ECU remaps - be aware...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually, Big Fish are one of the only in the UK that say that they CAN put the ECU back to pre-diesel emissions software update state. And then remap from there. Also, John @ Big Fish writes the maps for MSL in the first place, and used to work at the Birmingham branch (now in NE England). Did you go all the way up to (near) Newcastle to get your car remapped, and then again after the MB update?

Last time I spoke to Pip @ Big Fish, she said MSL Birmingham now had the capability of doing the 'roll back', too. Specifically the 'no 7th gear until 74mph' issue was annoying. I was thinking of getting it done to mine, probably @ Big Fish.

I was also going to ask them to leave it as it is and remap it, but see if they can get around the 7th gear issue - but maybe that wouldn't be wise.

My theory is that the software update creates more soot due to more use of the EGR valve, and therefore they have made it so that the car revs out more before you get to the usual (European) speed limit of 80MPH in order to try to burn off this soot and not clog the DPF. I don't think they considered that over here it's 70, and we'd 'never' get to 7th gear. That's my theory, anyway.

Also, GAD have recently done it for one customer too, documented on another UK MB forum.

However, I'm getting a bit confused about the timing of events. If you had the car tuned a few years ago, then had the MB software update, and then went back to the tuner and and they simply flashed the old map back onto your car - then yes, I would expect there to be issues.

I was also told by Pip at Big Fish that John could revert the software back, hence I sent it up there.
I paid the money and the work was done, unfortunately the software was the same and the following day it blew it's seals.
It was sent back up again and they told me they have never seen that software before and there is nothing they can do and can not revert it back to the pre Mercedes update.

I never did get to speak to John, he was always in a meeting, on holiday, had Covid, and lastly they were hacked and out of all the data they had it was only my files they could not get back.

I have spoken to Acid at MSL, 2 weeks ago, he told me he doesn't do diesels now...

The Indy that told me there was an update for the eco system was Avantgarde in BS22. They ended up replacing the oil seals and intake but the day after it was fixed it stank of smoke.
After having it for a day, they said 1 injector had leaked, cost would be £800 +

I took it else where, they said all injectors were fine, a turbo seal / pipe was not fitted correctly, showed me the pics, he had to strip it all out again - cost me another £400

Now I do not trust anyone !

MSL 2 hours ago posted a C350CDI on their instagram that they just mapped...

MSL 2 hours ago posted a C350CDI on their instagram that they just mapped...

Obviously didn't want to do mine then did they ! Guess it wasn't going to be a standard job and as stated they probably couldn't do it anyhow.
The update is stored on the ecu only - I am running a different ecu that has the pre Merc update software on it, last updated 2015.
7th gear works as it should.
Shame it can't just be copied into the other one...

Last edited:
Obviously didn't want to do mine then did they !
Well this thread will I hope have opened a few peoples eyes,the op has been given a good going over,one thing is certain you have to keep your cars away from MB with their emissions update,if I owned one of those cars I would use a indy for all the work be it servicing or repair work,along with many I have done small mileage this year,brought home to me by the service reminder on the dash saying I had eight weeks or 15,000 miles before a service,I am sure many may well rest the service interval and forget this years,but I will get mine done at a indy.

That's the problem an indi did the software update which is Mercedes Star Xentry .

And it was the emissions version which can mess things up .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the Indy for loosing the remap, I new there was a possibility.
Just wasn't told it incorporated the emmisions update.

I even spoke to Big Fish upfront to make sure they would be able to put it back on if it was overwritten...guess they didn't realise either

I think the indi just charges out a software update for everything claiming it'll fix things , nice little earner...

Mine was a throttle body fault , even if you replace the throttle body it's only adaption required , WTF was a software update going to do .

I think the indi just charges out a software update for everything claiming it'll fix things , nice little earner...

Mine was a throttle body fault , even if you replace the throttle body it's only adaption required , WTF was a software update going to do .
Mine was serviced at an Indy, it too got the update. I was told they connect the car up to the servers in Mercedes Germany as part of the service, and have no control over the updates. The servers just start to download what has been determined that the car requires.

Mine was serviced at an Indy, it too got the update. I was told they connect the car up to the servers in Mercedes Germany as part of the service, and have no control over the updates. The servers just start to download what has been determined that the car requires.
If you go for an ECU update via Xentry (or go into a Merc dealer for a service), this 'pass through' process is my understanding too

Car side must be different from commercial. There's no auto updates via xentry for any control units. You run a short test, get results from each control unit and if you want to carry out any software updates you manually have to go into each control unit and check for updates.

Car side must be different from commercial. There's no auto updates via xentry for any control units. You run a short test, get results from each control unit and if you want to carry out any software updates you manually have to go into each control unit and check for updates.

This is my experience as well.

This was not an auto update, I was told it would be done and I agreed to have it done as it would possibly fix an issue I had.
Would have been nice to see the update notes beforehand I guess.

The issue is I have lost my remap, no one wants to know. £600 down the drain.

This was not an auto update, I was told it would be done and I agreed to have it done as it would possibly fix an issue I had.
Would have been nice to see the update notes beforehand I guess.

The issue is I have lost my remap, no one wants to know. £600 down the drain.
It’s unfortunate that you’ve lost the tuned map but I believe it’s understandable that nobody can really help, and I suspect it’s something you might have to accept.

Even if they technically can, Mercedes won’t be able to help you as they’re being mandated to roll out the updates as part of their resolution to the emission issues.

Tuners won’t be able to help you because it seems undoing the emissions update is something that almost all tuners are saying cannot actually be (un)done.

The specific tuner’s ability to help will be limited for this reason, and if they could would probably charge because you requested your car be updated.

Perhaps a tuning box from the likes of Brabus might prevent this kind of issue happening because they don’t overwrite the cars standard map.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

It’s unfortunate that you’ve lost the tuned map but I believe it’s understandable that nobody can really help, and I suspect it’s something you might have to accept.

Even if they technically can, Mercedes won’t be able to help you as they’re being mandated to roll out the updates as part of their resolution to the emission issues.

Tuners won’t be able to help you because it seems undoing the emissions update is something that almost all tuners are saying cannot actually be (un)done.

The specific tuner’s ability to help will be limited for this reason, and if they could would probably charge because you requested your car be updated.

Perhaps a tuning box from the likes of Brabus might prevent this kind of issue happening because they don’t overwrite the cars standard map.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.
I specifically asked the tuner before I went ahead and had the update done...

Now I am just ignored...
Lesson learnt, don't trust anyone ever again.

I tune and rewrite ECU firmware myself for Ducatis/MV Agustas but don't have the equipment or knowledge to be doing anything on this kind of hardware.
If I told a customer I could do something, it would be because I could.

The latest issue (February/March) of Mercedes Enthusiast magazine is featuring the C207 E50 CDI on its 'Signature Tune' page . For those not familiar with this magazine, every issue devotes a page to the 'tune up' potential of MB's with expert advice on tyres/suspension/ brakes , engine etc.

It's not all encompassing but it points the owner in the right direction. Sadly a bit late for the OP but info is there for anyone else to take a look.

The latest issue (February/March) of Mercedes Enthusiast magazine is featuring the C207 E50 CDI on its 'Signature Tune' page . For those not familiar with this magazine, every issue devotes a page to the 'tune up' potential of MB's with expert advice on tyres/suspension/ brakes , engine etc.

It's not all encompassing but it points the owner in the right direction. Sadly a bit late for the OP but info is there for anyone else to take a look.
If I didn't want to go for an annual subscription, where might I buy said magazine? Tesco?

If I didn't want to go for an annual subscription, where might I buy said magazine? Tesco?
Local newsagents used to have it, though I haven't bought it in a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom