ECU upgrades for AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_cyp

MB Enthusiast
Car
Thinking of what to get next
As i posted in a different thread i had my ecu "upgraded" by mercedes performance but i dont seem to find any difference that b4.Infact it seems worse.

My question is i want it re done by A REPUTABLE company, can anyone advise/suggest a decent source.

Any body had there ecu remapped ifso by whom and are you feeling the difference.

TIA

Andy

DMS are probably the best, however for some AMG cars there is not much they can do. From speaking to AMG direct, you need 20 to 35 bhp extra to be able to 'feel' the difference, and that can be hard with the supercharged engines without a pulley upgrade.

At best throttle response can be improved and the speed limiter removed.

Birds also can do this.

Hope this helps, Matt.

Maff said:
DMS are probably the best, however for some AMG cars there is not much they can do. From speaking to AMG direct, you need 20 to 35 bhp extra to be able to 'feel' the difference, and that can be hard with the supercharged engines without a pulley upgrade.

At best throttle response can be improved and the speed limiter removed.

Birds also can do this.

Hope this helps, Matt.

Would love a chip & pulley upgrade, kleemann want 2.5k a fair bit on money that is, ive been used to paying 500/600 quid for my previous cars

Try talking to Sanspeed in Bexleyheath. They are a Superchip agent but do big time tuning. They did mine and everyone can feel the difference.

Must admit I would have thought that they'd need to do something really different to make an AMG feel noticabley different, coz isn't that the point of AMG in the first place that they've done most of that if not all already :crazy:

pammy said:
Must admit I would have thought that they'd need to do something really different to make an AMG feel noticabley different, coz isn't that the point of AMG in the first place that they've done most of that if not all already :crazy:

I agree - speed restricter removal is probably the only modding I would do if i had an AMG. I would not spend £2.5G on increasing performance of an AMG other than removing the speed restrictor.

pammy said:

You might not get much, especially as chipping a supercharged car is not like chipping a turbo charged car, but AMG's are still built to adhere to regulations and most importantly so that they meet the expectations of thier average customer.

For example, the gear change on any AMG is about as harsh as the slush setting on a BMW M series SMG. AMG do not percieve their customers as wanting this.

My point, there is always room for customisation for an "improvement" depending on your perception.

I don't think they can do much, but I recommend Birds becuase of their reputation or DMS. DMS are not cheap though and you may be looking at 4 figures just for a remap.

slightly off topic. I'm assuming if you modified the ECU you'd need to notify the insurance company?

GrahamC230K said:
You might not get much, especially as chipping a supercharged car is not like chipping a turbo charged car, but AMG's are still built to adhere to regulations and most importantly so that they meet the expectations of thier average customer.

For example, the gear change on any AMG is about as harsh as the slush setting on a BMW M series SMG. AMG do not percieve their customers as wanting this.

My point, there is always room for customisation for an "improvement" depending on your perception.

I don't think they can do much, but I recommend Birds becuase of their reputation or DMS. DMS are not cheap though and you may be looking at 4 figures just for a remap.

I agree.
Had mine chipped and also removed the center exhaust box and there is deffinitely a huge difference.

mickl said:
slightly off topic. I'm assuming if you modified the ECU you'd need to notify the insurance company?

Of course. I have.

GRAV888 said:
I agree.
Had mine chipped and also removed the center exhaust box and there is deffinitely a huge difference.

Who done yours Grav ?? birds or dms ...
Ive also removed the centre resonator and feels a bit better,deeper exhaust note, but must go back on before next MOT.

andy_cyp said:
Ive also removed the centre resonator and feels a bit better,deeper exhaust note, but must go back on before next MOT.

Why?

It won't make any difference to emissions I doubt and it will be way too quiet to cause a problem.

andy_cyp said:

No need to put it back on mate.
Mine flew through the MOT.
As Graham says, noise levels are not an issue here.
A local company in Rochester (Impossible Performance) did mine.
He got the data for the chip from a friend and 'maxxed' it out :bannana:
I took the option of going as far as they could, but not having a warranty on it.
Pro's and Con's ;) ;)

The reply i got from birds.com "

we have CK32k 395hp Performance Kit, which includes a stainless exhaust and catalysts at 8809.80
or S32 426hp Performance Kit which includes a complete exhaust and catalysts, costs 12490.79
or K32 404hp Performance kit at 4,900.00
All prices include installation and commissioning, but are ex VAT

Regards. Kevin Bird

Are they having a laugh ????? :eek:

Makes the KLEEMANN 404bhp conversion @ £2.5k sound a lot more reasonable now, whereas birds want 4900, i dont get it ??

Ive enclosed a w203 price list from kleemann,"

CHECK OUT NUMBER 10 "

Last edited:
I could comment about Kleeman. I wouldn't touch their w202 pulley upgrade for example - research shows it leaves the engine running lean.

those Kleeman prices are excluding VAT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom