Efficient cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercKing

Car
W164
Is anyone else experiencing increasing cristicism/evil looks etc... from people for having an interest in powerful cars? It's almost like even being interested in cars now is seen as a sign that you are a member of a tribe that wants to destroy the planet. I'm actually quite environment concious in other areas of my life, but I happen to love cars. Aren't I allowed to do this?????

:dk:

No. You must go out and purchase a Toyota Pious right away.

Just ignore them, there's that much hypocrisy with regards the environmentalist/save the world people that it's not worth getting worked up about.

Not being an eco-sheep is nothing to be ashamed of.

I am prepared to believe that pumping billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere must have some effect. But I am not happy being asked to swallow the line that the Sun can have no possible effect on variations in the climate of the earth: that has to be impossible because the Sun drives our entire weather and ecosystem.

But worst of all is the corrupt and nonsensical "carbon trading" systems that are vested interests directly funding so much eco babble.

letthemeatcarbon-198x300.jpg

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/wp-content/upload/2011/08/LetThemEatCarbonintrochapter.pdf

Let Them Eat Carbon: How Governments and Big Business Make Money from the Climate Change Agenda: Amazon.co.uk: Matthew Sinclair: Books

Last edited:
As the earth warms up, the oceans release more CO2.

Al Gore would have you believe that the increase in CO2 caused by us is making this happen. But increased activity of the sun (which we can do nothing about) is probably the cause. There is a huge vested interest in promoting global warming and/climate change.

A healthy scepticism is required. If govt. believed the world was doomed, then they would pay to have solar energy installed on all our roofs.

Ill stick with my older cars. Their carbon footprint (what gentlemen's small round things) was paid back years ago. The longer they last the more green they are. Go buy an old V8 or V12 and drive round with a mind as clear as the new laid snow.

Someone worked out once how long it would take a new electric car to pay back its debt for being "born" It would need a zimmer frame before it reached that point.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with all of you. I think that it is impossible to receive straight scientific 'facts' in this area, given all the different interests of governments, quangos and companies. It's a perfect example of people wanting to show off how pure and decent they are, and hypocritically (given their showy liberalism) demonise car lovers en masse.

A well debated topic on here.

Apparently I am a "climate change denier" and to eco hippy speak, that makes me as bad as a halocaust denier.

My main bug bear with the climate change "facts" is that they rely on comparing data gathered over many years with much more suspect instrumentation than we have to day. In otherwords, the data gathered that we compare todays data with is a load of tosh.

Then you need to consider that natural climate change does happen, and will happen anyway.

So I ignore what the carbon this and global thats say and eat lots of beef and release lots of methane into the sky.

When I listen to Al Gore, I can't help but think of a prehistoric tribesmen who, once having observed a bush fire during lightning, then try to call up the storm/rain/lightning by setting up a small fire... As far as I can see, high levels of CO2 historically were a direct result of global warming, not the cause. I would still love to have an electric A-class for use in Nassau, as the island is only 21x7 miles, it's quiet and should be fun to drive, but MB dropped the sandwich design and apart from those 500 LHD [EU lease only] unlikely to produce any, before switching to new A-class ... :(

I have no children, so with the CO2 I have saved I like to buy large engined petrol cars.

I don't really care, just ignore them, I hate their preachy pious opinions, so I'm deliberatly nonchalant and blase towards someone being that way, nothing infuriates them more.

I like driving a V8 and I don't really care for the amount of fuel it uses or the supposed environmental impact. The work I do to keep cars running well and healthy is my part to play.

Is anyone else experiencing increasing cristicism/evil looks etc... from people for having an interest in powerful cars? It's almost like even being interested in cars now is seen as a sign that you are a member of a tribe that wants to destroy the planet. I'm actually quite environment concious in other areas of my life, but I happen to love cars. Aren't I allowed to do this?????

:dk:

I'm not aware of it but inline with the general theme - I couldn't give a **** if I received such criticism or looks.

I am very conscious too in other areas but my one vice is fast petrol cars.

In my privileged position of having a V8 and a hybrid I only get positive comments when I'm in the SL not the Lexus.
I don't think many give a toss on Merseyside.

I like driving a V8 and I don't really care for the amount of fuel it uses or the supposed environmental impact. The work I do to keep cars running well and healthy is my part to play.

when you put it like that; you're carbon neutral! :thumb:

I have averaged over 20 years only 22.5 mpg town driving - and that is with 95% of the cars being 4 cylinder sub 2 litre -not a V8 in sight .Go figure.

trapperjohn said:
Ill stick with my older cars. Their carbon footprint (what gentlemen's small round things) was paid back years ago. The longer they last the more green they are. Go buy an old V8 or V12 and drive round with a mind as clear as the new laid snow.

Someone worked out once how long it would take a new electric car to pay back its debt for being "born" It would need a zimmer frame before it reached that point.

Well said. Even allowing for worst case scenario on climate change, the batteries on most electric cars are charged off the mains (80% chance of being created by fossil fuel) and the batteries which contain some of the most earth-raping metals known to man, need replacing every 3 years. The 'carbon footprint' on new Eco cars is huge perhaps until hydrogen power is harnessed.

Well said. Even allowing for worst case scenario on climate change, the batteries on most electric cars are charged off the mains (80% chance of being created by fossil fuel) and the batteries which contain some of the most earth-raping metals known to man, need replacing every 3 years. The 'carbon footprint' on new Eco cars is huge perhaps until hydrogen power is harnessed.

That's a very incorrect statement. Overall battery powered cars produce far lower emissions than any other motive source.

Lead acid batteries MAY require frequent changes, but other types give a long life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom