ECP oil sale, will this work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I see ECP are having a clear out of oil & wondered if this would work on a 1998 W202 C250 TD auto, OM605?

It's a very good price, £29.99 for 20 litres!

Valvoline Durablend 10w40 - 20ltr

521770465.jpg

Valvoline Durablend 10w40 - 20ltrPart No.: 521770465 List Price £101.44
Was £88.99
Now £29.99 Save 66%

DuraBlend 10W-40 - DuraBlend - Valvoline
Approvals/Performance levels
SAE 10W-40
API: SN, CF
ACEA: A3/B4-12
MB-229.3
VW 502.00/505.00
Renault RN0700/0710
Recommended for use where
Fiat 9.55535.G2 or D2 is specified.

Thanks grober,

Just found this -http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng - which says it's fine too.

Last edited:
Valvoline site says "Change 15000 km / 12 months".

"Synthetic Blend" = Semi-Synthetic = Mineral base oil with synthetic additives. Doesn't mean it's no good, and the spec looks good, but it's not fully synthetic.

It's a better spec than GTX 10/40, which is what I put in my bikes, and if I needed some oil for them I'd buy it; it's a very very good price.

That interval is way too long if running bioNiesel.

I've heard people say that but never really seen anything to support it. Urban myth?

The service indicator on my car still lights up at about the same mileage as when it was run on dino.

I've heard people say that but never really seen anything to support it. Urban myth?

The service indicator on my car still lights up at about the same mileage as when it was run on dino.

I think it's a preventative measure against polymerisation occuring, which is less of an issue with decent injectors.

Good video :thumb:

If you are prepared to buy the Amsoil line....

The real reason for semi-synthetics is not as nefariously claimed by the Amsoil guy but because it was realised early on that 100% synthetics lack the solubility that mineral oils possess. Solubility that is essential for combining additive packages to the base oil. Pure synthetics are limited in their ability to accept and retain the varied additive packages that are required in an engine oil. Hence the blending of mineral oils to give some measure of solubility.

That video probably plays on the problems car owners in the USA had when car manufacturers first introduced extended service intervals. These relied on using proper fully synthetic oils which were capable of staying " in grade" for the extra mileage. These were of course expensive and many owners tried to cut costs by using conventional or blended oils without suitable modification of the service interval---- result----- a lot of broken engines. While he mentions a lack of blended oil certification with respect to oil performance sticking to Mercedes recommended oils [ bevo listed] and the recommended service interval should pose the owner no problem. I reckon 6-7.5 K miles on a reputable semi- synthetic is fine. Interesting he should allude to the notorious case in the USA where a manufacturer managed to get away with calling their oil " synthetic" when it was in fact a cracked mineral oil rather than a totally synthesised product--- the company-----our own BP owned Burma-Castrol!
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Beware-of-the-labelling.pdf

The great hope when synthetics were introduced was that they would dramatically extend drain intervals due to the synthetic's (perceived) oxidation resistance. It was soon found that it was impossible to combine the required additive packages in quantities compatible with extended drain intervals.

'Staying in grade' with multigrade oils is all about an additive package, namely viscosity improvers - which as an additive require that the base oil be capable of accepting and retaining it. Not synthetic's strength....
When the viscosity improvers break down (and they do as they are long chain polymers that get cut up by geartrains, cam drives, etc) all that is left at high temp is the thin oil of the W rating. Thus having lost the upper temperature (thicker) viscosity, the oil is 'out of grade'.

I went and bought some just. When I got home I noticed on the label it says MB 229.1.

Not too fussed as I will change it every 6000 miles but am interested to know if it truly meets the .3 spec

The Durablend Diesel 10W40 spec is actually 229.1 rather than the standard Durablend 10w40 which is 229.3 presumably due to extra detergents to mop up acids fuel and soot from diesel "blowby" from the higher compression ratios.:dk:

Picked this up today & as mattc says, it is 229.1

33ykl7r.jpg

fjjor4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom