Edd China to leave Wheeler Dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If TG did a regular slot with mechanical advice it would be good. Not sure about Ant what's his face. He's a bit flash.

That's an idea. In the early programmes (Auto Trader) Mike would have customers test drive 3 cars and 'help' them choose. Edd would sometimes tidy up the old car and have a 'top tip' on how to get more money out of the old car by tidying it up

[YOUTUBE HD]BLIp03PhRtY&t=186s[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
If TG did a regular slot with mechanical advice it would be good. Not sure about Ant what's his face. He's a bit flash.

I rather liked Ant Antstead in that "For The Love Of Cars" programme which he did a while back. Just a shame that they paired him up with an actor (Philip Glenister?)who had absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, which was very obvious. :mad:

Edd China reveals real reason for Wheeler Dealers departure « Sniff Petrol

Edd China is to leave the hit TV programme Wheeler Dealers after admitting that he can’t understand a single word Mike Brewer says.

‘For 14 years Edd hasn’t followed anything that’s come out of Mike’s mouth,’ said a source close to the 7’8” gloves wearer. ‘He’s basically spent the last 13 series’ just smiling and nodding, and then fitting some new wheels and hoping that’s okay.’

‘Edd tried his best to understand what Mike was on about, but he was never sure if it was some kind of East London patois or if he’d had a stroke,’ another friend of the 9’10” standing-underneath-cars fan revealed. ‘In most cases he’d just say “absolutely” and then de-cloud the headlights and hope that was alright.’

‘Edd is looking forward to moving on to new projects involving his three passions,’ revealed a producer who worked with the 11’4” too-many-consonants enthusiast. ‘Which is to say, cars, engineering, and being able to have conversations in which he’s not just saying “uh-huh, uh-huh” and hoping the other person goes away soon.’

China has publically wished his replacement, Ant Anstead, the best of luck whilst privately he has emailed him details of a Linguaphone course for ****-er-nee along with a note reading, ‘This probably won’t work so just give a thumbs up and bury your head in the engine bay until he’s gone’.

Wheeler Dealers will continue on the Velocity Channel who bought the format for an unusually low price, re-built the cylinder heads, had it re-sprayed and sold it for a profit margin that didn’t really seem to account for all the work put into it.

Only way I could ever watch that series was by recording it and extensive use of fast forward to cut out all the tripe and staged nonsense from Mike Brewer.

It really grated

daveenty said:
I rather liked Ant Antstead in that "For The Love Of Cars" programme which he did a while back. Just a shame that they paired him up with an actor (Philip Glenister?)who had absolutely no interest in cars whatsoever, which was very obvious. :mad:
Glenister was obviously there because he drove an 80's car in in programme. TV producers probably think he's down with the kids!

I watched WD from day one, including the earlier versions of the show. I think Edd will be a big loss. The last two US influenced series havent been thier best. I started to loose interest the moment Mike became a `Benny Hill` like character and started to kid himself he was good on the tools i.e. Love Truck episode.

Personally, I think Mike should of left at the same time and started something new, like Grand Tour. Show it as a sign of support for Edd as, lets be honest, a show that is completely Mike would become annoying and Edd and his skills are tremendous.

It seems that Mike has been bitten by the Richard Rawlings type fame, which I don't think will ever be as big, or as bright.

What ever the case, you have to respect Edd for sticking to his morals and quitting.

I will no doubt watch the new series of WD but like Top Gear now, all I will do is think how much better Edd would of been and looking forward to his new show.

Simon

I remember a car show like this on CH4 with MB, some female called Penny I think and another bloke called Jason something who went on to be in TG for a while in the early years.

That's an idea. In the early programmes (Auto Trader) Mike would have customers test drive 3 cars and 'help' them choose. Edd would sometimes tidy up the old car and have a 'top tip' on how to get more money out of the old car by tidying it up

[YOUTUBE HD]BLIp03PhRtY&t=186s[/YOUTUBE HD]

JohnEBoy said:
I remember a car show like this on CH4 with MB, some female called Penny I think and another bloke called Jason something who went on to be in TG for a while in the early years.
Penny Mallory (quite fit) and Jason Dawe (quite fat).

Ant's better looking than Edd, so that's fine. :thumb:

I really like wheeler dealers but without Edd it won't be the same anymore, as others have said the workshop part of the show was very interesting.

Similarly to top gear I think the original combination will always be the best, oh well I hope there aren't plenty of unwatched old episodes I can binge on haha

Big up to Edd in my opinion. Sounds like our American friends wanted to make it Lizard Lick Towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big up to Edd in my opinion. Sounds like our American friends wanted to make it Lizard Lick Towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with Lizard Lick Towing?

The whole thing is a real shame. The USP of the programme was buy something for less than market value (less than £1k in the early series), and do it up and sell it for a profit afther some work.

Basically something that the ordinary bloke in his garage could do.

Welding wide arches onto an SEC is not that. (i enjoyed the programme buy the way, just it wasn't wheeler or dealering, just free labour in doing an expensive build).

Sadly, Car SOS is going the same way with ridiculously expensive builds, stupidly over the top falling outs and cry's of "we've bitten off more than we can chew, we've made a mistake here", along with stupid over the top Tim-being-a-tit moments.

I liked Ant in the last thing (seamed like a decent bloke), so hopefully there's some authenticity to it over him chasing the cash.

mct_cars said:
The whole thing is a real shame. The USP of the programme was buy something for less than market value (less than £1k in the early series), and do it up and sell it for a profit afther some work. Basically something that the ordinary bloke in his garage could do. Welding wide arches onto an SEC is not that. (i enjoyed the programme buy the way, just it wasn't wheeler or dealering, just free labour in doing an expensive build). Sadly, Car SOS is going the same way with ridiculously expensive builds, stupidly over the top falling outs and cry's of "we've bitten off more than we can chew, we've made a mistake here", along with stupid over the top Tim-being-a-tit moments. I liked Ant in the last thing (seamed like a decent bloke), so hopefully there's some authenticity to it over him chasing the cash.

100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Mike's been getting death threats

[YOUTUBE]umWmzN1MqWs[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, sounds like they are going to dumb down the show with more of fat-boy's "antics" and less on the technical fixing side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom