Editing H.264/MPEG-4 video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Unless I am missing something, whilst fine for capture & storagee, editing appears to be a bit of a mare, which is sad as Mrs S. has a Canon HF100 and some hours worth clogging up the memory cards which I have just dumped onto a hard drive.

Pinnacle 12 appears to do it but, in my case, requires a 'puter with the following minimum spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad at 2.66GHz or higher and a graphics card with 256Mb memory minimum, 512Mb suggested.

And there was me thinking it was about time I changed my manky old desktop. Any suggestions for something think will run video editing?

I have the same question for my Sony HDR-SR10 E when filming in 1080i AVCHD. The Pinnacle Studio 12 specs are as you suggest, but I find that the simpler Sony PMB editor that came with the camera less demanding on hardware, but without the bells and whistles.

An alternative might be the Ulead Video Studio software for HD editing? It might be less hardware hungry. I wonder if there is a trial version? Failing that I will start buiding a new computer too

Mac's have always been good for video editing. Even the often bundled iMovie does a pretty decent job for standard home movie stuff.

That said, Mac's aren't the cheapest! Not sure what I'd recommend in a Windows environment.

You could try Quicktime. Then upgrade to Quicktime Pro, i thinks its about £20 to upgrade.

I have it for editing MP4's. Its a little complicated at first, but once you get your head round it, I find its quite good. Theres info about it on Apples website, you could have a look and see if its suitable for what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom