ECU remap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattboocock

Car
2013 Merc CLS 350 CDI Blue Efficiency
Afternoon all,

apologies is already discussed on here...

i have a 2013 CLS 350 CDI. Can anyone recommend an ECU remap or chip tune etc ? Been quoted a 35bhp gain & 60nm torque. Does it Screw the ECU as the dealer warned me not to do such a thing as it screws them and you constantly have an engine management light on. And also invalidate the warranty! I have 3 mths left of the warranty!!

Sounds like the dealer is trying to scare you off. A decent remap by a reputable company on an otherwise healthy engine should be okay.

I have an MSL remap on my 2013 CLS SB. 322 hp and 710 nm, and the dyno chart to prove it.

I have an MSL remap on my 2013 CLS SB. 322 hp and 710 nm, and the dyno chart to prove it.
Wow! Great figures... and that was on the 350 CDI engine? That must be a massive difference in the drive !!?? No issues with engine warning lights?? Do you mind me asking how much? I’ve been quoted £250-£499 so far by different places near me in Notts.

Yes, it is an OM642 350 CDI. I had a 2014 350 CDI with the same engine, and a TDI Tuning box on it. They claimed the same max torque and bhp figures as MSL, but the 2014 was a bit disappointing; the MSL-tuned car isn't.

No issues at all with the car, and the mid-range torque is particularly impressive. I think MSL charge something like £495 now, but a previous owner had it done, so it cost me nothing.

Afternoon all,

apologies is already discussed on here...

i have a 2013 CLS 350 CDI. Can anyone recommend an ECU remap or chip tune etc ? Been quoted a 35bhp gain & 60nm torque. Does it Screw the ECU as the dealer warned me not to do such a thing as it screws them and you constantly have an engine management light on. And also invalidate the warranty! I have 3 mths left of the warranty!!

The dealer is right, in the sense that an 'ECU remap' can mean very many things, and all of the above can happen. And I'm sure that they have seen more than one remapped car booked-in with EML and limp mode. There are just too many cowboys out there, sadly.

That said, a reputable remapped is a safe bet and won't cause any issues. I didn't get my car remapped at MSL as such, but from other dealings I had with them I can say that proprietor Acid is very honest man, and extremely good at what he does - highly recommended.

Never had any dealings with GAD directly so can't really comment.

As for the warranty... strictly speaking, the dealer should only refuse warranty claims in respect of engine faults that may have resulted from the remapping, but in practical terms it is best that you leave the remapping till after the warranty expires.

And, don't forget to notify your insurer, preferably before you get it done.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider, is that if your car is subject to the Dieselgate software update, and it wasn't done yet, then if you get the update done after remapping the car, the update will likely overwrite your new custom map.

So if the update is due, then either get it done before remapping the car, or don't get it done at all.

One other thing to consider, is that if your car is subject to the Dieselgate software update, and it wasn't done yet, then if you get the update done after remapping the car, the update will likely overwrite your new custom map.

So if the update is due, then either get it done before remapping the car, or don't get it done at all.
How do you find out if it is subject to the dieselgate ??

The dealer is right, in the sense that an 'ECU remap' can mean very many things, and all of the above can happen. And I'm sure that they have seen more than one remapped car booked-in with EML and limp mode. There are just too many cowboys out there, sadly.

That said, a reputable remapped is a safe bet and won't cause any issues. I didn't get my car remapped at MSL as such, but from other dealings I had with them I can say that proprietor Acid is very honest man, and extremely good at what he does - highly recommended.

Never had any dealings with GAD directly so can't really comment.

As for the warranty... strictly speaking, the dealer should only refuse warranty claims in respect of engine faults that may have resulted from the remapping, but in practical terms it is best that you leave the remapping till after the warranty expires.

And, don't forget to notify your insurer, preferably before you get it done.
Appreciate the help!!👍🏻

Yes, it is an OM642 350 CDI. I had a 2014 350 CDI with the same engine, and a TDI Tuning box on it. They claimed the same max torque and bhp figures as MSL, but the 2014 was a bit disappointing; the MSL-tuned car isn't.

No issues at all with the car, and the mid-range torque is particularly impressive. I think MSL charge something like £495 now, but a previous owner had it done, so it cost me nothing.
I was looking at the tuning chip but more and more people giving rave reviews about msl, so I’ve contacted them this morning and await their reply!

How do you find out if it is subject to the dieselgate ??

The DVLA site (where you check MOT history) will show if there's an outstanding recall for your car.

If nothing is showing, then either it was already done, or it was never needed, but either way it doesn't matter because in means that your remapping is 'safe'. Just make sure to inform the dealer when servicing the car that the engine has been remapped and they shouldn't upload any software updates to the ECU.

I was looking at the tuning chip but more and more people giving rave reviews about msl, so I’ve contacted them this morning and await their reply!

They don't actually do the tuning on dervs it's Big Fish Tuning !

MSL have contracted the actual mapping out to Big Fish, and their rolling road is used to set it up remotely after downloading. Big Fish Tuning is actually in the North-East, far from civilisation if not quite north of the Wall. Mind you, MSL are in Birmingham...

Regarding Dieselgate, I don't think 2013 models are affected. OP, the easiest way to find out is to put your reg into one of the ambulance-chaser ads promising untold riches if you have a diesel car from VAG or Mercedes. If they can't help, then there's no money in it for them, so your car is not part of it. ISTR it only affects 2015 and later cars.

Last edited:
Just had this back off MSL.

“Map and dyno on that vehicle comes in at £449 and carries gains of around 30-40 bhp and 50 lbs/ft of torque, further benefits of a remap include smoother faster gear changes, increased torque limiters and overall better drive-ability.

Alternatively map without dyno is £349, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.”

That would be thought of as minimums which some remapping companies do .

Then on the fictional side others publish outlandish figures ( probably inaccurate generous dyno ) to get the business.

My 250 CDI average is 50 Nm , place I went to quoted 65 Nm but I got 120 !

At least it's easier with what to expect with GAD as they publish the dyno graphs .

Mercedes E350 CDI B16KFG Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

Mercedes E350 CDI JO51BOW Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

Mercedes E350 CDI FY12TZL Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

Mercedes E350CDI DE12KNC Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

Mercedes E350 CDI LR60MUY Stg 1 Jpeg.jpg

Mercedes E350 CDI Stg 1.jpg

That would be thought of as minimums which some remapping companies do .

Then on the fictional side others publish outlandish figures ( probably inaccurate generous dyno ) to get the business.

My 250 CDI average is 50 Nm , place I went to quoted 65 Nm but I got 120 !

At least it's easier with what to expect with GAD as they publish the dyno graphs .

View attachment 113095

View attachment 113096

View attachment 113097

View attachment 113098

View attachment 113099

View attachment 113100
So basically it depends on each car? Some perform better than others, those figures are really amazing… But knowing my luck I’ll end up with the lowest possible! 🤣🤣

i’ll contact GAD and get a quote

I believe they are still in development of a Stage 2 800 Nm file .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom