Efficiency is set to take a hike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
XL1: Volkswagen unveils 313 miles per gallon car | Mail Online

I've read reviews and comments in other major car publications and I have to say

1. I think it looks great
2. Looks fun to drive being small and light
3. Probably will be fairly reliable as VW tend not to release complete rubbish
4. Really does push the MPG forward.
5. Five years ago I would have said I wouldn't be seen dead in that, now I would actually want to drive that. It looks modern, contempory but still nicely designed.
6. Interior isn't overladen with gadgets.

Why, unless you needed a large car, wouldn't you buy one?

Looks very interesting, though I would sacrifice some economy for quicker acceleration.

Bigger battery pack and a triple engine probably would give you 0-60 in the 8secs mark, which is nearer the performance of your current Mercedes?

Looks smart, easy to see out of the front, and cheap as chips to fuel and nice VW build. Whats not to like...

For me because:
"It can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 11.9 seconds and has a top speed of 99mph." ;)

...but I'm sure I'll come around to it soon the way fuel prices are going :p

Half the battle with changing technologies is to get people to want it.

I look at a Prius and think, yuk, its something my grandad would buy if he was still alive.

I look at that little coupe and think "I want that"...

11.9secs to 60 isn't that bad either, its not great, but if you've had a Ford Ka its a postive rocket ship :D

Would that be he same XL 1 they unveiled a few years ago.....:devil::D

Rearward visibility seems to be lacking.
It looks like it would be fun changing one of those rear wheels.
Heat dissipation for the rear brakes looks poor.

The general idea of a frugal car is good, I used to have a Triumph Acclaim (1353cc engine and as light as a feather).
The performance and fuel consumption were good when driving sensibly, and without passengers.
It was not quite the same when I was in a rush with 3 passengers and a full tank of fuel.

But you go for it Steve.............

IIRC they are not selling this but renting it out at quite exhorbitant rates.

We've gone a full circle then...:

'The compact two-seater weighs just 795kg as it is built around a carbon fibre reinforced polymer exterior.'

Same as my (long deceased) 1982 Mk.I Astra.

article-1350690-0CEAFF83000005DC-727_634x388.jpg

We won't sell much oil if this is popular :D

Qatar has huge natural gas reserves but not much oil. This would be an way ideal to annoy the Saudis next door to them. Most people in Qatar seem to drive Nissan Patrols, and mainly on two wheels, so I wouldn't like to drive something has small as that VW over there.

A great excercise in styling to that doesn't sacrifice form for function for a change, and that mpg figure is frankly staggering. I can't help thinking that hydrogen fuel cells is a better long term bet, but this would a great stop gap.

markjay said:
We've gone a full circle then...:

'The compact two-seater weighs just 795kg as it is built around a carbon fibre reinforced polymer exterior.'

Same as my (long deceased) 1982 Mk.I Astra.

But a bit more efficient...

For me because:
"It can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 11.9 seconds and has a top speed of 99mph." ;)

...but I'm sure I'll come around to it soon the way fuel prices are going :p

The thing is though, 11.9 seconds to 60 isn't THAT bad in normal driving, this car certainly isn't lacking in terms of town driving etc.
I'm not convinced on the styling but it's better looking than a Prius for sure, got to commend VW for building it and its economy, even if I most likely wouldn't buy one.

"Why, unless you needed a large car, wouldn't you buy one?"

The £125000 asking price?

Even the small i-BMW hybrid electric car is going to be £38K list. Similar tech. However if you are really on the cost savings buy a Dacia Sandro :)

"Why, unless you needed a large car, wouldn't you buy one?"

The £125000 asking price?

Even the small i-BMW hybrid electric car is going to be £38K list. Similar tech. However if you are really on the cost savings buy a Dacia Sandro :)

How much??? :eek::eek::eek:

I missed that bit. As much as I care about the environment you could buy a nice car for say £25k then have £100k to spend on petrol!

XL1: Volkswagen unveils 313 miles per gallon car | Mail Online

Because Actual data from American fatal accidents says you're six times more likely to die if the other vehicle weighs twice as much as yours.

This is why NCAP doesn't grade large cars alongside 'superminis.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom