Eleanor or C63???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT500E

Car
1967 GT500E
I currently drive an e90 335d as a daily driver. It's a company car from the family business I work for. I am lucky that I get to decide on what I get as a company car as long as it's within budget, etc

So my weekend ride is a 67 mustang Eleanor.( I tried to attach a pic, not sure if it worked.) I spent 6 years building the mustang so there is an element of emotion attached to it. The big draw backs with the Mustang are not being able to park it anywhere, fair weather driving only and the cruel MPG. I know many of you are thinking I am talking nonsense but the best I've ever got on an "economy" run was 11mpg...on average I'd say it is around 6-7 mpg. It's a 7.4 lt pocket emptier!!!. Realistically I get to drive it 1-2 times a month in the summer and 1-2 for the whole 4-5 months of winter.

I test drove a brand new C63 last year and that car has not let me forget it.... So I could flog the mustang, get myself a facelift c63 and maybe start a new project like a cobra replica or another mustang. This should satisfy my need for a V8 and get me something to build. Unfortunately I cannot afford to do both, it's one or the other. I could potentially sell the 335d and use the c63 as my company car but I'd have to stomach the additional fuel costs out of my own pocket.

I do around 18,000 miles per year and I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on what a C63 is like as a daily driver doing decent mileage. The obvious drawbacks are fuel costs, frequent stops due to the small tank and hit on depreciation for the higher miles but I can live with all of them.

Attachments

• image-2300596720.jpg
    image-2300596720.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 203
  • image-894945282.jpg
    image-894945282.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 207
I had a C63 as a daily doing around 80miles. Loved it and apart from the things you have flagged one of my most enjoyable commuting cars. If you want one go for it.

Get rid of the Beemer , get a c63 and swallow the extra costs.

Do. Not. Sell. That Mustang ever !

I have to agree with Howard, selling the Mustang isn't an option.

Get a Ford Mondeo and keep the Mustang.

Plan C. Save up, part-ex/sell the BMW and buy the C63 but NEVER, EVER sell the Mustang……….without being presumptuous, that is something you would regret very quickly. There are lots of 63's to be bought and that will continue for a long while but how often do you see an Eleanor? JMO.

Yes never sell that mustang , my friend has nearly finished his mustang project after 10
Long years , I remember when he got it
It was loud had no brakes (drums all round )
I had the pleasure of driving it from pub to pub
As I don't drink and the response from the public
was amazing , ill never forget feeling like Steve
McQueen for the night , his was bullet green ;)

Attachments

• image-3495599888.jpg
    image-3495599888.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
It is frustrating having such a nice car and not being able to drive it much. And the mpg is not the big stopper, the weather and the lack of being able to park it anywhere suck. I could of course just say stop caring but rust/vandalism or theft would strike pretty soon. I could drive a C63 whenever I want and that's what is making me even consider it.

If I miss the mustang that much I could build another and this time I would put a modern V8 in it that will get me into the 20 mpg range on the motorway.

There is a method to my madness

18k miles per year will be a lot of tyres too.

A sensible saloon and your toy would be my option too.

Dam you guys....I thought I would only get AMG biased advise here ;-)

Last edited:
I do 18k year in my C63 as a daily driver. no problem with 'small tank' or tyres. that's just down to sensible driving.

I've done 33k on its only set of tyres and only now do they need changing. 300 miles per tank ... its not all that bad. I love it as a DD. its quiet, comfortable and yet can scare the hell out of you (and others) whenever you want. Best of all worlds.

andy-mc said:
I do 18k year in my C63 as a daily driver. no problem with 'small tank' or tyres. that's just down to sensible driving. I've done 33k on its only set of tyres and only now do they need changing. 300 miles per tank ... its not all that bad. I love it as a DD. its quiet, comfortable and yet can scare the hell out of you (and others) whenever you want. Best of all worlds.

And that what made me like the C63 so much when I test drove it...I passed through a small village right outside a school at collection time and not one head turned.

Eleanor is the total opposite of that. Every time I go to the shop in it I spend 5 minutes in the shop and 30 minutes in the car park chatting to random people. I am not complaining about it but sometimes it's nice to have the option to be under the radar.

LTD said:
18k miles per year will be a lot of tyres too. A sensible saloon and your toy would be my option too.

That's what I have now. I get 35-40mpg from the 335d..

European road trips are not an option with the mustang.

C63's are ok , but they are pretty common ( round my way at least )

That mustang is something else entirely , beautiful , timeless , classic , even people with absolutely no interest in cars will stop and remark on it I bet. The 63 is just another mercedes saloon I'm afraid.

If you can't drive the mustang, fit a glass wall in your garage and just sit and look at it ... I would.

Howard said:
That mustang is something else entirely , beautiful , timeless , classic , even people with absolutely no interest in cars will stop and remark on it I bet.

That is something I have to agree with...

I had a girlfriend called Eleanor once , she was none of the above

guydewdney said:
Find a better paid job, move to a smaller house / mortgage and keep both...

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom