EGR system removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tacho d

Car
Mercedes Benz W209 CLK 220 CDI
While considering how essential the EGR system is with it's inherent complexity, and potential for problems, I came across a video for it's entire removal from BMW cars where there is even a kit available with blanking plates etc. Thereby increasing reliability, and removing the clutter from the engine compartment making working on the engine far easier. Can this be done on Mercedes cars, and how will this effect emissions testing during the MOT?

It can be done on (almost) any car.

The EGR limits the supply of fresh oxygen to the engine, thus reducing the temperature inside the combustion chamber, which in turn produces less NOx emissions.

At current MOT testing station do not have the equipment to test for EGR removal, but if NOx emission testing is introduced next year as some have been suggesting, then this will be an issue for all those out there who blocked the EGR or deleted the AdBlue system.

Additionally, your car will technicality become unroadworthy and the insurance void.... but what are the chances of ever being caught, I don't know.

While considering how essential the EGR system is with it's inherent complexity, and potential for problems, I came across a video for it's entire removal from BMW cars where there is even a kit available with blanking plates etc. Thereby increasing reliability, and removing the clutter from the engine compartment making working on the engine far easier. Can this be done on Mercedes cars, and how will this effect emissions testing during the MOT?
Just get it remapped with an EGR delete.

Does that mean the system will still be there but inoperable? I suppose the advantage of that would be restoring it to operational if emissions testing becomes stricter.

Does that mean the system will still be there but inoperable? I suppose the advantage of that would be restoring it to operational if emissions testing becomes stricter.
Yes, exactly.

It can be done on (almost) any car.

The EGR limits the supply of fresh oxygen to the engine, thus reducing the temperature inside the combustion chamber, which in turn produces less NOx emissions.

At current MOT testing station do not have the equipment to test for EGR removal, but if NOx emission testing is introduced next year as some have been suggesting, then this will be an issue for all those out there who blocked the EGR or deleted the AdBlue system.

Additionally, your car will technicality become unroadworthy and the insurance void.... but what are the chances of ever being caught, I don't know.
but doesnt the egr only open when cold? so wont effect mot will it?

It doesn't. It changes the specific heat of the in-cylinder gas and thus reduces pressure.

but doesnt the egr only open when cold? so wont effect mot will it?
No, it's operational at all temps. In fact in the early days of EGR it would be deactivated it at low temps as it could cause combustion stability problems
Post dieselgate that is seen as cycle beating, so they have to use EGR unless it can be demonstrated it is would be impossible to do so.

Just had auto box service, diff oil change, and thorough check over underneath at Alex Crow in Stowmarket. All for £266 which I thought was reasonable. Asked about EGR delete on a remap and they will do it for £90. Is that good?

Just had auto box service, diff oil change, and thorough check over underneath at Alex Crow in Stowmarket. All for £266 which I thought was reasonable. Asked about EGR delete on a remap and they will do it for £90. Is that good?
I would say very good.

Not so good for Alex Crow now it's been made public...

Have you had this done? I had it done as my EGR was 'broken' but is it worth fixing the broken EGR?
I've deleted the EGR and adblue system, as well as increased the hp & torque with a remap.
Hasn't cost me a penny in repair costs since I had it done over two years ago and passes MOT's without any problems.

I've deleted the EGR and adblue system, as well as increased the hp & torque with a remap.
Hasn't cost me a penny in repair costs since I had it done over two years ago and passes MOT's without any problems.
Was your EGR valve in good condition when you deleted it? Mine was broken.

What are the benefits of deleting the EGR? Apologies for all the questions.

When I have the DPF removed I got a re-map done at the same time and noticed an increase in BHP and torque also.

Have you had this done? I had it done as my EGR was 'broken' but is it worth fixing the broken EGR?

Well, the EGR was working at the time but I've read so many complaints about it giving trouble that I thought I'd get rid of it as the adblue was getting deleted as it was costing too much to keep it working I'd get rid of both at the same time.

The main benefit of removing the EGR is that you are not recycling dirty exhaust gases back through the inlet manifold and cylinders this is what causes the build up of the black gunk that restricts the air flow

The EGR does not cause the black gunk per se....thats the oily muck passing through the PCV.....the EGR just makes it worse by providing the heat in the inlet to bake it on with. My EGR is still fitted and operational....but I now have an oil catch can between the PCV and the inlet....not more black yuck since I fitted it. All I get is fine grey powder building up now......that IS from the exhaust fumes in the EGR.....but its the thinnest coating that never gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom