electric car polishers - any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E class cabriolet 2017
What do the detailers out there recommend ?

A Dual Action (or DA) Random Orbital machine is always good for beginners because the chance of causing damage is much reduced compared with a professional orbital machine such as Rupes. It's also easy to get accessories for and there's lots of clips on YouTube.

I've found Clean Your Car Car Care Products | Detailing Products UK | Clean Your Car have always been helpful with advice on products. They will advise of which compounds work better....MB cars have harder lacquer compared to other makes.

As for being any good. Yes, they take the effort out polishing and can be used for just applying wax and buffing.

What do the detailers out there recommend ?
When I was thinking of getting a polisher this was the one nearly everyone recommended......

When I was thinking of getting a polisher this was the one nearly everyone recommended......

Did you get one?:dk:

I have a Das6 pro... its a good intro into machine polishing.

I used one with Scholl S20 Black 1 step polish and Chemical guys green hex logic pads and got great results.

Koche chem aslo do some great products that are available in 250ml bottles and polish kits... Check out Slims Detailing

I also have a DAS6, bought about 10 years ago and first used on my 968 Guards Red coupe, transformed the colour back to showroom new! Also used it on the 968 cab and the S204. After washing and claying, I used AG Bodyshop paint correction fluid, but it's NLA. 3M Perfectit polish is very good, the version I have is also a slight correction fluid (3000 grit equivalent) and must be machine applied, figured if it was good enough for a very pro high end bodyshop we visited (Lambos, Porsches, AM's, Bentleys etc!) it must be good enough for me! Of course, once polished you must then protect the finish with wax - but that's another "pass the beer and popcorn" thread!!

If you're looking to machine polish, then yes a dual action polisher is the way to go. A rotary is quicker for correction but there's a possibility of too much heat and burning through the paint. With a DA it'll stop spinning if you apply too much pressure, plus by oscillating as well as spinning it'll be hard to damage your paint.

You can still get a good finish hand polishing but you'll correct defects better with a machine. :)

I have a DAS6 Pro in a bag - used it once for waxing and decided it was easier to wax by hand. When this drama is over, I'll be selling it. Never going to be polishing my car & if it is ever needed I'll pay someone (experienced) to do the job.

I have a DAS6 Pro in a bag - used it once for waxing and decided it was easier to wax by hand. When this drama is over, I'll be selling it. Never going to be polishing my car & if it is ever needed I'll pay someone (experienced) to do the job.

You used it for waxing? surely that takes the enjoyment out of waxing? you don't get to enjoy the curves without using your hands

I've tried "machine waxing" before, with a sheepswool pad on a cordless drill, the wool clags up so quickly it's not worthwhile. Same applies to polish - use the DA to apply it, then elbow grease and microfibre cloths to remove it.

No :eek:

I decided I wasn't dedicated enough at polishing my car to need one.
I know the feeling - I bought a cheap version to hopefully rectify a mess I made (note: learn to use masking tape correctly) recently.
At under £24 plus a few quid for a bunch of different attachments, it's not too bad, I recon ...

49789257246_246482376f_o.jpg

I've tried "machine waxing" before, with a sheepswool pad on a cordless drill, the wool clags up so quickly it's not worthwhile. Same applies to polish - use the DA to apply it, then elbow grease and microfibre cloths to remove it.
I just found it easier by hand. As @LeeJV said..."you get to enjoy the curves". I stick with the easy on/off products.

That's a shame just bought a DAS 8 yes Eight this morning been looking for a used one in case it is a five minute wonder for me

I could be easily tempted to part with my DAS6 and attachments as it's unlikely (health reasons) that I'll ever use it again, could also include a selection of paint correction fluids etc!

I bought a DAS6 a long time ago from the company mentioned above in post #3.

It's not been used for a while, just the odd panel here and there, but it practically paid for itself when I had my W201. I wet sanded the roof, boot and bonnet due to the amount of scratches in the paint where the previous owner had been using it for shelving. I could possibly have brought it back by hand polishing but it would have taken a considerable amount of time and effort. The DA, with a good stiff pad and some decent compound, brought a shine to it quite quickly.

It currently lives on a shelf in the garage but isn't costing anything where it is so it can stay there. It's something I wouldn't consider parting with as I know that the moment it goes it will be needed for some trivial job or other. :)

I could be easily tempted to part with my DAS6 and attachments as it's unlikely (health reasons) that I'll ever use it again, could also include a selection of paint correction fluids etc!
I should have put a 'wanted' advert on here might have saved me a few bob

Same applies to polish - use the DA to apply it, then elbow grease and microfibre cloths to remove it.

That's what I did (for the first time) last weekend. Speeds things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom