ECU 'chipped'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
As you may have read on another thread I have been trying to get my car 'chipped'. I have already tried several companies who basically said I have the wrong type of ECU to be chipped.:confused:

Thanks to Koolvin for pointing me towards Upsolute , I have been in touch with Upsolute and one of their UK dealers. At first their was a little confusion as my Bosch ECU is the same as used in a CLK230 and C230K. But obviously my C180 hasn't got a supercharger so the fuel, ignition and boost mapping would be different.:crazy:

After several conversations it was established that my ECU is able to be reprogrammed. The ECU has to be removed and the engine management data and mapping has to be downloaded from the ECU and e-mailed to Upsolute who analyse the data and write a new program specifically for my car. The process takes 2-3 hours including a rolling road test before and after so that I can be sure something has been done.

Upsolute claim they can easily get an extra 14-16bhp from my car and also improve drivability, smoothness and power delivery. As a bonus if the car is driven sensibly you can expect to increase MPG by around 10%, and of course it is all covered by a warranty.

In case you were wondering, the process is totally transparent in that MB diagnostics or anybody else will not be able to tell it has been done. Car specific ID data from the ECU is copied from the old ECU program, the old data is kept as a backup in case I ever want it changed back.

I am booked in to see Impossible Performance at Rochester on Thursday afternoon, I will let you know how it goes.;)

Excellent! I've done it with my diesel (which is different, 'cos its got a turbo) and it made a massive difference, but people didn't understand when I had my Corrado done what a difference it does make.

I found the car much more responsive and torquier, I had it done to run on unleaded, B4 was 138bhp - afterwards was 146bhp on lower octane fuel and the torque curve was much improved.

Hope yours has a similar result!:D

R

I am extremely interested in this.

I did a lot of calling about myself when I had the C200.

I am sure I got quoted about £600 from Impossible Performance for an equally impressive sounding BHP increase. 14-16 HP increse does sound a lot for a normally aspirated engine.

May I ask how much?

I have to say if all goes well for you, I fancy 232 BHP and 237 ft/lb torque myself :D

Oooh, better start asking how much this will hike my insurance as I am getting quotes :(

WOW, I have been reading about chiptuning for my sluggish C180 too. And I got a web link at http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenblatt-e/mercedes-c180.html showing that it is highly possible to increase the power by 8-12 hp. BUT way too expensive !!

Jimmy, how much do you have to pay ? Is Upsolute able to server customer from other part of the world (from Singapore / Malaysia) ? Care to check it out for me ?

The power hungry one....

good luck with the chip today m8!

good luck with the chip today m8!

I am not convinced at their claims tbh.

with the turbo I only got a 40BHP increase so far. (wait till the 11th ;) )

I would like to see the power graph before 'chip' and after 'chip'!

TDI do a piggy back 'Unichip' ECU that is for £700

Originally posted by Koolvin

TDI do a piggy back 'Unichip' ECU that is for £700

Well done for reminding me.

It was a place in Kent, but it was a Unichip through TDI, not Upsolute.

Maybe Upsolute aren't as expensive?

Come on Jimmy, tell us how much?

First the bad news.:( I can't go today as one of my drivers has gone AWOL and left me right in the poo!!! Trying to re-book for very early Friday morning.

I too am a bit dubious of the claims but I am willing to give it a go, if I am not happy I will get my money back.;)

In order to prove to myself and you lot that I have not wasted my money I shall be having a rolling road test before and after. I will post the results here.

As far as insurance is concerned they were not bothered as it only a little more than a 10% increase in power, a C200 would not be any more to insure than a C180 and the power difference is about the same, although I am hoping my chipped C180 will be more powerful than a stock C200.:cool: Anyway how would the insurance company ever find out? :devil: it cant be seen or detected by a computer.:rolleyes:

No secret about the cost, it is £265 inc fitting and VAT or £295 with rolling road reports.

Upsolute will be programming my ECU individually, specifically for my car based on the current data stored in the chip, it is not an 'off the shelf' plug'n'play type chip for my car. This is why they expect to see 14-16bhp rather than the normal 10% for naturally aspirated engines.

With my K&N filter and possibly an exhaust upgrade at a later date I could see possibly see a 20bhp gain in total.:D .

I reckon it is good value for money and those of you with bigger engines and even a kompressor will see even more power gains. But knowing my luck I will get all the way down to Rochester and will be told it can't be done or already has been done, it wouldn't surprise me as it is no slouch by any means as it is.:D

Originally posted by jimmy

As far as insurance is concerned they were not bothered as it only a little more than a 10% increase in power, a C200 would not be any more to insure than a C180 and the power difference is about the same, although I am hoping my chipped C180 will be more powerful than a stock C200.:cool: Anyway how would the insurance company ever find out? :devil: it cant be seen or detected by a computer.:rolleyes:

No secret about the cost, it is Cor £295 with rolling road reports.

filter and possibly an exhaust upgrade at a later date I could see possibly see a 20bhp gain in total.:D .

Sorry to hear your delay.

If I can get to 232BHp for £295, try and stop me!

See you there eh Shude?

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
If I can get to 232BHp for £295, try and stop me!

See you there eh Shude?

This is what I'd like to do:

Move the MAS, change the fuel pressure regulator and change the plugs for colder ones, swap the pulley for one that's 10% or 15% larger and THEN get the chip and rolling road check. When combined with the slightly larger bore exhaust and air filter hopefully the poor engine would be pushed up to around the 240bhp mark, and more importantly the torque up to about 250 ft/lb .

That'll really help me in the ice, I'm sure... :rolleyes:

Doh! can't do it tomorrow.

I am booked in again for Tuesday morning. I am going to make sure nothing stops me getting there this time!!

Dave,

Upsolute have a couple of UK dealers. The one I am going to in Rochester is Impossible Performance their address is on the High Street, I have been speaking to Michael, he is very helpful and knows (or sounds like he knows) what he is talking about. It sounds like he can modify cars and engines as to the customers requirements.

We shall see on Tuesday:rolleyes: .

Originally posted by Mark300SL
I might take tuesday off ;)

Mark

Are you thinking about a GTG mark?

You are quite welcome to come along if you want.;) In fact, does anybody else want to come along or meet up at some point, I don't get down that way very often (at all).

im booked into Power Engineering on the 11th!!

I've just been told I have to do an wireless installation at a customers site on Tuesday - In Northampton !!!

The world really is a small place !

Vinay - If I can get it finished quick enough - I'll go back via the M1 and try to pop into PE on the way home :)

Really depends on what time I get finished though - PE in the rush hour wont be a nice place to be !

Mark

Jimmy, why don't you become a Upsolute re-seller?

Originally posted by Koolvin
Jimmy, why don't you become a Upsolute re-seller?

Yes, somewhere closer than Kent would be good :D

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Yes, somewhere closer than Kent would be good :D

pah Kent is 5 minutes down the road from you! When I get upsoluted I will have to do about 700 miles round trip! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom