ECO stop/start - has anyone experienced this issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SA.ML250

Car
Mercedes-Benz M Class 2.0 ML250 CDI BlueTEC Special Edition 5dr
Hi Guys

So we're still getting used to the new car (picked her up on Saturday) and so far so good (except the annoying rattle from the passenger seat which I can't get to the bottom of!).

I wanted to ask a question regarding the ECO stop/start system. When I start the car, the ECO button straight away automatically goes green. This is the case on every start up, without fail.

However, when I approach the end of our road and break, the 'stop' kicks in and one would expect that only when I press the accelerator it would start again - right?

Well, no.. despite my foot being planted on the brake, within 2 seconds the car starts up again (whilst my foot is still on the break!) and then the ECO button switches itself off. Even if I try to switch it on manually it doesn't go green.

Is there a glitch here?

I've done some reading and everyone states that the start/stop system is a bit random because it only kicks in when the oil is at a certain temperature, which if that happened to me would be fine and explainable, however my concern is that it switches on as soon as the car starts yet has this issue on the first stop..

Hopefully there's not an issue with our car?!

If anyone can shed any light that would be great.

Many thanks

Suraj

I would say the Eco button going green at every start up is unusual behaviour, not happened on any of mine or the loaners I have had.

This time of year stop/start is quite erratic there are lots of parameters it need to work effectively.

The Eco light should only go out completely if you have physically switched it off.

Sometimes when I arrive home and the light is green I stop apply parking brake, the car switches off immediately and then almost straight away restarts.

TBH it's not something that I will worry about unless it keeps doing this in the warmer weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say the Eco button going green at every start up is unusual behaviour, not happened on any of mine or the loaners I have had.

Well, my Eco button does start at green, and is always green at every start up, I've always assumed that is how it should be. I often turn mine off, ie. when creeping along in stop start traffic, but once parked, and back in its on, unless I turn it off. On occasions when I sit at lights and its stopped the engine on the green button, by pressing the button still with foot on brake, the engine starts and the light stays off for remainder of journey, I think that is how it should be.I would say the op's is incorrect and needs to be looked at.

Last edited:
When you say ECO button, do you mean the physical button on the dashboard? That should come on when you start the car up. There should then also be an ECO sign on the cluster which is most likely Orange. It is only when this is Green does the ECO system become active.

Green Dash light and amber cluster ECO is system on but not active
Green Dash Light and green cluster ECO is system on and active
No Green Dash light and no cluster ECO is system off

The only way that the green light on the dash should go off, is if you physical switch it off, or there is a fault and it has shut down. By pressing the button whilst the pedal is down, you are effectively turning the system off, so the car will restart as the ECO mode is disabled at that point until it is manually started by another press of the button, or the ignition is restarted.

If the system cuts in (engine stops) then it will restart under one of 3 circumstances:
1. You lift your foot off of the brake onto the accelerator
2. You do something that means that it needs more power (e.g move the steering wheel which kicks in the power steering).
3. The system detects it is not optimal (doesn't have enough reserve power) and starts the engine to charge up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom