Elec & Gas Bills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Boring I know, but just had a bit of a shock. I'm with Powergen for both electricity and gas on an internet scheme, so I don't get paper bills, just an email telling me that one is available to view online.

I've never bothered because the Powergen site is soooo sloooow. Just checked now to see I have a balance of £548.43. Great, I think, I've been overpaying so I'll have that back .... no, that's how much I'm in debit! :eek:

I pay £46 p/m for the two. My last bill, i.e. March to June, was:

Electricity: £114.98
Gas: £86.60
Discount: £10.37CR
Total: £191.21
VAT: £9.56
TOTAL: £200.77

So, just to cover that bill, I need to be paying nearer £70 p/m :eek:

How does that sound compared to you?

I'm with npower and was convinced I was in credit but am not. I pay £55 + £35 elec and gas respectivly and owe £70 - not as bad as you but same principal.

Having said that I think the meter reading is estimated - is yours actual? I can never be bothered to check and think it'll come out in the wash - until like you I end up owing £500+ !

I sympathise

marc

Flyer said:
Boring I know, but just had a bit of a shock. I'm with Powergen for both electricity and gas on an internet scheme, so I don't get paper bills, just an email telling me that one is available to view online.

I've never bothered because the Powergen site is soooo sloooow. Just checked now to see I have a balance of £548.43. Great, I think, I've been overpaying so I'll have that back .... no, that's how much I'm in debit! :eek:

Flyer, got exactly the same problem - DD all the way - bill comes in balance £500+???!!!!

works out at £1k for gas and electric for the year!!! seems excessive to me?

Flyer said:

I pay £74 per month for the two combined. I'm with Scottish Power dual fuel etc. Thats for a five bed/3 bath house which houses three females that have a penchant for hot water usage :eek: and leaving lights/appliances switched on :rolleyes: It covers all heating, hot water and electricity all year round. I'm £140 in credit. So depending on how many occupants you have and how often they/you bath/shower/cook etc, its difficult to say!

You might find that they have estimated your meter readings and over estimated. Check the readings for yourself and send them the true figures. They should adjust your bill.

I periodically go to www.uswitch.com and check out who is the cheapest in my area and switch if there is a resonable saving to be made.

we're with Virgin as was has just changed and don't know what they're called but we pay about £100 p/m for the two but it's a sizable house and we're not very good at saving energy I'm ashamed to say.

So for a normal family I would have thought anything upwards from £50 p/m to around £75 was about right.

I know its obvious but its all about
what you pay per unit x how many units you use.

eg my monthly DD for gas & elec is £47 ie about £600 pa

In Northern Region my units costs are
Elec £3.00 pm Mthly Stan Chge + 5.99p per kWh
Gas £2.10 pm Mthly Stan Chge +1.47p per kWh

all ex VAT of course

Anyone else ?

grasmere said:
I know its obvious but its all about
what you pay per unit x how many units you use.

eg my monthly DD for gas & elec is £47 ie about £600 pa

In Northern Region my units costs are
Elec £3.00 pm Mthly Stan Chge + 5.99p per kWh
Gas £2.10 pm Mthly Stan Chge +1.47p per kWh

all ex VAT of course

Anyone else ?

you've got to be joking - thats detail dahling, ladies don't do detail :D :D

Steve_Perry said:
Does that philosophy apply to ladies parking too? :devil: :p

S.

cheeky - not this one - generally anyway :eek: do have my odd moment though :eek: ;)

Flyer said:

Flyer how bigs your house do you have a Moat and a draw-bridge ;) ,bloody hell thats painfull iam with british gas dual fuel £35.gas..£25.electric...and my bills have been good, they always owe me ,let it get to £50 then they send me a cheque i don't let them reduce the monthly just had a combi fitted so hopeing for further reductions :D

Last edited:
Both with British Gas, just had the letter saying Electric underpaid too - now paying £100 per month for Electric and wouldn;t like to guess what the Gas is :eek:

My latest figures are, sadly, actual.

So, this is what we look like:

marc777 : £90
andyw : £83 approx.
Alfie : £74
pammy : £100
grasmere : £47
mark.t : £60
OGiii : £100+

grasmere, my figures are: electricity, 5.79p (£3.45); gas, 1.55p (£3.60)

It's a four-bed, two-bath detached. I do have three computers on permanently plus peripherals, so I suppose that bumps up the consumption a bit. Mark, I chose not to go with the moat option when I bought the house, although I suppose I would have saved on CCTV if I had :D

Looking at what everybody's paying, I don't suppose I'm doing too bad. Wonder how long it will take for Powergen to get around to re-working my DD ....

I pay about £90pcm for both and am with Npower. They were taking £100 off me last year, but I built up a credit and insisted they drop it. I did put all my figures into that energy comparison site but noone else could beat it

I work for one of the above mentioned companies in their MIS arm and have to say that that a LOT of customers have found themselves in a very similar position.

Partly due to the falut of billing systems not capable of estimating usage of customers and a lack of meter readings which goes on for a year and can throw your account into chaos.

Part of this increase is also becasue of the current gas market - very volatile at the moment with prices sky high.

My advice is clear the balance and moniter your own consumption and work your own bill out - do not rely on g&e companies to do this for you and yep - £50-70 is about average now.

Last edited:
Our gas and electric are with british gas,We have a large 3 bed semi and pay £36 for the gas and £40.50 for the electric per month,The only thing we have on gas is the combi boiler for central heating and hot water,everything else is electric.

I chngd from NPower to ScottishPower after going on uswitch.com. New to moving house etc so all new to me. Yet to have my first bill. Elec only w/ Eco7 (so it's an Eco7 tariff). SP are like 13p/unit max rate tho?! No standing charge tho. NPower say I owe them like £50 for 3 months but I told them I moved in Feb and chngd 4 weeks after so I'v sent them proof of my moving-in date so they can write that off (otherwise I'l b charged for Mar-onwards by both NP and SP)... See wot happens.

Flyer said:
My latest figures are, sadly, actual.

So, this is what we look like:

marc777 : £90
andyw : £83 approx.
Alfie : £74
pammy : £100
grasmere : £47
mark.t : £60
OGiii : £100+

grasmere, my figures are: electricity, 5.79p (£3.45); gas, 1.55p (£3.60)

It's a four-bed, two-bath detached. I do have three computers on permanently plus peripherals, so I suppose that bumps up the consumption a bit. Mark, I chose not to go with the moat option when I bought the house, although I suppose I would have saved on CCTV if I had :D

Looking at what everybody's paying, I don't suppose I'm doing too bad. Wonder how long it will take for Powergen to get around to re-working my DD ....

I wouldn't hold my breath on Powergen re-working your DD - they are disorganised at best!! I was forced into moving to them when Amerada were bought out, just haven't had time to shop around!

Personally, I'm upping the DD myself to cover some of the arrears and the bills going forward, not giving them £500 of my hard-earned in one go! Does mean my new monthly is going to be nearer £125, but at least it will come right eventually!

As for gas/electricity prices in general, I have been advised commercially that the high prices now are the new base level - they won't be going down! :mad:

andyw said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on Powergen re-working your DD - they are disorganised at best!! I was forced into moving to them when Amerada were bought out, just haven't had time to shop around!

Yep, same as me. I was with Amerada too. £125 p/m :eek:

Maybe they'll just forget about it ... :rolleyes:

Seeing all your bills makes me suspect our house is supplying the National grid!! ;) ;)

I have tried to find a supplier that gives a discount for high usage and would be grateful to hear if anyone has heard of such a thing.

John

Just a point, does anyone have an off peak meter? I am with nPower and have had an off peak meter since I moved into the house, and no I do not have or ever had night storage heating. The washing machine and dishwasher are always put on at the cheaper times. We pay about £60 per month combined with 4 adults living at home.

On another note, I received a card from nPower yesterday asking me to read the meter :D :D :D laugh, I press the button on the front an get about six different number groups. Sad really they cannot afford meter readers any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom