EIS / CAN / SAM Issues - Desperate fior help advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I might have a matching set of Keys EIS ESL ECU for a W210 will look tomorrow.

Meanwhile here's some on e-bay that's what you should have go sent to you.

w210 MERCEDES ECU KEY SET | eBay

Send back the parts you bought and get a refund.

Now remember this might all be a waste of time money if there's further problems due to the flooding,
but a complete working key set will at least let you know a problem lies else where.

Last edited:
Hey MB270...was going to try your "press unlock twice and leave the key in the EIS for a couple of hours" - Is this click before insertion or with key inserted?

Not silly at all - No this was not swapped. I was informed this was not a coded part and was driven/released by the EIS?

I bought all parts as a bundle from a breaker who had an advertised 'package' of parts which came without this also and so i presumed the previously supplied information correct?

Can anyone else confirm/deny the steering lock part as being coded?

Can i remove/bypass the lock in anyway?

If confirmed I'll need to try and source the lock coded to the new (secondhand) parts, otherwise this makes all the other parts useless?! As per olly i don't know if they're all working as they are indeed secondhand, but have to assume so at the moment.

My other option was a new EIS from Merc which with new key and coding to my parts via chassis number at £700 - all to find out what additional faults i might have, so was trying to have a go on the cheap, before throwing good money after bad.

As i said guys, i really appreciate all advice, but still need to know;

If star will/can read anything with no power to EIS?/Ignition on/car running

Is the steering lock a coded part?

What is the capacitor in the passenger foot-well that forms part of the main battery connections through the bulkhead for?

Thanks again for all the comments

You can take the lock off...and then use an emulator. Of course, you wont have a lock...but do you care?

You can take the lock off...and then use an emulator. Of course, you wont have a lock...but do you care?

Not at this stage, just need to attempt to start it, but assume removing it still might not allow me to move new key to postion 1/2 to allow a start - Unless i'm missing something?

Emulation refers to re-coding emulating the original or new parts and i've found nobody in west wales yet! - Business opportunity for someone?!!

ps, can't you join the RAC/AA today and then call them on Sunday for a low-load back to home - at least that way car is near you and someone with diagnostics !!

R

I'm already a member, but have already called them out and was recovered to my mates on the night in question as it was 1am by the time we got a truck out and i couldn't face the 2 hour journey home on the night in question - bad move, i know now, but i know the issue is "logged" so to speak so would have to understand their process before requesting re-recovery for a car that has no seats or carpets in it ;-)...

Well boys and girls, its up and running and driven back to Cardiff!! whooo hooo!!!

I went back to West Wales with a determined attitude today and after trying the key two blips in the ignition, still no joy.....Found the Can bus connector buried in the wiring loom, I had cleaned this up before, and was still clean compared to the green crud that was on some of the connectors i chopped out....But I gave it another clean for good measure with contact cleaner, but still nothing.....

So, nothing else to try but all my old ECU modules, SAM, and original EIS....Disconnected battery, swapped the lot again, reconnected, spare key in the ignition, and voila! - ESL noise, turned to position 1 and the dash lit up again to position two, to start her, and she fired up first time like the reliable old bus I'm used too! - Over the moon, and now know that the ESL is definitely a coded part!

So, everything major works so far, but have only put the drivers carpet and drivers seat back in to get home. Plan to do some more cleaning, replace the battery (using my big boat leisure battery at the moment, which sits too high) and then get it on Star in the week with my Indy to see what the criac is...She's running as normal though with no faults showing on the dash, but my SRS light next to the glow plug light is on after a couple of seconds after starting (is this airbag related?)

Anyway, thanks so much for all the advice all. Its what a true forum is all about! I really am extremely grateful for all the responses.

PS. two lessons; the ESL is a coded part and I can definitely testify that the W210 doesn't float!! Will post some pics maybe once she's cleaned and polished! Teh irony is i have a "steelmate" elecrical system which i assume was fitted to prevent rust on the body panels at some point...will see how that fairs in the next few months....

Well boys and girls, its up and running and driven back to Cardiff!! whooo hooo!!!

I went back to West Wales with a determined attitude today and after trying the key two blips in the ignition, still no joy.....Found the Can bus connector buried in the wiring loom, I had cleaned this up before, and was still clean compared to the green crud that was on some of the connectors i chopped out....But I gave it another clean for good measure with contact cleaner, but still nothing.....

So, nothing else to try but all my old ECU modules, SAM, and original EIS....Disconnected battery, swapped the lot again, reconnected, spare key in the ignition, and voila! - ESL noise, turned to position 1 and the dash lit up again to position two, to start her, and she fired up first time like the reliable old bus I'm used too! - Over the moon, and now know that the ESL is definitely a coded part!

So, everything major works so far, but have only put the drivers carpet and drivers seat back in to get home. Plan to do some more cleaning, replace the battery (using my big boat leisure battery at the moment, which sits too high) and then get it on Star in the week with my Indy to see what the criac is...She's running as normal though with no faults showing on the dash, but my SRS light next to the glow plug light is on after a couple of seconds after starting (is this airbag related?)

Anyway, thanks so much for all the advice all. Its what a true forum is all about! I really am extremely grateful for all the responses.

PS. two lessons; the ESL is a coded part and I can definitely testify that the W210 doesn't float!! Will post some pics maybe once she's cleaned and polished! Teh irony is i have a "steelmate" elecrical system which i assume was fitted to prevent rust on the body panels at some point...will see how that fairs in the next few months....

Well done.

The SRS light is on because the ignition was turned on with either the airbag, dash clocks or seatbelt pre tensioners disconnected, at some point.

Just needs resetting.

The reason the key wouldn't turn is because the EIS receives feedback from the ESL that the plunger has been withdrawn fully.

I didn't think the ESL was coded, which makes me wonder if the EIS you purchased isn't sending an Unlock request on key insertion. Was there any noise at all from the ESL?

On another note. Next time I want to launch a boat, are you Ok with lending me your car to use?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom