Elderly parents conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
A little advice required please fellow forum members:

My parents [aged 83 and 78] have just moved back to the UK having spent the last 12 years in Ireland.

I've found them somewhere to live and now a small runaround so they can get themselves around, but here is the rub - although they have had 20+ years of claim free insured motoring, UK insurers will not consider the last 12 years in Ireland, and their previous UK history is too old to be considered.

The AA [who they had been with over the last 20 years or so] are particularly difficult having just quoted £2750 to insure a 6 year old small car. They will not take account of the history.

Other insurers will not consider them as they have only just moved to the UK - they say they require 2 years residence before they can insure.

Have tried the ususal comparison sites, but cheapest still in excess of £1000! Any suggestions as to how I might solve this one? Any recommendations for speciaist brokers/insurers who might be able to offer something more reasonable?

Thanks as ever

Sean

Last edited:
Hello Sean,

You mentioned that one of their ages - Have you obtained quotes for a policy in the name of the 78 year old, with the older person as a 2nd driver if necessary?

When Dad hit 75 his premium starting increasing considerably each year, so part of this is a risk/age thing anyhow.

Insure the car in your name and add them as named drivers.

Presumably before they went to RoI they had lived in the UK for many years...strange then they are being treated like foreigners.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is it will get much cheaper...my parents are are 88 and 82 and pay much less than £1000pa for an S Class and a Renault.

Have you tried phoning Saga and Ageas directly? They both target older drivers and may be able to do something for you. I suspect you will still have a high quote but as renault12ts says the premiums will drop quickly as they renew.

I think an old fashioned broker is your best bet. There are insurers willing to accept proof from a foreign insurer but they are not the big names. You could try Stuart Collins who do policies for uk cars that spend most of the year out of the uk. They may have something similar for "new" uk residents. NFU Mutual is another that looks at people individually rather than just using a computer algorithm.

Ignore JohnBell post. That would be 'fronting' and is just as wrong for older drivers as younger ones ! The insurance would not be valid.

Ignore JohnBell post. That would be 'fronting' and is just as wrong for older drivers as younger ones ! The insurance would not be valid.

Fronting is much more than just getting your insurance cover cancelled. It's insurance fraud and comes with a criminal conviction also.

Do their Irish insurers offer cover in the UK?

We are still part of the European (for the moment......)

Thanks for the input - they will have to remain carless for now. Have not been able to find anything reasonable...Online or from a broker. Will wait till they've been settled for a while and try again in a few months.

Meanwhile I am the happy owner of a small runaround Nissan Micra... I've driven worse

Last edited:
Well I have had a thought,as your parents are aged do they have disabilities ,could they maybe get these enhanced,the reason I ask is the Mobility scheme,check to see if they are able to meet the requirements ,you give up the benefits for a leased car and you get free insurance.

Well I have had a thought,as your parents are aged do they have disabilities ,could they maybe get these enhanced,the reason I ask is the Mobility scheme,check to see if they are able to meet the requirements ,you give up the benefits for a leased car and you get free insurance.

I believe the scheme is only for people up to 65.

Do their Irish insurers offer cover in the UK?

We are still part of the European (for the moment......)

Yes, they do as does any insurance company in any EU member state. But, it's only on a temporary basis of three months maximum.

My parents [aged 83 and 78] have just moved back to the UK having spent the last 12 years in Ireland.

As an aside ... have they renewed their UK driving licences? Mandatory to do this at 70 years old then every 3 years after that.

No you can be over 65 but you need to be receiving certain benefits for being disabled

That may be true..but I thought you had to be receiving those benefits before you were 65?

If you are in receipt of DLA or PIP then you may be able to apply for Motability. DLA is only open for new claimants under 16 and PIP is for 16 - 64...so you can't make a new claim after 64 and therefore you can't make a claim after 64 for Motability...unless you are already in receipt of it.

Last edited:
There you go, a quick search on Google suggests that Aviva will automatically accepts NCB from certain oversea countries (mainly EU countries including Ireland).

Contact Us - Aviva

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom