EGR Clean before and after pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spera

Car
2002 E CLASS 270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
Lovely job , the bolt underneath was difficult to take out and removing it from the steel pipe was a persuasive action :D
ok before clean
EGR Unit
egr1.JPG
MANIFOLD
egr3.JPG
EGR1 ALREADY REMOVED SLUDGE TO SEE CENTRE PIECE
egr5.JPG

More before pics

egr6.JPG

egr7.JPG

egr9.JPG

After clean

Ian at 124WORKS advised me on procedure so thanks to you for advice.
Once EGR removed do the following
1.remove excess sludge with protective gloves
2.place in paraffin in a plastic bowl and leave overnight
3.use a small brush to remove excess
4.clean with carb cleaner using a brush
5.allow to dry and here you are see pics
egrclean5.JPG

egrclean6.JPG

egrclean3.JPG

Just like new and the pick up / acceleration has improved tenfold.It must have been poorly since I bought it. Fantastic pick up. Would fully recommend doing this clean.

Looks like a job well done that, thx for loading up all the pics and the 'how to'. :O)

what mileage is on the engine ?

Looks like a job well done that, thx for loading up all the pics and the 'how to'. :O)

what mileage is on the engine ?
80k thanks. Its got the wow factor now.

Did you take of the manifold and have a clean there too? If not you will probably find that it is a similar state.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I was wondering where the EGR was and from your photo managed to locate it as the cars are not too dissimilar. Sure enough it was nearly 50% blocked with soot & sludge with a fair amount also coming out of the manifold. Surprisingly it does not appear to have made a lot of difference to the performance and I still have a slight 'rumble' on the engine on neutral throttle at about 1500 rpm. Tried sucking on the diaphragm pipe and it seemed to click open ... does anyone know if this is correct? Would have thought it should be a smooth operation..

Did you take of the manifold and have a clean there too? If not you will probably find that it is a similar state.

Didn't have the time to do it , but looking in there with EGR off , looked pretty much like my pre-cleaned EGR. A job when Ive got some good time off. Thanks Sp!ke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom