Eco start: is it bad for the turbo or engine in the c43 AMG 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peterk75

Car
C43 AMG 2016
I have been told that the Eco/auto stop/start is it bad for the turbo in the c43 AMG 2016. Does anybody have an informed opinion on that? I have been advised to turn it off, which I have to do every time I start the car.

First thing I do is switch off the stop start. I know the head technician at Bentley up here in Glasgow and he also said turn it off straight away, it’s not good for the starter, injectors, turbo etc. I’d probably listen to his advice.

Can stop start be “mapped out” ? Often wondered that

Whether or not its bad for hardware, it is a pain in the bum when wanting to get away quickly from junctions. Its only then I remember I should have turned it off, but its too late then and I have to wait for the next gap.
I thought there were little devices you could leave plugged into the ODB that automatically turned it off every cold start. If they don't exist, I need to look into it!

So turn it off it is. Thank you very much. If anybody finds a way to deactivate it as default that would be great

Can stop start be “mapped out” ? Often wondered that
Stop start can be coded out. Unfotunately it looks like you can't code it out yourself so have to pay. I coded S/S out on my current vehicle via an app, so easy even for a technophobe like myself.

I've always believed that start/stop knocks hell out of your vehicle ... All your mechanical systems.
Fortunately our two MB cars are of a gentler age when that sort of device would have been seen as ridiculous.

1st thing I switch off on start up followed by the exhaust valve's open 😁

I normally turn mine off first thing after starting.

It is only a push of the button so not too much work really.

The odd time I do keep it on the reaction time from pushing the go pedal is extremely swift.

Robin

It is obviously not about the level of work. More about remembering to do it. I guess it will become an OCD in no time. Of course a “change defaults” section in the control system would make the most sense. At least it wasn’t designed by apple. Then we would have to use Mercedes’ petrol and every year they would release a new software update that would make our cars slower😉 enjoy, be safe and thanks again for the input. Most helpful

I have discovered on mine that it is possible to press the brake just a little bit, enough to hold the car but not enough to trigger the stop-start. Its a bit of a game. Use the brakes to slow down as normal but reduce the pressure on the brake as you get slow, so that when you actually stop, the brake is only pushed a bit. Stop-start defeated! (Feel the car -- be the car!)

Just my opinion but, I can't see a major manufacturer knowingly putting a system into their car that will accelerate wear and tear on crucial components.

I've owned numerous cars with S/S functionality, never had a problem with any of them, no additional wear and tear, no problems with components related to it etc. These cars are built to handle the additional stresses and have uprated (and in some cases, additional components) to cope.

I would much rather have S/S than not these days, particularly if i'm in stop/start traffic - may as well be saving a bit of fuel/money where possible, instead of burning it needlessly when stationary.

DrNick: That sounds like more work than turning it off🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 that said, I’m absolutely going to give it try.😁 any more fun games we should know about?

Just my opinion but, I can't see a major manufacturer knowingly putting a system into their car that will accelerate wear and tear on crucial components.

I've owned numerous cars with S/S functionality, never had a problem with any of them, no additional wear and tear, no problems with components related to it etc. These cars are built to handle the additional stresses and have uprated (and in some cases, additional components) to cope.

I would much rather have S/S than not these days, particularly if i'm in stop/start traffic - may as well be saving a bit of fuel/money where possible, instead of burning it needlessly when stationary.
I thought the same, which was why I asked the question originally. I would have ignored it but the original advice was given to me saying it is not good for the biturbo, not that it is an issue for the engine as a whole.

The SmartTop I installed in my car automatically disables Start/stop for me.....:).

I agree with @sgregory124 The engineers at MB know what they are doing, better materials, better quality control and tolerances etc... & I’m not worried about any mechanical issies related to stop start but it just irritates me (especially when edging into my garage) so I have it off. OTOH my wife has hers on all the time.

It has been around long enough for reports to be available of damage caused by the system & I have not seen any.

I have been told that the Eco/auto stop/start is it bad for the turbo in the c43 AMG 2016. Does anybody have an informed opinion on that? I have been advised to turn it off, which I have to do every time I start the car.
In the older turbos where they (ideally) needed to be cooled before switching off......it was probably not a good idea

Do you believe that MB would sell you a car that is going to destroy itself?

To answer your question, it will do the car no harm. It has been designed to cope with stop/start. I believe the engineers at BMW, MB, VAG etc etc know more than we do about designing engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom