electric aerial dying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classicsl

Car
1988 300SL
Just when you think you have got your old merc running perfectly something has to give, today the electrical aerial motor has been in a mood and either;
- not extended fully when turning on ignition
- partly retracting when turning off ignition
- refusing to budge

spent 15 mins when getting home from work getting the thing to retract fully, dont expect it to do much in the morning, the motors obviously had it and the aerial itself could do with replacing....i feel a large bill coming....

Might just need a new mast?? They do tend to bend slightly or stick.Have you taken it out yet and cleaned it?

peterchurch said:
I agree have at the mast with a baby wipe and some WD40 till you stop getting black crud on the wipe :D

My sentiments entirely. Have saved old aerials using this trick.

thats why i am so worried, it was a bit gunky so a couple of weeks ago spent a good hour cleaning it off and rubbing a good dose of WD40 in. its been getting noisier and noisier recently. it looks pretty straight but will try another clean and keep my fingers crossed!

Try taking the mast out and look for broken teeth on the errr ""dangly plastic bit" that sticks out the bottom.Good chance to see how free the mast moves up and down when not connected to the motor as well ;)

Hmm - not entirely off-topic ;) , but does anyone have a rough idea as to how much a new mast would cost for a W202 or similar.

I know I fitted a complete new aerial on my last W202 (about £100 from memory), but my current W202 has a slightly temperamental mast.

Cleaned it a few times, and about once a month it starts to slightly stick at the bottom of travel (when retracting mainly).

Cleaning and re-greasing seems to help, but I reckon a new mast would be better. :)

If it's too much I won't bother (look out for a new aerial on eBay), or get a complete one from MB when it breaks! Just a very minor observation...

Will

I think the mast retails about £20.

classicsl said:
Just when you think you have got your old merc running perfectly something has to give, today the electrical aerial motor has been in a mood and either;
- not extended fully when turning on ignition
- partly retracting when turning off ignition
- refusing to budge

spent 15 mins when getting home from work getting the thing to retract fully, dont expect it to do much in the morning, the motors obviously had it and the aerial itself could do with replacing....i feel a large bill coming....

Same here, just started yesterday , sometimes comes up, sometimes it doesnt.

Sometimes you will be drving and it will pop up of its own accord ...... :D

Bonkers....

Got a whole new electric aerial system from local car radio shop. Fitted and everything for £60 all in! Job's a goodun! :D

its died all together now, wont go up or down, the motor is making the most hideous high pitched screaching noise. hoping its only the mast!

The fact that it is makeing noises means the motor is prolly ok :) could be the wheel that guides the mast ... you will need to have a look :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom