ECP - Bosch Batteris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If a battery was not vented it could cause the casing to crack and shower acid under pressure.

Normal and gentle charging should not cause any problems.

Most if not all modern cars have vents in the boot too. Though from what I understand this is principally for HVAC systems and to allow doors to close easily (cars too air tight will need the doors slamming), rather than battery venting.

My bad, Downgrading is something I've seen all too often - Sometimes people think they can save £50 by chucking a 063 in a 3litre diesel, and then wonder why,
a) The battery cooks from the over charge
b) the battery fails trying to turn over a massive diesel engine
The then walk back in, and expect to honour a warranty :crazy:

In you case, as you know - chucking a slightly more powerful battery is a fine :thumb:

In terms of batteries, We are working on a dedicated section,s o you can search batteries by their UK Ref - However im worried that the CONs of allowing this outweigh the PROs

If your looking for a big battery - the 019 is a chunky battery and packs a punch, you can search for it on the website by using the following links:

UK017 - (95AH)
Bosch BMW S3 Battery 017 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK
UK019 - (100 AH)
Bosch Audi S4 Battery 019 4 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK

How about a 100AH battery as this is what originated from the car?
Any linky links?
Cheers.
forget about that, got it there:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...afd893b806ffd4c301750b6301468441a9be66&000020

Last edited:
How about a 100AH battery as this is what originated from the car?
Any linky links?
Cheers.
forget about that, got it there:
Bosch Audi S5 Battery 019 5 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK

You know Olivier, you can phone the branch anytime and get advice/part number from us. You can use the part number on the click and collect and still get your 25% off. You must be due for some fuel filters soon anyway
icon7.gif

Sean....

Most if not all modern cars have vents in the boot too. Though from what I understand this is principally for HVAC systems and to allow doors to close easily (cars too air tight will need the doors slamming), rather than battery venting.

I don't think it's to allow the doors to close, but for general ventilation.

Bizarre as it may sound that someone can make a living from it......but I co-wrote some software to analyse and optimise cabin venting for door closing effort..........And people wonder why premium cars cost so much ;)

VW Beetle owners always quickly learned to drop the windows slightly before closing doors for this very reason .

Vents behind the rear bumpers in my W126 ensure a flow of air through the boot as well as the interior ; earlier models vented out behind the chrome trim on the C pillar .

You know Olivier, you can phone the branch anytime and get advice/part number from us. You can use the part number on the click and collect and still get your 25% off. You must be due for some fuel filters soon anyway
icon7.gif

Sean....

Hi Sean, Thank you :)
I am OK with filters, I have a new settling system now that make the oil much better and stop clogging the filters at a mad rate :crazy:.
But I might pop in some days soon as my batteries are not too good at all:
one sick battery is overheating when charging and the other sick one that I thought was 95Ah is only 88Ah ( poor bugger suffer last winter as under powered) , compare to the original who is 100Ah. This is not too good in winter knowing I loose 50% in the cold and on a sick battery 12Ah less then needed...
Hope you are all OK :)
All the best.
Olivier

Bizarre as it may sound that someone can make a living from it......but I co-wrote some software to analyse and optimise cabin venting for door closing effort..........And people wonder why premium cars cost so much ;)

But why position the vents in a low pressure area at the rear then, why not just use the hearer intake in reverse?

oops..wrong thread somehow..

I'm not saying the boot vents aren't for the HVAC system, but just that their size is in part dictated by the requirement for door closing effort.

From what I've seen these boot vents are larger than the intake vents and both a lot larger than the natural body air leakage due to panel gaps, so they are easier to tune to satisfy both requirements.

Pretty sure they can give off hydrogen sulphide if damaged, and that is poisonous

cheers

Not sure why damaging them would cause hydrogen sulphide to be released? yes it is an extremely toxic compound and comparible to hydrogen cyanide in toxicity as it forms bonds with iron preventing respiration processes occuring. it is also heavier than air and has the classical rotten eggs smell. When charging a lead acid battery you should get the following reaction(s):

At the anode: PbSO4(s) + H+(aq) + 2e− → Pb(s) + HSO-4(aq)

and at the cathode: PbSO4(s) + 2H2O(l) → PbO2(s) + HSO−4(aq) + 3H+(aq) + 2e−

Hydrogen sulphide should not be produced.

Last edited:
Is there a technical reason why 096 format batteries do not exceed 77Ah, or is there simply no demand for higher capacity batteries in this size?

Thanks.

Is there a technical reason why 096 format batteries do not exceed 77Ah, or is there simply no demand for higher capacity batteries in this size?

Thanks.

Well there is a relationship between the amount of lead / acid and associated complexes in a battery and the amount of electro-chemical charge that can be stored.

well i wish i had seen this thread yesterday, got into car last night switched the ignition and click click click battery dead, its an mercedes 019, manufactured in 2004.

today i replaced the serpentine belt, as it was squeaking and also bought a bosch096 from ECP , as couldnt find an 019 listed for the merc on the ecp website ..a very very good price too with the club discount,

if i could have upgraded it to 100ah i would have, not even fitted it as yet..maybe i should pop back n upgrade to an 019 if peeps think its worth it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom