ECP Brake pad warranty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

melhook

Car
E270
Would like some advice please, I am now on my second set of Pagid brake pads. When I bought the car the front pads had been replaced recently along with the discs, after a while they began to squeak and creak, I stripped them down and cleaned them. ( Previous grease-monkey had used copper grease )
The noise stopped for a while but then came back.
I decided to renew the pads even though they weren't worn out.
Now after a few thousand miles they are creaking again, along with a slight squeak intermittently.
I'm not sure these Pagid pads are ideal for the W211 E270 auto.
Would like ECP 's thoughts on this matter as the brake noises are driving me crazy !

All the Pagid pads I've used have had an anti squeal backing already, so only needed slight lubrication on the sides of the pads, which is the only part that moves against the caliper anyway. Copper grease is fine for this, but Cera Tec is very cheap and worth trying.

It maybe that the caliper needs a good clean to allow proper clearance? a good wire brushing and a can of brake part cleaner might be useful.

Do your calipers have an anti rattle spring and guide pins for the pads? these parts seem to be sold as a "Fitting kit" and could also be a cause of noise if the old ones were reused. Lightly greasing the guide pins with cera tec might cure the problem.

If the pads were an especially tight fit in the caliper, surely you would have noticed at the time of fitting? if that was the case, maybe a few passes with a metal file on the sides would trim them enough to cure the problem.

I can also say we use lots of Pagid pads across all makes and models and hardly have issues.

Thanks for replies.
Calipers were fully cleaned, guide pins removed,cleaned and lubed.
Anti-rattle springs were renewed.
Pads fitted fine. When cooper grease was yes before it made the noise worse, so this time they were fitted dry.

Would like some feedback from ECP please as to the best course of action.

Are your discs lipped? Are they under the min wear limit?

Try some Ceratek. Cera-Tec Brake Lube 75ml | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Retailer Unlubricated pads will always squeal a bit. At this time of year there's lots of salt water and grit around to remove any lubrication after a few thousand miles - driving through standing water at any speed is the equivalent of directing a power washer at the brakes. Groaning at low speed is often an indication of localised corrosion on the disc surface sometimes caused by a film of moisture between the disc and pad when the car sits parked up overnight .

I got a set of Pagid pads last time round for my W126 as it was all ECP had in stock when I called . I took them as I thought they were a reputable brand , although I normally only fit ATE with which I have never had problems .

After a while , I too was experiencing squeal and juddering with the Pagid pads fitted . To be fair the front discs are showing some wear , but not excessively so .

I now have a full set of ATE discs and pads to put on once this winter weather is past ( I work on the driveway ) , along with new backing plates and wheel bearings .

Hi guys,

issues with Pagid friction material is less than 1 in 10,000 so i doubt thats the issue -

Just to check these are brand new pads on existing discs?

If so, how old are there discs (miles)
is there any lipping on the discs?
does it do it at all speeds and loads?

Squeal can normally be caused by 2 basic issues - friction material (gasses escaping) or back plate (not lubricated correctly)

I would suggest taking them apart, cleaning them up and ensuring they are lubricated well using Cera Tec

If they continue to make a noise, they are covered under the standard 12 month warranty, where they will be replaced FOC, however its worth checking the discs in more detail.

Pat

In my case , yes , these were replacement front pads onto existing discs .

The discs have been on the car since before I bought it , and I have covered circa 80K on them ; there is no visible lipping although clearly with that mileage there must be some wear . I did replace the rear discs/pads/ handbrake shoes after purchasing the car four years ago , but did not change the front discs at the time since they looked fine .

I had previously fitted ATE pads to this car , and to many other Mercedes cars without issue . The previous pads had been fitted a year or two before and will have lasted 30-40K .

On fitting the Pagid pads ( I normally clean up the callipers with a wire brush but do not apply lubricant - this has always been fine with ATE ) they were fine for a short while but then began to squeal under light application , and to judder just before coming to a halt .

As stated , I am about to do a full brake and suspension overhaul on the car this summer so will simply be going back to ATE , with which I do not anticipate any problems .

I am not concerned about warranty on a set of brake pads since they still stop the car and the noise/juddering is quite a minor issue which does not happen all the time ; I merely mentioned it in support of the OP and will just put it down to experience , going back to my preferred brand next time round .

Hi, been away hence lack of reply.
The discs are in good condition, the pads are brand new, the noise is more of a creak. I can reproduce the noise stationary. I worked on Jaguars for 13 years so am fairly confident it's not an installation issue.

The old pads I tried some ' wurth ' anti squeal grease from my Audi tech friend. This made the noise even worse.

On fitting the new pads everything was clean and dry. A small amount of grease was.applied the pads where they sit in the caliper carrier.
The noise is pad moving/sliding in the caliper.
It getting very annoying and I'm getting funny looks from people.

What's the best thing for me to do next EuroCarParts ?

Only other thing I can think of is if the calipers are of the floating/ sliding type it might be worth checking the caliper pins for wear and adequate lubrication.

Caliper pins removed, cleaned and lubricated already made no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom