egr 2355-001 aka p0401 after fitting 4.7k res and tied swirl flaps open.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iskapsts

Car
2008 viano lwb 3.0cdi
Just to see if anyone can advise PLEASE.
2 years ago i have bought a very problematic om642.990.
fast forward skip all previous issues,few days ago was fitting back turbo and while fitting back swirl flap motor (passenger side UK) manifold swirl clip just perisshed just turned in ash.
Got 2511-001 code on star,fitted 4.7k res. that cured it, but since durring higher rew drive no problems, but on lower rews i believe under 2k rpm
getting 2355-001- aka p0401 on obd-actuaction of exaust gas recirculation. specified value below range-- folowed by limp mode (turbo off), which can be cured by restart or clear code until ecu ask swirl flaps to shut, mil with egr code is back, driving in town it happens every mile or so.
i read a lot about 4.7k resistor trick and flaps tied in open position no issues for most, why would it generate egr too low flow for me,there is a lot of missinformation on forums how the swirl flaps and egr are conected at some certain low rpm ranges.

i have noticed some boost hiss around intercooler arrea, bet its one of the either side pipes or the intercooler itself busted, i know such a leak can throw of MAF and other readings, but its been there for about 10k miles( dont comment i know i just had 100's of other things to fix.and that pipe on w639 is a pain to access). but as mentioned above it wasnt issue until i fit 4.7k resistor and locked swirl flaps in open position 2355-001 came right away.

Any advice would be much appretiated.
regards igors

Attachments

• IMG_1981 (1).jpg
    IMG_1981 (1).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
These two are confusing me even futher- read it of sprinter site.
:
Nutron's a smart guy, I've followed his threads for a while on various forums and he's been messing with the Z19DTH for quiet a while and to a pretty extensive level. The swirl flaps are not technically part of the EGR system but they do work together and have a crossover function at certain RPM's. The position of the flaps and the flow of the exhaust gasses when the EGR is 'open' will work together to create a clean low RPM combustion for the purpose of improved emission and a way of boosing low rev air speed into the cylinders for more power before the turbo has reach decent boost.
The EGR is closed at low revs for the reason that taking the exhaust gases away from the turbo below 2k stops it from actively spooling to create enough boost to get enough air into the cylinders, Hence why if the EGR is stuck open or even just opened slightly the engine will struggle to gain boost below 2k and sometimes 2.5k depending on how open the egr is. But you are right, they both open at the same time, but both should be closed below 2k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom