Effing Volvo DPF problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Posted here, as not strictly a Merc issue, although I suspect it might equally apply to all new cars with dpf systems.

My wife's Volvo V50 went limpy limpy the other day. RAC were unable to help, but said diagnostic computer pointed to dpf issue.

Garage today tells me the additive tank is cracked, been leaking, and now empty. This on top of me replacing the dpf sensor pipes the other day, as they looked like someone had a chainsaw on them!

Speaking to the mechanic, he said to replace the tank, refill, and, hopefully, force a regeneration would be circa £750!!!! The tank alone is £473 for the part. Then he said that that might still not rectify the issue, and it might need a new dpf filter.😠😠😠😠😠

The mechanic said they are seeing quite a few diesels with problems now, thanks to dpf systems, effectively almost writing off cars that are about 10yrs old. He then said he would not advise anyone to buy a diesel!

Anyhow, it's just more stress and hassle that I really didn't need right now with everything else that's been going on.😣😣😣

I have heard of it done here too.

(I have never done this btw)

Cant you just get a used tank and borrow an iCarsoft device to do a forced re-gen yourself ?

Even if the DPF is toast then they are not as expensive (aftermarket) than they used to be , even ECP do them now.

Personally i couldn`t be bothered with the MOT grief if the DPF was removed.

K

Cant they be cut open and cleaned quite successfully now? and as mentioned aftermarket ones can be had at a fraction of the price of an OEM one.

Is that the ford engine? if it is they are well known for this, i think it is possible to do away with the dpf but not without risk, what it the use profile?

Bit the bullet and stumped up for a new additive tank and fluid kit. Hoping that the garage can then do a forced regen. I tried with my iCarsoft, but it wouldn't do it. Maybe because the system had no fluid?

If this doesn't sort the problem, apparently a new DPF from Volvo is circa £400. If it comes to that, I will probably attempt the work myself.

What year is the V50?

Son has a Vauxhall Antara
Putting his sense of style to one side . . . .

The DPF demands regen on a regular basis, a known issue with these I now understand
I also understand that lots of Antara owners remove the guts of the DPF.
Doesn't change the emissions
Doesn't change anything measurable . . . . .apparently, we havn't tried it, yet.

Garage phoned this morning, woke me from sleep at 10.30 - how very dare they!
Anyhow, they've replaced the additive tank and refilled it, but still can't force the car into a regen.
Having spoken to a helpful Volvo dealership, it seems the dpf has possibly reached the end of its serviceable life anyway, quoted at 75000miles - car has done 72k, mainly short journeys, plus had the added issue of no additive for goodness how long, and bust vacuum hose to the dpf sensor.
So, now I'm having to throw a further wad of money at it to get the dpf filter replaced, in the hope that that finally sorts the issues. If not, I hate to think how I'll react, as already starting to feel very wobbly with it all. :(

An 11 years old Volvo will still have some decent value left in it... and some life as well. So sadly it's worth fixing.

But the lesson is to steer clear of Diesel cars - even if the fuel economy is tempting. There are just too many things that can go wrong and are expensive to repair.

I had a Diesel Kia for 5 years, I guess should consider myself lucky that I had no issues with it while under my ownership.

An 11 years old Volvo will still have some decent value left in it... and some life as well. So sadly it's worth fixing.

But the lesson is to steer clear of Diesel cars - even if the fuel economy is tempting. There are just too many things that can go wrong and are expensive to repair.

I had a Diesel Kia for 5 years, I guess should consider myself lucky that I had no issues with it while under my ownership.
Indeed, or buy an old diesel without a dpf, like a W211 like my one, made before they started being fitted.
The idiot in me is still tempted to go for a Cayman next time, and enjoy the pain of bills for one of those! Somebody slap me!:D

Although they cause many problems and costs further down the line, I can see why DPF’s were installed.

EGR’s on the other hand - which is effectively like eating your own crap your body just got rid of - are dreadful.

Although they cause many problems and costs further down the line, I can see why DPF’s were installed.

EGR’s on the other hand - which is effectively like eating your own crap your body just got rid of - are dreadful.

TBF, I'd much rather that diesels clean up the crap that they pump out themselves.

Rather than expect my lungs to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom