ECO Stop/Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael100

Car
C200 AMG Line Premium Plus (2015)
I've searched a lot of threads and it looks like the ECO stop/start cannot be disabled other than each & every time one starts the engine via the console button. That's how it is on my C class, even after switching off the engine for only a couple of minutes.

It's a real pain e.g. when parking, the engine cuts as I switch between forwards & reverse. Would be nice if I could _enable_ when I want it; via the console button.

Anyway, if it's un-switchoffeable what is this menu screen for? It's not explained in the manual. It shows Off when the console switch is on/green so what is it??

g2Gcp1Z.jpg

Thanks!
-Michael

Is there not a button by the centre console jog wheel marked A with a arrow around it that disables the stop start function on the w205

The manual that came with my 2013 W204 says that the car will always start with ECO mode enabled. So on my car it can't be done. I have to manually disable it every time I start the engine. Hopefully on your W205 it is possible to set the car to default to ECO Off. Good luck...

On mine If I've set off with it switched on, then stop and the engine cuts out, by pressing the button the engine will restart, and the eco remain off for the rest of that journey. I normally just switch it off at the start, and don't see it as a nuisance.

That's annoying to hear

I think I'll stick to the older cars... don't think I could tolerate start stop

Imagine someone letting you turn etc, and your car has switched off :D

Seems like some operate differently.

Mine is an S212 and if switched off via the button in dash it stays off for the entirety of the journey.

Defaults to on once engine is switched off, mine is not keyless ignition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's annoying to hear

I think I'll stick to the older cars... don't think I could tolerate start stop

Imagine someone letting you turn etc, and your car has switched off :D

No, normally if its On, you stop at lights or to make a turn, and your foot is on the brake, as you release the foot brake, even before your foot hits the accelerator, the engine starts, its that quick. In my original post, if , its not disabled at the start of your trip and you stop, the engine stops, but while still stopped with foot on brake press the button, the car fires up, still with foot on brake, and eco is then disabled for rest of trip. Therefore you don't need to be moving to switch it off, which is good, I think. Hope that makes more sense. :thumb:

I've read a few similar threads before but honestly don't see the problem with the eco stop/start. Admittedly it took some getting used to when I got my car, but it is so quick to restart, it's never caused me a problem with getting out into traffic, for example.
I really haven't had any problems with using the system.

I had a manual C220 with stop/start, and really liked it, as it didn't operate while the clutch was disengaged, or the clutch pedal pressed, even in neutral. In that way it was completely controllable, particularly in bumper to bumper traffic

But on a couple of occasions I had an automatic courtesy car, and I just couldn't get on with it at all. It may have just been those particular vehicles, but there was quite a delay, sometimes quite embarrassing, before the engine would restart, and then the car shot forward because in trying to speed up the starting process, I'd pressed the accelerator too much!

I would have liked to disable it fully, as I didn't have the cars long enough to get into the habit of switching it off as part of the initial start up procedure.

Last edited:
Yep it's a marmite option.

I've read a few similar threads before but honestly don't see the problem with the eco stop/start. Admittedly it took some getting used to when I got my car, but it is so quick to restart, it's never caused me a problem with getting out into traffic, for example.
I really haven't had any problems with using the system.
Completely agree. I honestly don't understand why people are so opposed to it when it works so seamlessly.

FWIW, on my W212 it automatically disables when I select reverse so it's never intrusive when shunting back and forth into a parking spot.

Hate it, and saves very little fuel IMO, the only useful time it comes on in VERY heavy standstill traffic is when I would manually turn it off anyway. The most energy intensive time and heaviest in terms of wear and tear on a ICE is during start-up therefore in my eyes it is a lot of wear and tear that would not occur in normal use. Also I bought a Mercedes as a refined quiet place to be in hectic journeys. Certainly don't want my tractor engine starting and stopping several times in the space of 100m just to save the manufacturers some coin on C02 bands. However if you have a lease car that you are returning after 3 years then crack on.

I have had ECO stop-start on an S212 and now W221 - it doesn't cause me a problem, but i will turn it off if I am waiting to come out of a junction, or traffic is moving in 25 yard increments.

However, found this on YouTube the other day, which may change my thinking and turn it off every time I start the car. Australian equivalent to Clarkson ?, but does make some interesting points in his videos.

https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE

I have stop/start (something I dislike intensely) on the Ypsilon. Fortunately, it's either broken or been disabled, as it's never worked since the day I picked the car up. Fine by me..

Cheers,

Gaz

...However, found this on YouTube the other day, which may change my thinking and turn it off every time I start the car. Australian equivalent to Clarkson ?, but does make some interesting points in his videos.

https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE

Fully agree with him.

I don't think Start/Stop has any negative effects, but it has no benefits (to the driver) either and it's a pain in the neck.

Said that... I suppose if everyone used this feature there would have been some reduction in both noise pollution and air pollution around busy city centres.

I wonder, what's the legal aspect to disabling Stop-Start?

I have stop-start in the Lexus but it's virtually imperceptible in operation. I suppose it's somewhat different in a hybrid as the engine is always stopping and starting. If it wasn't for the little icon in the cluster I doubt I'd know which form of motive power the car is using.

I wonder, what's the legal aspect to disabling Stop-Start?.

I think the issue might be that the official CO2 figures were obtained on the premise that Start/Stop was a feature that is enabled by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom