Electric 4x4 cars going off road !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi ,so how are farmers going to tend the cows , sheep in a tourchy car : They cannot !

Hi ,so how are farmers going to tend the cows , sheep in a tourchy car : They cannot !

There's no expectation that all vehicular traffic will be converted to electric propulsion any time soon. It will probably take another 15-20 years at least (and possibly longer) before we see the demise of ICE across all industries, including road haulage, agricultural, earth moving machinery, marine, etc etc. Farmers will be OK with their Defenders for years to come. They may not be allowed to drive them into the larger city centres, but then they rarely do anyway.

The same way they did for thousands of years before the invention of the ICE?
Commensurate with the likely demise of low cost personal travel afforded by cheap fossil fueled transport will necessitate the demise of centralising human activity to a more distributed model reversing the tendency that the relatively cheap movement of people has positively encouraged until now, if activity /output levels are to be maintained. Putting it another way more people lived closer to where they worked in the past

In simple terms no!

I have an EQC and the ground clearance is rubbish you could never take it off road, one of my friend in the Yorkshire Dales lives off grid so about two miles up a track, I bottomed out more than once going up there the other week. And its very heavy 2.5 tones, I wouldn't like to think I was stuck in mud despite the clever four wheel drive stuff.

There can be no cows if the goal of limiting global temperature rise is to be fulfilled.

Hi , so this Mercedes is a soft roader but not sure how the car has been bought to market.

In reality most 4x4 are going off road when they drive on the pavement !

Hi , so this Mercedes is a soft roader but not sure how the car has been bought to market.

Are you in the market for an MB 4X4 then?

There's no expectation that all vehicular traffic will be converted to electric propulsion any time soon. It will probably take another 15-20 years at least (and possibly longer) before we see the demise of ICE across all industries, including road haulage, agricultural, earth moving machinery, marine, etc etc. Farmers will be OK with their Defenders for years to come. They may not be allowed to drive them into the larger city centres, but then they rarely do anyway.
Didn't Harry Metcalfe do a couple of interesting reviews of electric 4X4s for farm use? One being the X5 I think.

Hi , not at present but a have sorned my Shogun and when I finally sell my C207/E400 I will hopefully buy a real 4x4 off roader.
Does that been land rover, range rover, jeep, hilux, outlander... others?
Jimny?
Panda?
😁

Don't knock the Jimny you might get a surprise, my partner has one and its very capable off-roader
Indeed. I wasn't knocking it...i know it's capable. Just not everyone's idea of a desirable off roader, I'd dare to say 😁

The FARMERS 4x4 vehicle of choice for true off road animal husbandry is a quad bike with or without a trailer
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have family members in Northern Italy and Switzerland and AWD is very common over there (and winter tyres a must). Not everyone who buys a car with AWD does so for off-roading. The MB 4Matic and Audi Quatro are very popular, as well as Subaru and others. I guess that in Northern Europe (and large parts of America) there's a huge market for non-off-roading AWD cars, to deal with snow and ice conditions on the roads during the winter months.

Hi , not at present but a have sorned my Shogun and when I finally sell my C207/E400 I will hopefully buy a real 4x4 off roader.
A Mercedes electric one?

Land Cruiser or Hilux.... no offence to Land Rover or G-Wagon affectionados. OK, also Pajero/Shugon at a push. Jeep is for Americans.

And in all that I saw a Pinzgauer axle shown being portal. HHmmm
Now reverse it under a chassis so that the portal goes up & NOT down, and you have a double decker bus rear axle with LoLo centre of gravity!
Daimler Fleetline /Bristol Lowdecker comes mind and the "fahzen"s used by Scottish Bus Group located in me yunger yures on Seafield Road in Glorious Edinburgh ( what a city) . :cool:
Tuercas viejas

Land Cruiser or Hilux.... no offence to Land Rover or G-Wagon affectionados. OK, also Pajero/Shugon at a push. Jeep is for Americans.

Hi , well in truth the real performance difference in 4x4 is the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom