. The seller had claimed that Start/Stop was erratic and stopped working shortly before he put the car up for sale.

The car starts and runs perfectly except for the Start-Stop function. I took a chance and replaced the Aux Battery and the Start-Stop function was immediately restored.

I had a similar issue with my R172 when I first purchased it from a private seller. The seller had claimed that Start/Stop was erratic and stopped working shortly before he put the car up for sale.

The car starts and runs perfectly except for the Start-Stop function. I took a chance and replaced the Aux Battery and the Start-Stop function was immediately restored.
I only have the car a few months, but on the test drive, the aux battery red light warning came on, so the battery was replaced before I picked it up from the dealership. ut maybe its the main battery? Anyway, its fine after driving it , so I'll leave well enough alone. When the main battery goes, or it develops more niggling electrical gremlins, I'll replace it then.

just an update the issue has been happening everyday now and the car was slow to start yesterday so I put on a new battery today I bought one from Halfords one of there own branded ones which I think are yuasa rebranded with 5 year guarantee.

just an update the issue has been happening everyday now and the car was slow to start yesterday so I put on a new battery today I bought one from Halfords one of there own branded ones which I think are yuasa rebranded with 5 year guarantee.
And the problem has been cured ?

So has this fixed the issue?

I read a recent article that said the Halfords 5 year guarantee batteries are made by the same company that makes Varta batteries, but although the warranty is the same, I don't think they are just re-brands. There are differences.

What makes you think it is made for Halford by Yuasa? I am not suggesting it isn't, but I would be interested to know who Halfords order their batteries from.

So has this fixed the issue?

I read a recent article that said the Halfords 5 year guarantee batteries are made by the same company that makes Varta batteries, but although the warranty is the same, I don't think they are just re-brands. There are differences.
Varta and Bosch batteries used to be made by Johnson Controls, not sure if that's still the case though.

EDIT: They have a new owner, it seems:

Last edited:
OK, it's actually on Halfords' website:

The visual comparison obviously helps, for those who can't read... :doh:

well so far it is ok its quite cold here this morning and its my first day back at work and started on the button and the ECO symbol stayed on and turned green after a couple of minutes then i turned it off, and i was only going by what i read about halfords batteries being made by yuasa but even so a 5 year guarantee is ok and the specs were the same as the one that came off .

When you figure out the problem, let us know.
Mine has never worked since 2015 when I purchased it - C204 350.
Same issue, the eco turns off completely.
Mercedes couldn't fix it, indy couldn't fix it, new aux made no difference, new main battery didn't help either although it seemed to happen more often before...
Maybe 80% before and now 50%

I even bought an iCarsoft but ther are no menus or data on the eco system.

Straight after the main has been charged either by driving the car then switching on/off or straight of a charger it will normally work ok for a few miles but soon reverts to switching off completely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom