ECP Competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kemsing

Car
C220 Cdi
What happened to the competition where you asked ECP a service question and every two weeks there was going to be a draw for a prize?
I asked a general interest question on fitting new brake pads....but nothing!!
Sean.

I think Patrick from ECP was going to get the Pagid rep to answer the top 6 interesting questions put forward in an e-mail. Perhaps yours wasn't picked?
Why not ask it here?

Hi Sean,

All 110 questions were sent to Pagid, and they choosen the best 6 - I posted the answers in the original thread below.

I believe 2 of the questions were from this very forum, and both the original 'question askers' have been in contact to arrange their goodie bag.

I think everybody liked it, so next week we'll be launching another - either Oil Questions (answered by the Shell Oil UK Team) OR Upgrade Suspension questions (answered by the team from H&R)

What would you all prefer?

Patrick

Oil; can I use the waste from my engine to fry chips?
You can certainly do this. The quality of the chip will improve if you use new engine oil.

Brake question.

I think Patrick from ECP was going to get the Pagid rep to answer the top 6 interesting questions put forward in an e-mail. Perhaps yours wasn't picked?
Why not ask it here?

When replacing brake pads, why is it suggested you replace the calliper mounting bolts? I have cleaned the bolts and used fresh blue loctite in the past with no problems.
Sean.

On the basis that oil queries seem to occur more often and that suspension mods are very particular to each model, I would nominate the OIL QUESTIONS to the Shell guys.

I've heard you get a better quality chip when using a fully synthetic oil - by using old oil you risk poor quality chips will unusual flavours! (Sorry had to join in!)

I think oil questions, it is! - I want some interesting ones, so I hope the MB team can help!

Now I’m confused
So is it Dripping for lubrication and Lard for fuel or is it the other way around

Right here's my question to kick things off.
Why is it important to use a low SAPS (low sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur) oil in diesel engined cars with a DPF ( diesel particulate filter)? As an example for Mercedes this would have to meet MB 229.31 and MB 229.51 standards.

Last edited:
Here's another one.

What mileage interval would be recommended, purely in the pursuit of engine longevity and all-round 'good health' (i.e. from a mechanical perspective only), assuming a typical or average usage profile, and setting aside any cost issues and commercial influences/self-interest?

I have to hold my hands up and confess I am one of the happy recipients [ just today] of a "goody bag" courtesy of Pagid for my recent entry.:rock: Thanks to Patrick and guys at Pagid.:thumb: So get posting - doesn't have to be desperately technical- just a question that has puzzled you about oil in the past. If it caused you to wrinkle your brow it may well have done the same to lots of others??

If MB spec says to use oil approved to 229.3 or 229.5, is it ok to use oil approved to 229.31 or 229.51 respectivley? i.e. are the later spec oils backwardly compatable?

For completeness, would the same be true the other way round?

Excellent, thanks.

What did I win?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom